Ellen DeGeneres took immediate charge at the Oscars for her second time as host. Her opening monologue took on many of the top nominees like Cate Blanchett, Bradley Cooper, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Matthew McConaughey, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, and more.
She previously was the emcee for the 2006 ceremony in which “The Departed” took home the Best Picture trophy. I felt like she would take somewhat of a “chip on the shoulder” approach since she has not been asked by the various Oscar producers since then.
What were her top 10 moments from the Academy Awards ceremony Sunday night?
2. The Glinda the Good Witch outfit after “The Wizard of Oz” showstopper. She was late to the party and “offended” they didn’t tell her.
3. The pizza party for the audience was funny, but too extended. Anytime she can interact with unsuspecting people is a good thing, though.
5. The “surprise” moment jumping out from behind DiCaprio going into a break.
6. Her changes of outfit, with her own fashion commentary.
7. After last year’s incredibly lengthy Seth MacFarlane opening, she kept her monologue/opening to just well-rounded humor. That alone was a big upgrade.
8. Her concluding opening joke about the two possible scenarios for the night: (1) either “12 Years a Slave” wins Best Picture or (2) everyone is racist.
9. The joke with the cameraman about how important it is to hit your mark.
10. Her willingness to leave the stage and make her intros from so many locations.