2014 Daytime Emmy Citations

Home // Forums // Daytime TV // 2014 Daytime Emmy Citations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 158 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Paul Vargo
    Participant
    Topics:

January 17th 2014

Days of our lives
    Oustanding Drama Series
    Oustanding Writing Series

EJ and Abby meet at the Horton Cabin. Someone photoghaphs them kissing. Nicole and Eric are held hostage and left for dead. Will and Sonny talk about Sonny’s marriage proprosal to Will. Julie tries to find the whereabout’s of Nick. Maggie confronts Brady about his Drinking. JJ warns Theresa not to mess with Nicole.

January 20th 2014

Days of our lives
    Outstanding Lead Actor- Greg Vaughan (Eric Brady)
    Oustanding Lead Actress- Arianne Zucker (Nicole Walker)

Believing they about to die, Eric and Nicole confess their love for each other.

January 21 2014

Days of our lives
    Oustanding Lead Actress- Allison Sweeny (Sami Brady)

Sami forgiveness of EJ is brought to a halt with news of Eric and Nicole. Sami demands EJ finds Kirstin and bring her to justice.

EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Yay, first post of 2014.  Can we get this stickied?  We don’t need the 2012 thread up there anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Vargo
    Participant
    Topics:

1/28/2014

General Hospital
    Oustanding Drama Series
    Oustanding Writing
    Oustaniding Lead Actress in a Drama Series – Finola Hughes (Anna)
    Oustanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series- Maura West (Ava)
    Oustanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series- Ian Buchanan (Duke )
    Outstanding Youn Actor in a Drama Series- Bryan Criag (Morgan )

Anna confronts Duke about Working with Sonny. Sonny confronts Morgan about still working for Julian and forces him to break it off with Ava. Ava warns Julian not to hurt Morgan or his family. Sam and Dante talk about Dante and Lulu problems. Lulu confides in Nathan.

1/30/2013

General Hospital
    Supporting Actress in a Drama Series- Robin Mattson (Heather Webber)

An emotion Heather tells Carly about her Dad leaving her when she was a child.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Vargo
    Participant
    Topics:

2/04/2014

General Hospital

Lead Actor in a Drama Series- Jason Thompson (Patrick Drake)
    Supporting Actress in a Drama Series- Teresa Castillo (Sabrina Santiago)

Sabrinia confesses to Patrick that the Baby is his.

2/06/2014

General Hospital

Young Actor in a Drama Series- Chad Duell (Michael Corinthos III)

Michael confronts Kiki about helping Franco.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Friday, February 14, 2014
    Days of our Lives
    Best Younger Actor
    Casey Moss — JJ Deveraux

JJ’s day in court finally arrives, as he fear Theresa will do something to sabotage he plea deal or something will go wrong.  Ultimately, he’s granted probation and community service.

No big fireworks here, but I found JJ’s address to the judge about how he’s turned his life around incredibly moving.  I thought Moss played it really well, and it was a great contrast to the stuff he got a lot of attention for when he went nuts in the town square.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

In the name of being more thorough this year, a couple of performances I liked from earlier this week:

Monday, March 17, 2014
    Days of our Lives
    Best Supporting/Lead Actress
    Arianne Zucker — Nicole Walker

Daniel confronts Nicole about finding proof of Kristen’s connection to Dr. Chyka in her hotel room. 

For starters, I have to give Zucker credit for even being able to manifest “sympathetic” knowing everything her character’s been up to, but she totally did.  Zucker gave a great performance here by doing what she does so well, nuance and complexity.  Nicole starts out like she’s gearing up to bed for forgiveness, when she’s still considering telling Daniel the real truth, but smoothly transitions into a mode that’s more faux-exasperated and concerned for Eric.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014
    Days of our Lives
    Best Suppporting Actress
    Kate Mansi — Abigail Deveraux

Abigail and EJ get the results of her tests and learn she’s not pregnant.

Mansi did a great job with the initial feeling of relief immediately followed by sadness and grief at getting the news that Abigail wasn’t pregnant.  Then I liked the way she carried it through the rest of the episode without being terribly overt about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Vargo
    Participant
    Topics:

Wednseday March 19, 2014

The Bold and The Beautiful
    Outstanding Lead Actress
    Katherine Kelly Lang- Brooke Logan

A Drunk brooke talks to Stephanie Picture how she lost Ridge to Katie and wish she was there to help her fight.

ReplyCopy URL
    gdfl
    Participant
    Topics:

^^  Yes, that was a great performance.  In some ways I wish Brooke wasn’t drunk in that scene because I think KKL is more than capable of packing a punch with that script without the distraction of having to play up the intoxication.  

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not good with exact airdates but the episode in which Ava Jerome (Maura West) tells A.J. the story of how he did in fact kill Connie Falconeri. She is so chilling and convincing when she is lying. I would also site MW for the episode in which she told Carlos the story of how she, Ava, had killed Connie!

Freddie Smith for his wonderful scene between Sonny and Victor – it had humor and heart, as Sonny told Victor he is engaged to Will and Victor offers the Kiriakis mansion for their wedding.

Nancy Lee Grahn as Alexis Davis telling Molly and T.J. that they can have sex right then and there while she waits in the living room. Loved the reconciliation between Alexis and Molly when Alexis confesses that Molly has been right about Alexis’ motives.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^  Yes, that was a great performance.  In some ways I wish Brooke wasn’t drunk in that scene because I think KKL is more than capable of packing a punch with that script without the distraction of having to play up the intoxication.  

YES! I absolutely agree, what a great performance by KKL! This is her reel!! Perhaps an intoxicated Brooke talking to Stephanie’s picture on the wall was a bit of a soap cliché, so I do get what you’re saying, gdfl (and you’re right, we don’t have to see KKL play drunk Brooke to know she has the acting chops to pull off scenes like that) but nonetheless I admired what she accomplished here with a difficult monologue. And I LOVED LOVED LOVED (as I always do, but here it really left an impact) the music scoring in this episode. Specifically, the flashback of Stephanie’s death w/ the flute solo, and later, that of Brooke’s promise to Stephanie w/ the oboe accompaniment were true standouts and I found myself welling up just from the music alone! Composers Jack Allocco, David Kurtz, John Nordstrom and music supervisor Lothar Struff all deserve to be cited here for their truly amazing work!

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not good with exact airdates but the episode in which Ava Jerome (Maura West) tells A.J. the story of how he did in fact kill Connie Falconeri. She is so chilling and convincing when she is lying. I would also site MW for the episode in which she told Carlos the story of how she, Ava, had killed Connie!

Freddie Smith for his wonderful scene between Sonny and Victor – it had humor and heart, as Sonny told Victor he is engaged to Will and Victor offers the Kiriakis mansion for their wedding.

Nancy Lee Grahn as Alexis Davis telling Molly and T.J. that they can have sex right then and there while she waits in the living room. Loved the reconciliation between Alexis and Molly when Alexis confesses that Molly has been right about Alexis’ motives.

2/11/14
    Lead Actress
    Maura West as Ava Jerome (GH)

Ava tries to convince AJ he really did kill Connie Falconeri.

2/25/14
    Lead Actress

Ava finally confesses that she killed Connie Falconeri.

I’d also add :
    3/5/14
    Lead Actress

Sonny finds AJ strangling Ava. Sonny shoots AJ. Ava tries to convince Sonny to finish him off.

I love how easily Ava is able to manipulate Sonny and AJ in these scenes and West plays it beautifully. The only issue with these three as potential reels is that the story might be hard to follow for non-viewers. But her performances are fantastic.

3/17/14
    Supporting Actress
    Nancy Lee Grahn as Alexis Davis (GH)

Younger Actress

Haley Pullos as Molly Lansing Davis (GH)

Alexis gives Molly and TJ permission to have sex. Alexis and Molly make up.

I’d also add :
    2/25/14
    Supporting Actress

Younger Actress
    Haley Pullos as Molly Lansing Davis (GH)

Alexis finds Molly and TJ half naked in a hotel room. When Alexis gets Molly back home, they’re both shocked to find Ric waiting for them.

2/12/14
    Supporting Actress

Supporting Actor
    William deVry as Julian Jerome (GH)

Alexis tries to help Julian come to terms with the fact that his son is gay.

I kept going back and forth on whether or not I should cite these scenes since they’re much more low-key than your average Emmy reel. But the scenes themselves and both performances are so well-done I figured I’d include them. (Plus I’d rather over-cite than under-cite so we can keep this thread alive)

3/4/14
    Lead Actress
    Finola Hughes as Anna Devane (GH)

Supporting Actress
    Kathleen Gati as Dr. Liesl Obrecht (GH)

Obrecht confronts Anna and demands information about Faison’s whereabouts.

2/18/14
    Lead Actor
    Jason Thompson as Dr. Patrick Drake (GH)

Supporting Actress
    Kimberly McCullough as Dr. Robin Scorpio-Drake (GH)

Patrick is furious when Robin tells him she’s leaving to save Jason.

3/13/14
    Lead Actor
    Jason Thompson as Dr. Patrick Drake (GH)

Patrick takes his anger about Robin out on Anna and Emma.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would add Jason Thompson’s phenomenal performance when he was begging Robin not to leave and Patrick was in tears – superb acting performance! (:

Parry Shen (Brad Cooper) was terrific today when nutty insane Dr. Olbrecht was menacing him and threw him over a parapet and he wound up in a haystack (: Scenes between Brad and Lucas have all been particularly strong, esp. when they were discussing their problems with their fathers back in January.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matt McClamrock
    Participant
    Topics:

3/25 – Tyler Christopher blew it out of the park with the baby reveal.  It almost seemed like they wanted to showcase him because he got 3 days for his reaction and his 3/26 performance was just as good.  3/25 was short and not really about him, but it started on that day.  

Also, Jane Elliot’s scenes with Maurice Benard on either 3/21 or 3/24 (I don’t recall) where brilliantly written and acted.  I loved that Tracy really let Sonny know how she felt about him.  Elliot’s brilliant in everything!

ReplyCopy URL
    T-Love74
    Topics:

In the name of being more thorough this year, a couple of performances I liked from earlier this week:

Monday, March 17, 2014
    Days of our Lives
    Best Supporting/Lead Actress
    Arianne Zucker — Nicole Walker

Daniel confronts Nicole about finding proof of Kristen’s connection to Dr. Chyka in her hotel room. 

For starters, I have to give Zucker credit for even being able to manifest “sympathetic” knowing everything her character’s been up to, but she totally did.  Zucker gave a great performance here by doing what she does so well, nuance and complexity.  Nicole starts out like she’s gearing up to bed for forgiveness, when she’s still considering telling Daniel the real truth, but smoothly transitions into a mode that’s more faux-exasperated and concerned for Eric.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014
    Days of our Lives
    Best Suppporting Actress
    Kate Mansi — Abigail Deveraux

Abigail and EJ get the results of her tests and learn she’s not pregnant.

Mansi did a great job with the initial feeling of relief immediately followed by sadness and grief at getting the news that Abigail wasn’t pregnant.  Then I liked the way she carried it through the rest of the episode without being terribly overt about it.

Umm, why do u have Kate Mansi as Supporting Actress?? Have the Emmy rules changed again??

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Bless you for registering as a member here just to point that out, lol. I take it you’re a Kate Mansi fan?!

As far as I’m aware, the younger acting submission rules haven’t changed, at least not yet for the better. I think EmmyLoser was already thinking ahead to next year’s Emmys and the likely scenario that Mansi will submit in supporting. If the date of her birthday is correct as it’s listed on Wikipedia, then she’ll be turning 26 this year on Sept. 15th. That means that any scenes airing before then she can technically still submit for consideration in the younger actress category, and anything airing after that would have to be submitted in supporting. But you’re right, the 3/19/14 scenes that EmmyLoser cited are definitely eligible in younger actress.

So, GREAT, GREAT job everyone on all the above citations! It’s wonderful seeing more of us pitch in here. I’m sure that this time next year, we’ll all be really thankful of those who did when we’re browsing through this citations thread looking for possible reel suggestions. And you’re right, OLTLfan, it’s always a good idea to over-cite rather than under-cite (as we can always weed through the less memorable performances at a later time), if anything, at least for getting the correct episode details down, which I saw firsthand can prove to be VERY helpful when searching for specific submissions and there may be conflicting airdates noted in the various episode archives.

I’m saving my place here so I can come back later to cite some of the amazing Y&R performances from last month. For now, just two words: DAVID TOM. The guy has been killing it ever since he first aired as nuBilly back in early February (no easy feat, following in the footsteps of the great Billy Miller and reprise a role he left over ten years ago). I could already cite Tom for almost every single day he’s aired so far, that’s how effortlessly he’s slipped back into the role. Damn, those incredible acting genes must really run in the family (see fellow sister, Heather Tom)!!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 158 total)
Reply To: 2014 Daytime Emmy Citations

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.