AMC and OLTL to be eligible for 2014 Emmys

Home // Forums // Daytime TV // AMC and OLTL to be eligible for 2014 Emmys

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Jessica
    Participant
    Topics:

They are meeting in May to discuss specifics like category placements.

http://abc.soapsindepth.com/2013/04/amc-oltl-will-be-eligible-for-emmys-in-2014.html

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

They can only be nominated for the internet categories. If they change the rules for them to be eligible in the Drama Series categories then every show on the internet would be eligible. It would set a bad precedent.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm. But isn’t there a difference between a web series and a series that’s only distributed via online methods?  Also, the shows are airing on actual television in Canada, so there’s that.  I would think the criteria would be based on production/output schedule.  I was under the impression that iAMC and iOLTL would be putting out new episodes year-round on a basis that is numerous times per week.  To me, that should set them apart from just any show on the web.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jessica
    Participant
    Topics:

The shows will be producing 4 episodes a week, with a run time about 28 minutes.  Those other web series produce a much shorter episode and take LONG hiatus between seasons.  Those shows shouldn’t not be eligible but it would be unfair to be AMC and OLTL in that categories considering how much more material they can produce.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

The shows will be producing 4 episodes a week, with a run time about 28 minutes.  Those other web series produce a much shorter episode and take LONG hiatus between seasons.  Those shows shouldn’t not be eligible but it would be unfair to be AMC and OLTL in that categories considering how much more material they can produce.

Right.  At 28 minutes four times a week, they’re producing more material than B&B.  The Emmys should differentiate the shows on that standard and let them compete with B&B, DAYS, GH and Y&R.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s the difference between their shows on hulu and if I filmed a show with my friends in my living room for 30 minutes a day and put it on youtube? Shouldn’t I be eligible too?

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think you could bill that as a scripted series without any WGA writers, DGA directors, PGA producers, or SAG/AFTRA actors.  Also, youtube is a site where any amateur can post whatever videos they want, and Hulu/iTunes are distribution venues for professionally produced material. 

I see what you’re getting at, but to me iOLTL and iAMC are much, much closer to being “television shows” than to being a youtube series or one of the other web soaps.  Also, they are actually airing on television in Canada, so it really can’t be argued they aren’t television shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

If they’re airing in Canada then they should be eligible for the Canadian TV Awards not American TV Awards. I know I’m being difficult, but having these shows compete with televised shows will open a pandora’s box where many online shows will come out of the woodwork to be eligible for the Drama Series Daytime Emmy categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    darioc
    Participant
    Topics:

So if they were on Netflix like House of Cards or Arrested Development, this wouldn’t be an issue? Just make them eligible!

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree, they should be eligible.  If other shows become eligible too, that’s fine, voters won’t vote for them unless they want to.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: AMC and OLTL to be eligible for 2014 Emmys

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.