Home Forums Daytime TV 2017 Goldies category placement discussion thread

2017 Goldies category placement discussion thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Just thought we would discuss how to improve next year’s Goldies for daytime and also start to discuss category placements, esp. so we don’t have a repeat of last year’s problem where there were several actors who would have been nominated but their votes were split between Lead and Supporting categories.

I was thinking the other day about Guest/Limited Performer. Several names come quickly to my mind: Paul Telfer (Zander) on Days; Robert Scott Wilson (Ben) on Days; Robin Mattson (Heather) on GH; Kimberly McCullough (Robin) on GH; Brooklyn Rae Silzer (Emma) on GH; Constance Towers (Helena) on GH (I believe she had some scenes in 2016, on her deathbed?); Elizabeth Bogush (Dr. Anderson) on Y&R; Stacey Haiduk (Patty) on Y&R); would Sean Kanan’s Deacon be considered a Guest/Limited Perfomer? He hasn’t been on very much. The actor who plays Clyde on Days. Trent Dawson on GH. The actor who replaced Tyler Christopher as Nicholas on GH…. who else?

And the usual problem with Younger Actor/Actress: who is eligible and who is over 25 years old?

I have a thought that we could pick four actors and actresses from each show who we generally all agree are Leads and the rest of the cast would be considered Supporting? yay or nay?

It’s not until January 2017, but discussing it a bit beforehand could be fun and useful (:

robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked your categorization from the thread you did not too long ago. EmmyLoser pointed out that the placements for Melissa Reeves and Arianne Zucker should be reversed. But aside from that, I think your choices were on target. I will give it some more thought and reply when I have some firm ideas. With both Y&R and Days in a state of flux, our perceptions might change before the year ends.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, other than the few mentions I made in the other thread, I thought your placements were great, Freeman. But I’d totally be in favor of us agreeing on four leads per show and making everyone else (who isn’t younger or limited/guest) supporting. Even without specific limits, though, I am very much in favor of assigning actors to categories so their votes aren’t split.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

here are my current thoughts on who might vie for Best Lead Actress; I could only come up with three each from B&B and Y&R, oddly enough…

B&B: Rena Sofer (Quinn), Heather Tom (Katie), and Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy)

Days: Kristian Alfonso (Hope), Mary Beth Evans (Kayla), Kate Mansi (Abigail), and Arianne Zucker (Nicole)

GH: Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis), Kelly Monaco (Samantha), Maura West (Ava), and Laura Wright (Carly) (honorable mention: Rebecca Budig as Hayden)

Y&R: Sharon Case (Sharon), Melissa Clare Egan (Chelsea), and Gina Tognoni (Phyllis) (I find everyone else to be Supporting for 2016?)

For Lead Actors:

B&B: Darin Brooks (Wyatt), Scott Clifton (Liam), Thorsten Kaye (Ridge), and John McCook (Eric)

Days: Billy Flynn (Chad), Vincent Irizarry (Deimos), and Stephen Nichols (Steve) (everyone else feels borderline? Is John Aniston’s Victor a lead or a supporting player for 2016?)

GH: Maurice Benard (Sonny), William deVry (Julian), Roger Howarth (Franco), and Billy Miller (Jason)

Y&R: Peter Bergman (Jack), Eric Braeden (Victor), Justin Hartley (Adam), and Joshua Morrow (Nick)

(this could change with 3 months to go, of course!)

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

These look good to me! If we were looking for a fourth for the lists where there are only three, here are my thoughts:

For lead actress on B&B, I think KKL would be a good inclusion. She did seem to be playing second fiddle to Heather Tom when Katie was the focus of their storyline, but since Katie discovered Brooke and Bill’s affair, Brooke’s been the focus, and is now at the center of a brewing triangle with Bill and Ridge.

I only watched a couple of months of Y&R, so obviously I’m not the expert, but the other two actresses who seemed to be potential leads at the time were MTS and Melissa Ordway.

You’re right that most of the guys on DAYS feel borderline. Galen Gering gets enough screentime and feels like he should be a lead, but the Rafe character still seems kind of marginal, even with the whole Hernandez family hanging around. I’d say John Aniston is a better next choice, as Victor’s been pretty front and center so far this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.