Home Forums Daytime TV 2017 Daytime Emmys – Episode Submissions

2017 Daytime Emmys – Episode Submissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
GHFan
FreemanGriffin
  • GHFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Fairman did his annual post nominations show last night and had many of the nominees on who verified which scenes they submitted. Most of the races should be very competitive because, in my opinion, everyone who was on his show submitted the best they had.

Laura Wright: It sounds like she took full advantage of the 4 episode rule and told a full story through editing. She said she started with a scene with Morgan alive where she is giving him the jade necklace because she wanted to establish who Morgan was. She then went into finding out about his death (10/12/16). She also mentioned the scene where Dante explains to her how he died and she also referenced his funeral (11/12/16).

Billy Flynn: Submitted the scenes after he finds out Stefano died where he “sees” Stefano and they hash out all their history (3/1/16). He also submitted the scenes where he gets confirmation that Abigail died and then destroys the Dimera den (8/31/16).

Jess Walton: Submitted the scenes where Billy is in the hospital and she goes off on everyone in the waiting room (1/5/16). She also submitted the scenes where Jill confronts Phyllis in the hotel room about her affair with Billy (7/27/16).

Steve Burton: Submitted the Sully reveal and having to give up the baby to Nick (11/2/16 & 11/4/16).

Lexi Ainsworth: Submitted the scenes where she comes out to Sonny (7/27/16). She also referenced that she submitted scenes with Parker, but didn’t specify which.

Kate Mansi: Submitted the episode where she submits Ben on fire (4/11/16)! She also submitted scenes where she committed herself (4/26/16) and ending with scenes of her telling JJ that she thinks she will be there awhile.

Peter Bergman: Jack confronts Phyllis about the affair (9/16/16).

Chloe Lanier: The scenes with Morgan at the bar where she relates to
    Him shortly before his death (10/6/16). She also submitted scenes with Michael after Morgan’s funeral and the scenes where she drugged Sonny and woke up with him the next day (11/28/2016).

Nancy Lee Grahn: Didn’t give any specifics, but just said a bunch of scenes surrounding the disintegration of her relationship with Julian and her alcoholism.

James Reynolds: Submitted Abe actually being shot and the scenes in the hospital after (10/1/16 is when the actual shooting occurred).

Gina Tognoni: Her on the stand at Victor’s trial and the confrontation with Jack about the affair (3/25/16 & 9/16/16).

EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you so much for posting these, GHFan! I’m so excited to be getting this information.

These all sounds like very strong submissions indeed. I love Laura Wright’s example of telling a story and submitting work all revolving around basically one storyline or theme. I would think those submissions would have an edge over those with less related story playing out, but who knows. Hopefully these all get posted online and we can watch them. With the way the system is now, it still feels impossible to make an informed decision without watching the reels, and sometimes even then!

ReplyCopy URL
    GHFan
    Participant
    Topics:

From a SoapCentral interview, Vincent Irizarry submitted the 10/21/16 episode where Nicole tells him the truth about the baby. He also ended the reel with a scene where he was playing piano for Nicole after they made love to try and show a softer side to Deimos.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t believe that VI got nominated based on those scenes!

I listened to Michael Fairman’s show as well and it’s harder now to access reels until you see them because they are edited from various episodes. There was agreement, for example, that Billy Flyn had left off his reel his very best scene (I still have a hunch he will win the Emmy).

I hope NLG submitted the episode in which Alexis realizes that Julian killed Carlos. Mesmerizing work.

I think Gina Tognoni mentioned the scenes on the witness stand?

I think Kate Mansi has a realy strong shot at winning with her submission.

I would love to know what John Aniston submitted!

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I knew when I watched that episode of DAYS that Vincent Irizarry would submit it and be nominated. It occurred during a time when Deimos was at or near his least awful, and the episode had a great arc for him with lots of range, which is still better coming in a single episode or consecutive sequence than it is grabbed from three or four different storylines. It also seemed likely Gina Tognoni would submit scenes of Phyllis on the witness stand during Victor’s trial, and that it would work well for her, though I didn’t see the fallout from her affair with Billy so I wasn’t sure if that work would eclipse those earlier scenes. And I do remember Billy Flynn having stronger work than the episodes that are mentioned here, but he was so great through the year. I’m certainly rooting for him to win.

But I agree it is nearly impossible now to judge submissions without actually seeing them because the editing is so crucial and can change everything. I learned that lesson a few years ago, when I made a big stink about Chandler Massey’s Emmy reel being wrong, or so I thought, because quite a few scenes from the episode were missing, but I was assured by the editor who put together the reels for DAYS that this was what Chandler wanted to submit and what was submitted. He ended up winning anyway, in a year when both Bryan Craig and Chad Duell were nipping at his heels.

Anyway, I hope NATAS puts the reels online soon, and then the arguing can really begin.

ReplyCopy URL
    GHFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s a few more submission confirmations that I found from various interviews.

Hunter King – Summer learns the truth about Luca and they split up (8/26/16). Summer goes to visit him in jail and puts him in his place (9/9/16).

Kelly Sullivan – Sage confronts Sharon after figuring out the truth about Christian/Sully (4/28/16).

Stacy Haiduk – Patty breaks down in the mental institution with Paul (2/8?) and Patty torments Sharon.

Alyvia Alyn Lynd – Finding out Sage died, finding out the truth about the baby, and running away from home.

James Lastovic – Ava tells Joey she’s dying and he grieves about with his dad; Joey kills Ava; Joey goes to his dads office to say goodbye right before leaving for the commune.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks again, GHFan, though I think the end of James Lastovic’s description should say commune, not convent?

ReplyCopy URL
    gatorman
    Participant
    Topics:

When will we find out what they submitted for Drama, Writing and Directing?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Stacey Haiduk’s reel will be quite strong imo.

we usually don’t find out about Drama, Writing and Directing until the last week or so before the Emmys.

I am surprised that Peter Bergman is considered the favorite for Best Actor. I honestly think Billy Flynn is going to win, for the same reasons I was certain Tyler Christopher would win last year.

Hunter King’s reel will bore me ):

I would imagine that Anna Maria Horsford submitted the scenes where she finds out and then reacts to her husband’s other child from another woman; she had no other material in 2016!

ReplyCopy URL
    JONNYSBRO
    Participant
    Topics:

I gotta say this lead actress category is the best i have seen. So much talent thats amazing. Gina Tognoni reel was amazing. All those actresses had stellar stuff. Jess Walton was amazing in stuff she had, Nancy Grahn awesome with the drunk stuff, Heather Tom killed it with Katie being drunk, Laura Wright amazing with michael death. I have to see all the reels but IMO Gina probably has the best stuff. That stuff on the stand was brilliance and also the stuff with the Billy/Phyllis fallout.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

James Lastovic (Joey Johnson) interview with SoapCentral.Com

I submitted three scenes. One scene was the scene after Ava [Tamara Braun] tells Joey that she’s dying. Joey goes home and is sort of grieving about it, and his dad comes in to find him pretty bent out of shape. And then I submitted the scene where Joey kills Ava in the hospital room, and then the third scene was right before Joey leaves for the commune, he goes to his dad’s office to say goodbye. He doesn’t really say goodbye, because he’s not telling him. But in his own subtle way, he’s saying goodbye

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/ghs-nancy-lee-grahn-dishes-on-alexis-falling-off-the-wagon-the-julexis-conundrum-and-her-emmy-nominated-work/2017/04/01/

NLG revealed her Emmy reel details to Michael Fairman. Based on the interview, she submitted scenes from 5/16, 6/29, 11/17 & 11/23. She was wonderful all year long but I think she had better options.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: 2017 Daytime Emmys – Episode Submissions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.