2016 Soap Opera Leads

Home // Forums // Daytime TV // 2016 Soap Opera Leads

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

What characters would be considered the leads on the four soap operas for this year?

robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

This is always a tough question to answer because there are so many variables. Our impressions of lead vs. supporting evolve as stories evolve and even more so when there is a change in head writer. There is also the question of criteria. Do we base it on air time? Number of episodes? Characters that are driving story? Overall significance to the canvas over the course of time? Do we base placement on the categories in which the actors place themselves? And even if we agree on the criteria, we still may disagree on placement in lead vs. supporting. I use a combination of these criteria when considering placement.

All that said, I notice in your question that you asked about lead characters rather than actors. In that spirit, I tried to make a list of this year’s leading characters and their portrayers.

The Young & the Restless
    Peter Bergman (Jack Abbott)
    Eric Braeden (Victor Newman)
    Justin Hartley (Adam Newman)
    Josh Morrow (Nick Newman)
    Kristoff St. John (Neil Winters)
    Jason Thompson (Billy Abbott)
    Sharon Case (Sharon McAvoy)
    Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea Newman)
    Amelia Heinle (Victoria Newman)
    Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki Newman)
    Gina Tognoni (Phyllis Abbott)

The Bold and the Beautiful
    Darin Brooks (Wyatt Spencer)
    Scott Clifton (Liam Spencer)
    Don Diamont (Bill Spencer)
    Thorsten Kaye (Ridge Forrester)
    Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke Logan)
    Rena Sofer (Quinn Fuller)
    Heather Tom (Katie Logan)
    Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy Forrester)

Days of Our Lives
    Billy Flynn (Chad DiMera)
    Galen Gering (Rafe Hernandez)
    Eric Martsolf (Brady Black)
    Stephen Nichols (Steve Johnson)
    Kristian Alfonso (Hope Brady)
    Mary Beth Evans (Kayla Brady)
    Jen Lilley (Eve Donovan)
    Arianne Zucker (Nicole Walker)

General Hospital
    Maurice Benard (Sonny Corinthos)
    Tyler Christopher (Nik Cassadine)
    Billy Miller (Jason Morgan)
    Genie Francis (Laura Spencer)
    Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis)
    Finola Hughes (Anna Devane)
    Kelly Monaco (Sam Morgan)
    Maura West (Ava Jerome)
    Laura Wright (Carly Corinthos)

This is not meant to be an exclusive list. There are others who could, arguably, be added.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with most of what you said, the only one I truly question is Genie Francis (explain if you will).

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

That list looks pretty spot-on, robbalto, though I also felt a little questionable about Genie Francis. I guess she’s had more story since I haven’t been watching. I would be tempted to add William DeVry for GH.

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

My rationale for Genie Francis: for the last few months, Genie has aired heavily, as often as almost anyone else on the show. Also, given her legendary stature, I find it difficult to place her in supporting. On a similar note, I always consider Finola Hughes a lead, even though she takes long breaks.

William DeVry is one of the actors I would classify as borderline lead/supporting. Same with Roger Howarth, Rebecca Herbst, Rebecca Budig, and Michael Easton.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s hard to determine what’s lead and supporting these days. When Gina Tognoni was on Guiding Light, she was most definitely lead, but she kept being submitted and winning for supporting. Let’s not even get into Peggy McCay being considered lead just a couple of years…

Genie Francis can be considered either or if we’re going by Daytime Emmy standards. If you consider her the new matriarch of the show, then she would be as “leading” as Peggy McCay was in 2014. If you’re going by storylines, then she would be as “supporting” as Peggy McCay was in 2015.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Rebecca Herbst is the classic example of a supporting actress for GH. The last time she truly headlined her own story arch was her rape storyline back in 1997. Since then she has either appeared only in support of another character (such as Lucky or Jason) or hasn’t appeared at all. There have been times we’ve gone months without seeing her on-screen. Even in her more recent storylines involving Jake/Jason she’s mostly served as the support for other character like Jake/Jason, Sam or Carly.

Not to mention the fact that she’s nearly been fired several times; including this past year.

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Genie has been mostly wasted on GH. Most of her story has been being concerned mother for Lulu or Nikolas and later concerned grandmother for Spencer. The side story with Kevin happens for a day and then gets dropped for a couple weeks at a time. I think most of her stuff is so reactive she’s supporting like she was in 07.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Rebecca Herbst is the classic example of a supporting actress for GH. The last time she truly headlined her own story arch was her rape storyline back in 1997. Since then she has either appeared only in support of another character (such as Lucky or Jason) or hasn’t appeared at all. There have been times we’ve gone months without seeing her on-screen. Even in her more recent storylines involving Jake/Jason she’s mostly served as the support for other character like Jake/Jason, Sam or Carly.

Not to mention the fact that she’s nearly been fired several times; including this past year.

ABC’s handling of their various on-air talent this year is going to make the Daytime Emmys consider adding a category for “Outstanding Performer Involved in a Messy Contract or On-Air Replacement Situation.” So far they’ve got Rebecca Herbst, Tyler Christopher, Nick Stabile, Kelly Ripa, Michael Strahan, Kirsten Storms and Molly Burnett, and it’s only July! I guess we could also throw in the fired and then quickly rehired Brandon Beemer at DAYS.

Anyway, I am very glad that Genie Francis is now getting something more to do than just making that frowny face of I-told-you-so-concern at Lulu and Nikolas.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  EmmyLoser.
    ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Storms issue was medical not contractural?

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Storms issue was medical not contractural?

It was. Not contractual at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Correct, Storms’ situation wasn’t contractual at all, but I think does fall under messy on-air replacement situation.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: 2016 Soap Opera Leads

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.