Home Forums Daytime TV 2017 Daytime Emmy Sumbissions

2017 Daytime Emmy Sumbissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
21 hours ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

Thursday, February 1, 2017
    Days of Our Lives
    Outstanding Lead Actress: Arianne Zucker as Nicole

Nicole finds an injured Dario and stays by his side while waiting for help; Nicole sits by Dario’s bedside at the hospital; Nicole has an explosive confrontation with Deimos and breaks off their relationship; Nicole finds Chloe breastfeeding her baby.

Arianne Zucker once again demonstrates her ability to transcend the often-weak scripting of Days. She brought her A-game and was completely convincing. Nicole’s argument with Deimos was intense, while her encounter with Chloe showcased Nicole’s angry indignation (and was fun in a campy, soapy way). Arianne is arguably the quintessential daytime actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Monday, February 20, 2017

Best Writing: The Young and the Restless

Best Supporting Actress: Tracey E Bregman as Lauren Fenmore Baldwin, The Young and the Restless

The writing was particularly strong on today’s episode. Excellent scenes between Billy and Victoria; Lauren, Michael and Paul; Nick and Sharon…

Lauren’s new storyline concerning her son Scott has started and TEB has brought her “A” game. Very strong work from her today, with lots of different emotions: scared, happy to hear from Scott, back to fear and a range of emotions in between. Very strong work from her.

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

Monday, February 20, 2017
    Days of Our Lives
    Outstanding Lead Actress: Arianne Zucker as Nicole
    Outstanding Supporting Actress: Judi Evans as Adrienne

Nicole learns in court that she has lost custody of her baby to Chloe; Nicole has yet another explosive confrontation with Deimos and tells him she never wants to see him again. An angry Adrienne confronts Deimos and demands answers about Sonny. Nicole’s confrontation overlapped with Adrienne’s, which added to the dramatic tension.

Today was another high-stakes day in the life of Nicole. Zucker played it to the hilt and, despite the cliched soapiness of the script, she was totally convincing. Over the last few years, Arianne Zucker has demonstrated exceptional versatility and has now positioned herself as one of the best in daytime. Evans was in rare but fine form as the usually mild Adrienne threatened Deimos. It was fun watching Zucker and Evans work together. An extra-added bonus was that Evans and Irizarry played on-screen lovers over 30 years ago on Guiding Light.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I had forgotten about Beth and Lujack and have never made the connection! That was the only role I have ever liked VI in.

And yes, these were two really terrific citations! Nothing is ever easy for Nicole, that’s for sure, and the only saving grace is it gives AZ yet another chance to shine, which I am certain she will do.

As for Judi Evans, I adore her. Beth, Paulina, Adrienne and Bonnie – four great roles in one daytime television career! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    tennisfreak
    Participant
    Topics:

February 20, 2017
    Lead Actress
    Finola Hughes as Anna Devane
    General Hospital

Supporting Actress
    Jane Eliot as Tracy Quartermaine
    General Hospital

Ok seriously where has this show been? This was a really good hour mostly because it focused on some of its best actors (and any reason to see Robin is a good reason). Anna getting her diagnosis was brilliantly played and it’s a good juicy story for Hughes to work with that keeps the action in the hospital where it belongs. Eliot and Kurth did brilliant work in their two hand scenes too. It’s always a good decision to center action with two actors who know their stuff and have about 25-30 years of chemistry to draw on (Eliot and Kurth, Hughes and McCullough) and it will ALWAYS be the right call.

ReplyCopy URL
    GHFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I was just coming here to cite both Tracey Bregman and Finola Hughes, but you both beat me to it! It was great to see 2 of my favorite veteran actresses finally get some meaty material to sink their teeth into, especially Tracey, who hasn’t been given much in the last few years.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Best Supporting Actor: Greg Vaughan, Days Of Our Lives
    Best Supporting Actress: Deidre Hall, Days Of Our Lives

Marlena goes to Eric’s apartment and they have a heartrending conversation where she wants him to come home but he is still consumed by guilt over the death of Daniel. These scenes had so much heart, anguish, tenderness, and love. Really strong yet simple performances that touched my heart.

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

Tracey Bregman, Finola Hughes, Jane Elliot, Greg Vaughan, Deidre Hall… I agree with all of the above citations. Interesting that all of our citations lately are for the vets.

Hughes’s story looks like it might be one that is worthy of her talent. Bregman is a very engaging actress who deserves a big story. And of course we all love Jane Elliot, all the time, regardless of the story.

And as a side note, it’s great seeing Wally Kurth for two hours in a row.

Freeman: “These scenes had so much heart, anguish, tenderness, and love. Really strong yet simple performances that touched my heart.” This response to Marlena and Eric’s scene reminded of the type of scenes that were written for these characters previously, back in 2015. Hopefully we will see more of this type of writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Elizabeth Woolridge
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Musical Performance in a Talk Show or Morning Program?

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Musical Performance in a Talk Show or Morning Program?

It’s funny you ask that, because I was just coming here to inquire on a related topic… does anyone know when voting happens for the other categories not pertaining to the Daytime Drama Series, like for the talk shows, morning programs, music performances, etc. Does the judging on these categories usually follow the same voting schedule as with the acting categories (Feb. 20), or does it start later? (I’m assuming the schedule for the submissions process is the same)

But, to answer your question… the duet Jennifer Lopez and Lin-Manuel Miranda performed last summer on the Today Show, “Love Make the World Go Round”, following the mass shooting at the Orlando nightclub, tops my list. It was really moving and inspirational.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

If I’m reading the schedule correctly, any earlier judging rounds (both the pre-nom round for acting and the other categories that have a preliminary round of judging) are timed so that all final judging and balloting is happening within the same time frame, this year between Feb. 20 and March 14.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Earlier I wrote a whole post citing Marci Miller for supporting actress for Thursday’s episode of DAYS (2/23), but it disappeared when I tried to make a couple of simple edits to it (bolding and italicizing text). Maybe it’ll come back, and I don’t want to repeat the whole thing, but I’ll just say I appreciated the range and depth of feeling Miller put into the performance, as Abigail struggled with Chad’s connection to Gabi, and felt she made the emotion quite relatable, even if the situation really isn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Ahh okay, that makes sense. I figured there would have to be some overlap in both voting processes. Thanks EmmyLoser for the helpful info. I had just been curious since it occurred to me the other day I don’t really know much about how voting is generally done for the other daytime categories.
    Thnx also for the editing tip!

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems like we put this thread on a shelf when February sweeps ended!

Friday, March 24, 2017
    Days of our Lives
    Best Supporting Actress
    Judi Evans – Adrienne Kiriakis

Adrienne prepares for her double mastectomy with support from Kate, Justin, Lucas and Sonny. Despite having her breasts immediately reconstructed after the removal, she is concerned about not being herself and not having real breasts.

Both the writing and performances in this storyline continue to be very good. Judi Evans is doing a fantastic job with this, and could probably put together a beautiful Emmy reel for next year, if the same submission rules apply, with parts of this story. Here she delivers on some very well written scenes. I think the show is handling this story quite well, with the exception of it not getting as much attention and airtime as I might like. Lauren Koslow and Freddie Smith (the actor, not the chemical engineer who Brady is pretending to be, LOL) were both great as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Uh oh. I did that thing where I tried to edit my post and it disappeared, and now I can’t repost it because the site thinks it’s a duplicate. This is mostly a test to see if I can post something else successfully and to see if the post will still read as a duplicate even if I post another post like this one before re-posting the previous one.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.