2014 Daytime Emmy Reels

Home // Forums // Daytime TV // 2014 Daytime Emmy Reels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • DiMera
    Topics:

So have any actors reels leaked yet? I just saw William deVry (Julian, GH) say that he submitted two episodes. One opposite Roger Howarth and one opposite Maura West and Bryan Craig. Haven’t heard much else yet.

alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Nifty idea on starting this thread!

I haven’t heard much yet either, but I’d say anyone who learns of any specific details down the road on the choice of reels should post here, and we can all discuss those choices then. Sounds good?

ReplyCopy URL
    DiMera
    Topics:

Yep. I was hoping that’s how this would go. Here are Dominic Zamprogna’s (Dante, GH) reels based on his interview with Michael Fairman.

Okay I don’t know how to post a link onto this board. DZ submitted 12/12/13 scenes where Dante and Sonny talk about his relationship with Lulu and losing the baby. For his other episode he submitted 4/15/13 where Dante talks to currently dead Lulu (BluLu) on the Haunted Star.  

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice handle, DiMera. 

It’s a great idea having a thread where we
    can talk about all the submissions.  I haven’t heard anything yet, but
    it’s about time we started hearing trickles. 

Seeing that
    William deVry had said he submitted scenes from two different episodes, I
    got curious and took a look at the rules for performer entries this
    year.  Some interesting stuff.  Peformers were required to enter
    themselves into competition by January 17, and had to
    submit a reel of up to four minutes long containing up to two unedited
    scenes that appeared any time during 2013.  The reels did not have to be
    submitted until January 24.  Based on these, 10
    pre-nominees will be determined based on ballots received from all
    registered, eligible voters.  The pre-nominees will be announced on March 3.  Pre-nominated performers must then submit, by March 17,
    unedited scenes from either a single episode (for hour-long shows) or
    two back-to-back episodes (for half-hour shows), which may or may not
    include material submitted for the pre-nomination round.  These reels
    will be judged by a blue ribbon panel.  Following that, the nominees and
    the winner are then both determined from the same round, effectively
    making the pre-nominees the nominees even though only four or five of
    them would actually be acknowledged as nominees. 

So the takeaways for me are that:
    Anyone who is going to submitted has already submitted, and they’ve
    already had to submit a scene or two for the pre-nomination round.
    Someone who has a kickass scene in an episode where they don’t do much
    else could use that scene to get pre-nommed and then submit a more
    well-rounded episode in the later round to shoot for a nomination/win.
    3. Pre-noms should be available March 3.

It’s
    also funny to note that while the half-hour show rules usually just
    apply to B&B, this year they apply to half the eligible shows,
    B&B, OLTL, and AMC.  I wonder what effect that will have on the
    race.  Curiously, the rules also state that a drama series that is an
    hour submits two episodes from any point in the year for consideration,
    but half-hour shows, based on the wording, actually cannot submit two
    single episode that are non-sequential.  The options are “2 back-to-back
    episodes or two sets of back-to-back episodes,” I guess because it’s
    only fair that they also have to be judged on a consecutive hour of
    material?

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

With the Michael Logan interview w/the higher up from NATAS, I am looking forward to see how the online stories play are factor here. It’s unprecedented and based on quality, iAMC should do really well here between the two. As for the big four, I am rooting for the DAYS/Y&R ensemble, Heater Tom, Maura West, and Jacqueline MacInnes Wood.

Welcome, DiMera! And thanks for the rule breakdown, EmmyLoser.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jessica
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Eileen Davidson is at least submitting her name for consideration.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jessica
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m assuming Prospect Park submits AMC and OLTL but I would be surprised to see many actors in the mix.  I don’t think PP is going to cover the entry fee and many of them are reading to move on and probably don’t think they have the best shot at a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

DAYS submitted and won the WGA for the 05/30/2013 episode…so I assume the show will be submitting that same episode for Outstanding Writing Team contention at the Emmy’s.

This was the episode where Nick reveals to Gabi in the hospital that he was raped in prison and it is also the episode where Kristen was exposed for the attack on Brady and the ensuing explosive confrontation between her and Marlena at the DiMera mansion.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Another great writing showcase for DAYS, as EmmyLoser pointed out in the other thread, is the hilarious Horton tea party with the “pot-ted” donuts! They should definitely also consider submitting that.

And God I hope Jacqueline MacInnes Wood submitted! That younger actress trophy belongs to her!

Thanks, EmmyLoser, for your run-down of the new guidelines and those good pointers. I can’t believe everyone who’s decided to put their hat into the ring, has now already done so, in addition to picking his/her individual scene clips. Yikes! I also find it intriguing how different the submission process is in comparison to previous years. I guess from a judging standpoint and for purposes of conserving time, the new process makes sense, given that there are probably more submissions to evaluate this year. But your second takeaway point is well taken. Honestly, that is just an open invitation for category fraud. It’s kind of ludicrous to think that an actress who, for instance, has had very little screentime all year but who had four glorious minutes of acting to showcase could end up competing (if she chose to submit herself there) in the same category as someone who’s been the MVP of a show (ahem, Eileen Davidson) and had countless of stellar performances week after week. Or is there (hopefully, this year, there is one in place) some kind of a screener that prevents this from happening? And also, has it now come to this, that voters are really this lazy that clips have been reduced to a minimum of only four minutes to base their judging on?

I’m so glad Dominic Zamprogna made those picks. You know, it’s funny because I was gonna cite that performance from 12/12/13 but just didn’t get around to it. But those were indeed some great scenes of his, opposite Maurice Benard, and if he makes the pre-nom/nominee list (which I hope he does and would be very deserving), he should definitely consider submitting that particular episode as his reel.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

I really feel DAYS could garner some serious nominations this year.

If they submit correctly, DAYS has a very strong chance of walking home with Emmy’s in Drama Series, Writing Team, Lead Actress (Davidson) & Supporting Actor (Berris/Vaughn)…they are competitive in Supporting Actress (Zucker/Hall) and Younger Actress (Banus/Mansi) IMO as well. 

Their weakest spot is Lead Actor and Younger Actor…but DAYS will likely repeat with noms for Freddie Smith and Chandler Massey in the later category.

I would love to see DAYS walk home with Lead Actress, Eileen Davidson is massively overdue in this category and literally had the best year in acting of her career.  This role MUST win an Emmy for her…she is too good to be overlooked.

ReplyCopy URL
    laurlnhardy
    Participant
    Topics:

For Days, I think we can all agree that Davidson is a Lead Actress lock.  And if there is any justice, Berris, Vaughn and Zucker will reap Supporting nods.

I’m doubtful that Deidre Hall will submit herself for anything.  She typically does not, and I don’t see that changing this year.

For Younger Actress, I don’t see Mansi getting in this year.  Next year will be her year, if she’s still eligible (not sure what her age is).  Her fluff with Chad and Cameron this year was a time filler.  EJabby will garner her a nomination for sure.

I don’t see Banus as a shoo-in either.  She’s improved immensely since she first joined the show.  It’s like night and day.  But I don’t know if she’s Emmy material.  She might have a shot if she can put together the right reel.  If she is nominated, the nomination will be the reward.   

I think they have a chance at Younger Actor again, though, but not with Chandler.  My prediction: He isn’t even nominated.  Instead, nominations would go to Freddie Smith and/or Casey Moss (who has had a stellar first year).

For Lead Actor, there is always James Scott, who is always front-and-center.  And Martsolf had a banner, front-burner year, even though he spent most of it playing Brady the idiot.  But who knows what category he’d submit himself for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matt McClamrock
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that Davidson is a lock in Best Actress.  Don’t know if she’ll win, but I think she should certainly be nominated.  I have James Scott on my predictions for Best Actor, as well as Zucker and Vaughn in supporting, Banus for younger actress and Massey and Casey Moss for younger actor.  But I think Y&R will likely do well in the acting categories with Stafford (and possibly Cooper if they want to honor her posthumeously) for Best Actress; Bergman, Breaden and LeBlanc (the always ham-it-up Christian LeBlanc will likely get in for that horrible Carmine storyline) for Best Actor; Egan, Hendrickson and Heinle are all highly worthy supporting actress contenders.  Billy Miller should be a frontrunner for Supporting Actor, but don’t count out Greg Rikaart earning another nod.  Hunter King and Max Ehrich will most likely get repeat nods as both grew tremendously over the past year.  

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Great analyses by all of you! Pujolsfan, I’ll still give my thoughts about the Y&R actors at a later time, but for now, here’s what I feel about the issues Scoopster and laurInhardy raised concerning some of the DAYS actors.

I wish Deidre Hall had submitted herself last year in Lead Actress b/c she definitely had the material to justify a nom (she had a bunch of great scenes opposite Chandler Massey during his whole coming out story arc and the aftermath) and could’ve been competitive. But, alas, that slot went instead to Peggy McKay. Hall is so incredibly talented and such a staple in daytime that it’s kind of unbelievable that she’s only garnered three Emmy noms in the early 80’s with no wins, and then no subsequent noms since! I feel like this past year, she just didn’t have enough competitive material to warrant a nom in either category.

Regarding Kate Mansi, I think EmmyLoser once said it best. Her problem is that most of her scenes lack any punch. She’ll have to  look really hard to find scenes that will make a strong impact w/voters. But I do hope she submits those from her 9/16/13 episode b/c there, she captured all the subtleties of playing both tough life coach and compassionate sister to J.J., just perfectly. I don’t know if that will be enough to land her a nom, but we’ll keep our fingers crossed for her.

As for Camila Banus, oddly enough, I feel like she wasn’t strong enough in her scenes at the hospital opposite Berris in the 5/30 episode Scoopster mentioned above, where Nick reveals to Gabi that he was raped in prison. It left me feeling like I wanted a bit more from Gabi’s reaction. It’s unfortunate, b/c she really knocked it out of the park in her scenes opposite Alison Sweeney, when Gabi is confronted by Sami upstairs at the church after Gabi and Nick’s wedding mishap and the truth came out that Will is really Arianna’s father; I thought that was some of her best work there, but sadly this time around, she can no longer submit that for consideration, as those scenes aired in November 2012. For last year’s Emmys, I’d been hoping those scenes would land her a nom for sure.

James Scott is another one of those longtime great daytime actors who is highly overdue for a trophy. He’s certainly had the material this past year to make him very competitive in the Lead Actor race. I’m doubtful though,  that come Emmy time, DAYS will sweep both of the Lead categories. It would be amazing if that happened, but I suspect voters will want to spread some love among all the dramas, and that might show in whoever takes the Lead Actor field.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I love getting into these discussions!  A few things quickly (I’m running out the door but always have a minute for you darlings!):

Deidre Hall did submit in lead actress and was actually prenommed last year, unless I’m really confused.  She submitted an episode with Chandler Massey, if I recall correctly, but it was a really subtle one that just didn’t have a whole lot of impact.  She went through a phase where she wasn’t submitting, but I think now her attitude is just really lax about it, like throwing ideas at a wall to see what sticks.  I think she’ll submit again this year, if for no other reason than to give some of her co-stars additional exposure.  This could be fantastic news for Eileen Davidson, if she and DH both submit episodes surrounding the Marlena/Kristen rivalry.

It’s hard to guess who from DAYS will end up getting in because so much depends on submissions and even where the actors’ heads are in terms of what their strongest work is.  This is especially true with the younger actors.  Kate Mansi definitely has a couple of scenes that could get her on the long list and probably a couple of episode that I think could get her on the short list.  I agree that she’s got a better chance this year, and I think she does’t turn 26 until August, so she’s got some time.  She’s had a good year so far, and it’s only January.  Casey Moss could have a strong shot, but not if the category gets crowded by Chandler Massey and Freddie Smith.  I could see any of the three of them getting nominated, but I don’t have a good idea of what the competition is even like, so it’s hard for me to guess.  All three have standout episodes.  Camila Banus has been good, but I don’t think she’s ever really felt like a contender to me either.  Even her best performances feel to me like they could have been stronger.  But, alokin, I think the scenes you’re referring to, if you mean when everyone finds out about Will being the baby’s father and Sami letting Gabi have it after the wedding doesn’t happen, were mid-January 2013, so she can submit them if she chooses.  That was some of my favorite Ali Sweeney work as well. 

I’ll be back later with other thoughts on this, but wanted to throw those out there really quickly.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

To pick up on the point Pujolsfan was making, I definitely wouldn’t
    count Y&R out by any means.  The show easily has the strongest
    combination of talent and favor with the overall voting pool, and now
    has an EP with a strong record of winning Emmys even when the writing is
    subpar. 

I think this system is fairly similar to what they did
    last year, though last year I didn’t really know what was happening as
    it was happening.  Even though you make a good point, alokin, and the
    whole process of submitting two scenes and then submitting just one
    episode does invite category fraud, it’s probably not any worse than
    it’s been since they went down to the single episode submissions a few
    years ago.  Having the actors submit at least a scene or two for
    consideration for the prenoms at least gives us hope that the work is
    being judged and people aren’t just picking names because they know an
    actor by reputation and have nothing else to go on.  I find this much
    more fair than the system that was in place before, where each show was
    voting on its own prenoms and there was just a popularity contest to see
    who could make the ballot, most infamously abused at Y&R.  It’s a
    catch-22, because the more material there is to judge, the more fair the
    process is in theory, but the less likely voters are to actually watch
    the submissions. 

Can we start trying to guess who some of the
    surprise submissons this year will be?  Who will be a Peggy McKay, a
    veteran with not much screentime submitting in lead, or an Alicia
    Minshew, a clear lead with more screentime than anyone else submitting
    in supporting?  Who won’t bother to submit?  I believe Ali Sweeney and
    James Scott both opted out of submitting last year, and I really really
    hope they haven’t done the same this year.  The two of them along with
    Eileen Davidson and really also Eric Martsolf really lead this show in
    2013.  If I were guessing DAYS submitters, I’d say Davidson, Hall and
    Sweeney in lead actress; Scott and John Aniston and maybe Drake Hogestyn
    in lead actor; Arianne Zucker, Suzanne Rogers, Jen Lilley, Judi Evans,
    Lauren Koslow, and maybe Melissa Reeves and Meredith Scott Lynn in
    supporting actress; Berris, Vaughn, Martsolf, Shawn Christian and Joseph
    Mascolo in supporting actor; Kate Mansi and Camila Banus in younger
    actress; and Massey, Moss and Smith in younger actor.  People I don’t
    think will bother submitting include Kristian Alfonso, Peggy McKay,
    Galen Gering, Casey Deidrick, Nadia Bjorlin, Mary Beth Evans and Wally
    Kurth, among others. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
Reply To: 2014 Daytime Emmy Reels

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.