‘Dancing with the Stars’ season 24 finale recap: Who won the Mirror Ball Trophy?

Perhaps we should have seen this coming. At the end of a “Dancing with the Stars” season that was notorious for its upsets against high-scoring female celebrities, the first result announced during Tuesday night’s season finale — more than two hours into the two-and-a-half-hour event — was that frontrunner Normani Kordei had finished in third place. So who won instead?

The Mirror Ball Trophy went to football player Rashad Jennings. The NFL star only topped the leaderboard three times this season, but one of those times was during these finals, so he got the scores he needed right when they counted the most. Kordei had the highest cumulative score of any contestant this season, but she finished behind Jennings during the finals, which put her in a position to be picked off by David Ross‘s passionate fans.

When you put together the entire season’s scores, Ross ranked sixth with an average score of 32.2 out of 40 per dance. That was below Nancy Kerrigan (32.6 average, sixth place finish), Heather Morris (33.4 average, eighth place finish), Simone Biles (35.6 average, fourth place finish) and Kordei (36.8 average, third place finish). So his second place finish truly is a remarkable testament to the rabid support of his fan base.

Sign up to get Gold Derby’s free newsletter with experts’ latest predictions

‘Dancing with the Stars’ controversy: Biggest ‘DWTS’ scandals

‘Dancing with the Stars’: Top 10 Best Dances of Season 24

We had given Kordei leading odds of 4/11, which translated to a 77% chance of winning the Mirror Ball Trophy. Jennings ranked second with odds of 7/2, or an 18% chance of winning. We placed Ross third with odds of 20/1, or a 5% chance of winning. So this may be the biggest upset in recent “DWTS” history.

In our weekly predictions contest, two users managed to score a perfect 100% by correctly answering all four of our prediction questions: who would get the high score (Jennings), who would get the low score (Ross), how many 10s the judges would give out (10 or more), and who would win the Mirror Ball Trophy (Jennings). Those users were Tom and Blah Blahblah.

Tom takes first place on our predictions leaderboard because he took advantage of his big bets to score the maximum payouts. He placed his 500-point big bets on Jennings’s high score and 10 or more perfect 10s when both of those outcomes had odds of 2/1, which resulted in a combined 3,000 points added to his score.

Top 10 BEST ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Contestants Ever

Check out the top 10 users in our predictions chart below. Click on the chart to see the complete predictions leaderboard so you can find out how well you did.

dancing with the stars finale dwts predictions leaderboard

What did you think of the finale? Did the right person win the Mirror Ball Trophy, or did you think Ross or Kordei was robbed? Vote in our poll below. Then join the discussion on this and more with your fellow reality TV fans in our forums, and keep up with all the latest Gold Derby entertainment news.

More News from GoldDerby

Loading