March 13, 2014 at 6:59 am #425981
Looking over the list of pre-noms there are many who I want to see nominated but there are 5 who if they aren’t nominated I will be really angry! (and there are a few who I will be angry if they are on the list: Maurice Benard, Heather Tom, Robert Adamson, Cynthia Watros, and Ashlyn Pearce would be my top 5 for that category!)
So, the five who absolutely MUST make the final ballot for me are:
1. GREG VAUGHAN for his Eric Brady on Days – he moved me to tears and so deserves an Emmy win! I can think of at least 12 episodes he could submit, it’s an embarrassment of riches! The problem is: Days has historically done poorly at the Emmys, so many really great actors and actresses have been overlooked because, I believe, it’s on NBC and there is bloc-voting done by ABC and CBS panelists.
2. JANE ELLIOT as Tracy Quartermaine on GH – she’s been phenomenal! She deserved nominations years in which she didn’t submit and I just hope the panelists get how special she is!
3. EILEEN DAVIDSON as Kristen DiMera on Days – what can I say? She made Days extra special during 2013 – she played crazy better than anyone else and she was also sometimes quite moving despite playing such a delusional character! She had chemistry with everyone she interacted with throughout the year.
4. FREDDIE SMITH as Sonny Kiriakis on Days – he plays a nice guy, a mostly quiet character, he doesn’t get to do the big emotions all that much – but he’s terrific in all of his scenes and he has been extra special particularly during May sweeps and again in November sweeps. Sonny and Will’s love was so strong due to the actors portraying them (this is still the case with Guy Wilson in 2014). The scene where he talks to Justin about his love for Will absolutely rocked my soul back in May.
5. ARIANNE ZUCKER as Nicole Walker on Days – she delivered her best performances ever in 2013, which is saying alot because she always delivers! The scene where Eric accuses Nicole of rape was simply out of this world good – oh, how I wish for a tie in the Best Actress category!
and if I can throw in a #6 it is Alison Sweeney as Sami Brady, simply because it is insane she has never been nominated for an Emmy, and she was (as usual) superb throughout 2013! Boy, I will miss her like crazy in 2015!
You may notice an abundance of Days actors. Historically the blue ribbon panels have favored GH and Y&R, but I am hoping that Days gets the most nominations this year.March 13, 2014 at 7:23 am #425983
^^ I’d agree with most of this list. I can’t imagine Tom or Benard being overlooked, and I am less sick of them than most people around here (especially Tom, whose efforts and talents are hard to deny), but I don’t think either of them deserve the win this year.
I would add Amelia Heinle to Supporting Actress. I have been a fan of her on Y&R since her first scenes opposite Peter Bergman in 2005, and have pretty consistently defended her since then. But she really proved herself this year, and I think she deserves to be credited for it.
I want to put Kelly Sullivan on that list too, but the fan reaction to her exit compared to her debut could be reward enough.
If there was one ‘must win‘ this year, it has to be Eileen. As much as I love Zucker (and some of the other prenoms), relatively speaking, there was no one better than Eileen Davidson.March 14, 2014 at 3:43 am #425984
Well, y’all know two actors that would’ve made my top two for consideration here – Jacqueline MacInnes Wood and Melody Thomas Scott – already got eliminated in the pre-nom round.
But I must contend with gdfl when it comes to Heather Tom and Maurice Benard. I think both had standout years and would be really deserving of noms. Tom’s talent is undeniable and of course I make it no secret she’s one of my all-time favorite actresses. But even as mind-boggingly AMAZING the acting in her scenes was last July, I do get why people would have some Heather Tom fatigue by now, especially considering she’s won three years in a row. And even I have to admit it would be kinda insane if we were to see her walk up that stage to accept the award yet again this year. There truly is no actress more deserving than Eileen to take home that Lead Actress trophy, so I would also say that if there was one ‘must win’ this year, it has to be Eileen.
So just considering eligibile actors already narrowed down by the list of pre-nominees, here’s who made it onto my top five wishlist:
1. KATHERINE KELLY LANG, B&B – All those brilliant Heather Tom performances would essentially not have worked or left as much of a dramatic impact on viewers had it not been for an equally impressive KKL reciprocating that brilliance from her own end. Aside from only Laura Wright, imo, Lang does the best crying scenes out of any daytime actress. When Brooke’s eyes start welling up, we feel and cry with her. I feel like all too often Lang gets unfairly overlooked by critics who mistakingly assume she’s overshadowed in her acting by Tom, but I’d be delighted if she were to finally join Tom in making it onto the final ballot as a lead actress nominee.
2. JESSICA COLLINS, Y&R – What I so appreciate about Collins is that she always brings to her character Avery just the right balance of depth and emotional complexity and makes it all look so effortless. She could easily just opt to fade into the background, but she has this unique ability to underline many of the great performances from her scene partners all while never being outshined by them. I admire Collins’ jump to lead, and imo, she’d be a highly deserving lead actress nominee.
3. AMELIA HEINLE, Y&R – Ditto what gdfl said above. What a stellar year she had. The Delia storyline was just as much a showcase for her acting prowess as it was for Miller and Hendrickson. I simply cannot believe this would actually be her first ever nom considering all her years of magnificent supporting work on the show!
4. ERIC MARTSOLF, DAYS – He has gotta be one of the most underrated actors in daytime! Martsolf was criminally overlooked a few times already in past years for Brady’s addiction storylines. If anything this past year demonstrated, it’s that Martsolf has plenty of acting range to complement the charm with which he’s graced the screen. Alongside Vaughan, he would be an extremely worthy nominee and I wish we could have at the very minimum two DAYS supporting actors make it onto the ballot this year.
5. ARIANNE ZUCKER, DAYS – In describing what exactly it is that Zucker does so amazingly well that sets her apart from most other actors, gdfl once stated it perfectly over on pg. 5 of the 2013 Citations thread: “In the hands of a lesser actress, Nicole would have become a forgotten yawn a long time ago, but Zucker conveys Nicole’s emotional conflicts and wounds with finesse. When the writers started this new direction with Nicole I would not have been surprised if Zucker started phoning it in, but instead it has been a pleasure to watch how sincerely she is playing this character’s complexity”. Love that statement! In no way could I have expressed these same sentiments any better! And how amazing would it be if for the first time in Emmy history we’d have not one but two lead actress nominees both hailing from DAYS all in the same year?!March 14, 2014 at 6:04 am #425985
^^ Thanks for all of those shout outs alokin!
Interesting points re KKL. For years she was overshadowed by Flannery, so it would be kind of sad if that pattern re-emerged with Tom.
Rereading what I wrote on pg. 5 of the 2013 Citations thread, which was in reference to a scene originally cited by EmmyLoser, got me thinking of how much AZ’s choice of submission could influence this race. Specifically, she has good subtle/complex scenes as well as some good loud/showy scenes. I have said before that, though the trend in Lead Actress nominees is to submit more subtle and heartfelt scenes, it’s those who submit louder and more showy reels that end up winning. It’ll be interesting to see how Zucker chooses to submit, and how things play out therein.
March 14, 2014 at 9:06 am #425986
Great points by all of you! You’re right, gdfl, Zucker’s submission could have a big impact on the race. I think given her history with nominations, she’ll go showier rather than subtle. She’s been overlooked for subtle material in the past, but in years where she’s been nominated, her reels have been heavy with emotion and tears. Although I guess she could also interpret that as having gotten close but not submitted well enough to win. (Ha, I am suddenly mad at Julie Pinson all over again.)
And yes, it really would be a shame to see the same pattern emerge with KKL/Tom that went on with KKL/Flannery. I hope that now that she’s actually been nominated, voters will be more receptive to her talents, though I’d guess she would have a tough time getting nommed this year with so much heavy competition. The fact that she was prenommed is a good sign!March 14, 2014 at 3:04 pm #425987
^^^ Don’t you start picking on Julie Pinson, now… or you’ll be getting into trouble with me, haha!
It will definitely be interesting to see how the dynamics of the races will change depending on what everyone has chosen to submit and on the type performances (ie., the more showy vs. the quieter, more subtle). I agree that it will be especially interesting in Zucker’s case, and I’m curious also if Eileen and Maura West will go the very dramatic or more subtle route in their reel choices.March 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm #425988
Haha, okay, we’ll call it a ceasefire!March 14, 2014 at 8:22 pm #425989
Kelly Missal, OLTL – She was PHENOMINAL when Danni was on drugs, Plus her reaction to Victor being alive was classic. She was the best younger actress last year so she needs to be nominated and win.
Maura West – Versatile, Electric actress
Billy Miller – Tou De Force
Jane Elliot – True Scene Stealer
Bradford Anderson – he should have won last year!!!!March 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm #425990
1. Billy Miller
2. Eileen Davidson
3. Amelia Heinle
4. Jane Elliot
5. Maura WestMarch 15, 2014 at 6:19 am #425991
I changed my prediction in the Younger Actress category based on their submissions last year. Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, imo, submitted the wrong scenes, and Kristen Alderson submitted the right ones. JMW is the better actress but KA won. There were tight two-way races last year. I would say that I think Billy MIller and Eileen Davidson are clear front-runners. The Y&R actresses make me nervous in regards to my favorite in the supporting actress category, Jane Elliot. I would be really disappointed in Greg Vaughan isn’t the winner in supporting actor.March 17, 2014 at 8:54 am #425992
Yes, I kind of think JMW is the better actress between her and KA also, but I agree, KA submitted better scenes and JMW’s I found to be just kind of hokey. Bradford Anderson should have won last year, it’s true, but the problem is now that someone else deserves to win this year. AND if Billy Miller actually does deserve to win this year (based on submissions, which I haven’t seen yet), it’ll still be kind of annoying if he does because he really shouldn’t have last year. (Scott Clifton’s reels had its moments, so the co-win for him with Miller is something I can swallow, though I still think it should have been BA’s alone.)April 26, 2014 at 9:32 pm #425993
For me the 5 are:
1. Blake Berris – absolutely gut wrenching performance and such a multi-faceted actor.
2. Jane Elliot – long overdue and the minute I saw her pouring her heart out to Luke episode, I just screamed Emmy!
3. Maura West – Hurricane Ava is the best thing to happen to GH in years. Amid a cast of talent heavy Emmy winners, she really stands out.
4. Tracey Bregman – Lauren finally had a decent storyline, well it started out decent and then turned into a muddled mess of no fault of her own. It was great to finally see this Emmy winner take center stage.
5. Bryan Cash/Casey Moss – tie. Both are heavyweights who will eventually win Emmys. Wonder if it will be this year for one of them?April 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm #425994
1. Eileen Davidson
2. Jason Thompson
3. Jane Elliot
4. Greg Vaughn
5. Kelley MissalApril 28, 2014 at 4:09 pm #425995
5. Bryan Cash/Casey Moss – tie. Both are heavyweights who will eventually win Emmys. Wonder if it will be this year for one of them?
Who’s Bryan Cash???April 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm #425996
1. Eileen Davidson (Not only nominated, but win! She carried Days last year)
2. Bradford Anderson (Long overdue plus he had a great year)
3. Jane Elliot (Amazing Reel and she’s amazing)
4. Arianne Zucker (She’s in a tought category but I thought her reel is amazing and she deserves a nomination)
5. Dominic Zamprogna (He is very underrrated I feel and was really great last year)
There are many more I think that deserve a nomination but those are my dream top 5 that deserve it.