Meghan Markle (‘Suits’): 34% of readers say the potential princess will earn an Emmy nomination

We asked our readers if the TV academy would want to give “Suits” actress Meghan Markle an Emmy before possibly quitting acting to become a princess (you can still vote in the poll here). In the past year she has become one of the most famous women on the planet thanks to her relationship with the most eligible bachelor in the world, Prince Harry of Wales. But 66% of respondents believe she’s simply not on the Emmy radar and won’t get a nomination. However, the other 34% said that yes, the Emmys would love to honor her at the peak of her popularity. Check out the poll results below.

Sign up to get Gold Derby’s free newsletter with
experts’ latest predictions and breaking news

Markle has played paralegal Rachel Zane for six seasons on “Suits.” But while the series has been a big hit on the USA Network, it has never scored an Emmy nomination. The biggest recognition the series has received to date was a SAG Award bid for Best Drama Actor (Patrick J. Adams) in 2012 for the acclaimed first season.

USA as a whole doesn’t have a long track record of winning acting Emmys. Only six actors from the network have prevailed: Tony Shalhoub three times for “Monk” (Best Comedy Actor, 2003, 2005-2006), John Turturro for “Monk” (Best Comedy Guest Actor, 2004), Stanley Tucci for “Monk” (Best Comedy Guest Actor, 2007), Judy Davis for “The Starter Wife” (Best Movie/Mini Supporting Actress, 2007), Ellen Burstyn for “Political Animals” (Best Movie/Mini Supporting Actress, 2013) and most recently Rami Malek for “Mr. Robot” (Best Drama Actor, 2016). Thus far Malek was the only victor for a continuing drama series.

Join the live Emmys debate with Hollywood insiders in our world-famous forums

However, those who are optimistic about Markle receiving a nomination are probably taking into account the four open slots in the Drama Supporting Actress category this year. Last year’s winner, Maggie Smith (“Downton Abbey”), prevailed for her show’s final season, so she won’t be back for 2017. And Emilia ClarkeLena Headey and Maisie Williams from “Game of Thrones” are taking the year off as their show will not be airing new episodes during the eligibility period.

Should Markle reap a bid, she could become the favorite to win. Last year the Emmys switched from a ranked ballot to a straight plurality vote, so theoretically you could claim an Emmy with only 17% of the vote. That procedural change probably helped underdogs like Peter Scolari (Best Comedy Guest Actor for “Girls”), Ben Mendelsohn (Best Drama Supporting Actor for “Bloodline”) and Tatiana Maslany (Best Drama Actress for “Orphan Black”) break through.

And two years ago the academy made another big change to its voting procedures: switching from small judging panels to allowing all eligible academy members to vote. With a prince as her potential plus-one, Markle could have the star power to garner support from academy members at large.

But Markle would not be the first American princess to win Hollywood awards. Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956, a year after winning the Oscar for Best Actress (“The Country Girl”). Becoming a princess might mean Markle would have to quit acting, but even though she hasn’t had as storied a career as Kelly, TV academy voters might still want to give her a proper send off.

Predict the Emmy nominees now; change them until July 13

Be sure to make your Emmy predictionsWeigh in now with your picks so that Hollywood insiders can see how their TV shows and performers are faring in our Emmy odds. You can keep changing your predictions until just before nominees are announced on July 13. And join in the fierce debate over the 2017 Emmys taking place right now with Hollywood insiders in our TV forums.

meghan markle emmy poll results

More News from GoldDerby

Loading