Some brief initial reactions:
– The first thought that came to mind was the complete sausage party
in Album of the Year. The only female artist nominated is Janelle
Monae, who snuck in as a featured artist on Fun.‘s “Some Nights.” That
seems kinda glaring, considering there were some high-profile,
acclaimed albums by Florence + the Machine, Bonnie Raitt, Pink, and
– Surprising that a bubblegum song like “Call Me Maybe” would get in
for Song of the Year, but not Record. I would have thought it would be
the other way around.
– Does anyone know the standard for determining an “Americana” album?
It’s ironic that Mumford & Sons, a British group, are nominated there.
– Surprising category designations: Florence + the Machine in pop
instead of rock or alternative, Gotye in alternative instead of pop.
– Kelly Clarkson got her first nomination in the general field, though
oddly it’s for one of her less memorable songs.
– Best New Artist usually loves solo female artists, but there are
none nominated this year.
– Pop dominated Album of the Year last year, but this year was almost