Home Forums Daytime TV 2017 Daytime Emmy Changes

2017 Daytime Emmy Changes

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
  • GHFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I hadn’t seen this posted yet, but there a few rule changes for he upcoming Daytime Emmys.

Most notably, the nominees can now submit scenes from up to 4 episodes, but no longer than 20 minutes in total. This is a change from last year, where you could only include up to 2 episodes. I think this is a great change, as it allows others to see more of a variety.

Another change is that the shows can submit 2 full episodes for Writing and Directing now, as opposed to 1 previously (it remains 2 for drama series as well).

They have also added a Supporting/Guest Actress and Supporting/Guest Actor for web series. This is great that they have further expanded the web series categories every year.

Full Article Here: http://www.welovesoaps.net/2016/10/44th-annual-daytime-emmy-awards-changes.html?m=1

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for sharing (: How I wish they would change the Guest Performer Emmy category to include short visits from returning actors/actresses, such as Robin Mattson, Paul Telfer, Robert Scott Wilson, in addition to newcomers, such as Bree Williamson and Nick Stabile. It might be an inducement for short-term roles by old favorites!

I think this rule will help but it will also require more thought on the part of the participants.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks, GHFan! I had been looking for rules for next year’s awards and not finding them, so this is great.

Cool changes for next year. I always think the more submissions the better, so I love the addition of the second episode in writing and directing. Is it optional to submit two episodes rather than one, or is that just the way the academy phrases it (may submit vs. must submit)?

The changes to the actor submission rules are interesting. I guess this four-episode limit would apply to B&B actors as well, rather than them being able to submit from up to four pairs of back-to-back episodes? The idea of an actor patching together a reel of 20 minutes from eight different episodes seems crazy. I also wonder how many actors will use more than two episodes to assemble their reels. Four different episodes allows for a wide variety of great acting, which is awesome, but also brings the possibility of losing any coherent arc that might be represented in the reel. And as Freeman said, the more episodes a performer is using, the more thought they’ll have to put into it. Will it possibly deter some people from submitting? Will it make category fraud even easier because it’s much easier to get a longer reel out of four episodes than two? Only time will tell!

In any event, I’m excited this awards season is underway.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: 2017 Daytime Emmy Changes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.