Home Forums Daytime TV BEST/WORST 2012

BEST/WORST 2012

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Figured we get something like this going in these parts. Though I will have nothing really to contribute, I would like to read what this lil’ community thought what was good and bad in their soap viewing of the calendar year.

eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Really don’t have a worst b/c for me it was either mediocre (more of the same in translation) or WOW!

Acting: Finola Hughes (Anna, GH) & Jason Thompson (Patrick, GH)
    Returns: “The Holy Trinity” at GH (Lynn Herring, Finola Hughes, & Robin Mattson)
    Show: B&B 

ReplyCopy URL
    Matt McClamrock
    Participant
    Topics:

Worst Show:  The Young and the Restless
    Best Show:  General Hospital
    Worst Storyline:  Sharon Takes Over Newman, The Young and the Restless
    Best Storyline:  Todd Switches The Babies, General Hospital
    Worst Love Triangle:  Steffi/Liam/Hope, The Bold and the Beautiful
    Best Love Triangle:  Tracy/Luke/Anna, General Hospital
    Best Actor:  James Scott, Days of Our Lives
    Best Actress:  Finola Hughes and Kelly Sullivan, General Hospital
    Best Supporting Actor:  Jason Thompson and Brandon Barash, General Hospital
    Best Supporting Actress:  Ariane Zucker, Days of Our Lives, and Jane Elliott, General Hospital
    Worst Death:  Stephanie Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful
    Best Death:  Edward Quartermaine, General Hospital
    Most Disappointing Storyline:  Alice’s Secrets, Days of Our Lives, and Ricky’s Death, The Young and the Restless
    Worst Couple:  Nick and Avery, The Young and the Restless; and Brooke and Bill, The Bold and the Beautiful
    Best Couple:  Dante and Lulu, General Hospital
    Silliest Storyline Twist:  Nikki searches for Victor on her wedding night to Jack, The Young and the Restless
    Most Shocking Storyline Twist:  Trey is Connie’s son, General Hospital; or Brady beds Kristen, Days of Our Lives 
    Most Improved Character:  Carly, General Hospital
    Best Return:  Robin Mattson, General Hospital
    Worst Return:  Lisa Rinna, Days of Our Lives
    Biggest Waste of Talent:  Marcy Rylan, The Young and the Restless
    Best Recast:  Summer, The Young and the Restless, and Eric, Days of Our Lives
    Worst Recast:  Kristina, General Hospital

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

This year was a blessing and curse. The blessing is that, for better and worse, soaps were back in the pop culture vernacular. The curse is that all of the soaps were mediocre at best w/moments of brilliance. I am done hoping for change, b/c they are going to do what they are going to to, but I am hoping that in the year of no cancellations, these people are really thinking long and hard about things.

As for my picks, even though the story that brought out their increible work is tired and trite as hell, Finola and Jason did do fine work this year.

The GH returns w/the women of a certain age has been amazing to see. I really watch that show now to see what they are doing b/c the rest I just cannot w/anymore.

B&B was one of the soaps that got me hooked on daytime TV and it was really that tribute to Susan that made it my best of the year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Lead Actor- Roger Howarth (GH)
    Lead Actress- Finola Hughes (GH)
    Supporting Actor- Jason Thompson (GH)
    Supporting Actress- Jane Elliot (GH)
    Younger Actor- Chandler Massey (DOOL)
    Younger Actress- Haley Pullos (GH) 

ReplyCopy URL
    The BC 2.0
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Soap: GH
    Best Actor: Roger Howarth (GH)
    Best Actress: Susan Flannery (B&B)
    Best Supporting Actor: Doug Davidson (Y&R)
    Best Supporting Actress: Kelly Sullivan (GH)
    Best Younger Actor: Chad Duell (GH)
    Best Younger Actress: Kim Matula (B&B)

I wish there were still more soaps on the air, I miss the days of more diverse choices, when my best-of lists were dominated by ATWT & GL.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

As a person who only watched one soap with any consistency during 2012, I can’t fairly do a best and worst.  But I will list a few things that were my bests and worsts from DAYS:

Best Actors: James Scott and Chandler Massey
    I love both these guys all the time, and they clearly outpaced the competition. 

Best Actresses: Renee Jones and Christie Clark
    Choosing among the ladies is always much more difficult, but these two delivered the most with their strongly emotional stories.  Jones was always great and was heartbreaking with Lexie’s death.  Clark breathed so much life into Carrie’s romantic confusion and I am still begging DAYS to bring her back six months after she was fired.

Best Couple: Carrie and Rafe
    These two had great chemistry and fit together so well.  I can never get behind Rafe/Sami again.  (Will and Sonny would be runner up, but it’s hard not to compare them to the off-the-charts sparks Will and EJ had.)

Worst Couple: Jennifer and Daniel
    Less for them actually being together and more for the painful process of watching the get together.

Best New Character/Return: Kristen DiMera
    Eileen Davidson is lighting up the screen and easily wins against some otherwise good competitors.

Worst New Character/Return: Ian McCallister
    While Billie’s return was mostly pointless, I was pretty moved by some of her initial scenes with Bo when he was in the coma.  Ian’s arrival not only ruined Madison but also stunk up the screen any time he had a big emotional scene to play.

Best Character Rejuvination: Jennifer Horton
    Pitting Jennifer against Nicole and EJ as Abe’s campaign manager was a brilliant idea that showed a side of her that rarely surfaces and was really fun to watch.  It was also great seeing her take on Nicole during the pregnancy storyline.  Too bad she’s now stuck in this middle school courtship with Daniel.

Worst Use of an Off-Screen Character: Patch and Kayla’s divorce
    I just hated the way this was done and how poorly it meshes with the last time Patch was in Salem.  Stephanie’s got a head start on 2013 for her apparent involvement in this paternity drama with Parker.

Best Storyline: Carrie and Rafe falling in love
    Kristen’s ongoing revenge almost won, and both the election storyline and Lexie’s death came on strong, but so many electric episodes and scenes came out of the Carrie/Rafe story and the others that tied into it, especially from the reignition of the fiery rivalry between Carrie and Sami, which I could watch all day.  Even with the way things ended, it was my favorite part of the year.

Worst Storyline: Alice’s secret
    Even though there were worse things on screen last year, this story plodded along accomplishing basically nothing and then end without any resolution at all.  Yes, we had the note that got John out of jail (which could have easily been accomplished otherwise), John and Hope being married (a WTF plot twist that has now been undone and went nowhere), and of course EJ not being Stefano’s son (which turned out not to be true), but none of those stories mattered.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.