Home Forums Daytime TV 2012 Emmys for Anthony Geary and Erika Slezak?

2012 Emmys for Anthony Geary and Erika Slezak?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m putting this out here.…

How about the potential for Anthony Geary (General Hospital) and Erika Slezak (One Life to Live) to win this year’s Emmys for lead actor and lead actress?

Not since the back-to-back 1980 and 1981 Emmys for Douglass Watson (Another World) and Judith Light (OLTL) have one year’s lead winners matched another year’s winners. And the six Emmys each for Geary and Slezak do hold the pattern.

Geary won best actor in 1982, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006, and 2008. Slezak won best actress in 1984, 1986, 1992, 1995, 1996, and 2005.

Leading actresses who won in the same year as Geary’s lead-actor victories were: Robin Strasser (OLTL), 1982; Susan Lucci (All My Children), 1999; Susan Flannery (The Bold and the Beautiful), 2000; Michelle Stafford (The Young and the Restless), 2004; Kim Zimmer (Guiding Light), 2006; and Jeanne Cooper (Y&R), 2008.

Leading actors who won in the same year as Slezak’s lead-actress victories were: Larry Bryggman (As the World Turns), 1984; David Canary (AMC), 1986; Peter Bergman (Y&R), 1992; Justin Deas (GL), 1995; Charles Keating (AW), 1996; and Christian LeBlanc (Y&R), 2005.

With the serials down to just four, thanks to ABC’s 2011 cancellations of AMC and OLTL (which last aired Jan. 13, 2012), perhaps these two are about to become dance partners. After all, either of them might like to break their three-way tie with Deas for a record-making Emmy No. 7.

Jessica
    Participant
    Topics:

When you look at when Erika Slezak has been nominated she has only lost 2 – 1983 and 1988, she has a good track record of winning when nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d love to see her break her own record, and it seems everybody in the industry respects her so a win would be likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

I see Tony Geary as a lock ftw in his category. Erika will be lucky if she gets a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know, I remember thinking when the episode aired that Slezak’s reel was quite strong.  There are certainly some ladies in that category with weaker submissions, AND she’s Erika Slezak, AND her show was just cancelled, so I feel like her chances of a win are at least decent. 

ReplyCopy URL
    darrell moore
    Topics:

I think it’s safe to say that Geary not only has a lock for a nomination but mostly likely will be the odds on favorite at winning this year’s Emmy for Outstanding Actor, despite the fact if it was up to me, Darnell Williams would be winning the award – if he manage to get nominated that is.

As for Slezak, I don’t know the material she submitted, but if submitted the show in which Victoria walked in on her husband sleeping with Kim Zimmer’s Echo, then yeah, I could see her being nominated. That was a great show for Slezak and she was fantastic. And of course Slezak always has her standby bags of tricks when it comes to Victoria’s alter personalities.

That said…I wouldn’t be all that happy if Slezak wins this year. For me a nomination would be enough especially when the actress who played Tea – by natural right – should have made the pre-nomination final cut. I know some feel that Debbi Morgan was a little over the top when Angie learnt of her child’s death, but I was totally glued to the screen. Morgan was simply superb for my money and I would love to see her win the Emmy for Outstanding Actress, if she’s nominated, and I don’t see why she won’t be. IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Linda L. Tatum
    Topics:

Darnell Williams – Best Actor

Debbi Morgan – Best Actress

Period.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Linda L. Tatum
    Topics:

Darnell Williams – Best Actor

Debbi Morgan – Best Actress

Period.  

ReplyCopy URL
    syrus80
    Participant
    Topics:

What did Florencia do last year that would’ve warranted a nod? Tea spent most of last year screaming and being a shrew!

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

I was listening to Daytime Confidential podcast, and they seem to think Debbi Morgan is the frontrunner for best actress. They were analyzing pre-noms. They love Michael Muhney up for best actor, for The Young and the Restless, and wish Morgan’s All My Children costar Jacob Young would’ve been entered in the same race as Muhney.

I am disappointed Florencia Lozano didn’t make the Top 10 cut for best actress, for One Life to Live, and I don’t think Y&R‘s Jeanne Cooper merits a potential nomination for an okay, but not great, year. But I also think a lot of it was name recognition and/or reputation. (Which may explain why Genie Francis is in the supporting-actress running for Y&R. I would’ve preferred a ballot slot for costar Jessica Collins.) And some, like Lozano, were simply shut out because, well, not all could be accomodated.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.