( +170 hidden )
October 12, 2011 at 7:00 am #417079
The only meh is John and Marlena. Their storyline is at least interesting and timely, but I have never been a fan of this pairing.
No, actually, I do feel like John and Marlena together are less exciting than some other couples, and I always like Marlena even more when she has to be apart from John, but I think I’ve been watching the show too long to not feel like them being together is just right. The Victor/Maggie/Melanie scenes were really cute, and I loved Jack/Abby/Chad. Looks like today we’ll get some Kate/Sami action, which will be awesome, and some EJ/Nicole scenes, which are always great.October 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm #417080
Missy Reeves don’t crack! I don’t want to jinx a good thing, but this is my story right now. I don’t feel stupid when watching it, like OLTL, and it’s a solid escape from college life. Keep it up.October 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm #417081
I hope the show keeps rolling along like it is, because I’m loving it. The only slight quibble I have is in the Madison vs. Kate story. We just met Madison, so it’s a little annoying to see her getting the upper hand on Kate more than once already. But then, I guess better than Madison be putting Kate in her place than Sami.
I spent the second half of Friday’s episode getting excited that Marlena was clearly going to leave that apartment and go looking for Stefano. Can’t wait to see that confrontation.October 18, 2011 at 7:27 am #417082
Yesterday’s episode was great! Marlena and Stefano arguing in the DiMera mansion is always a winner, and the scenes where Maggie read Alice’s letter were very nice.October 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm #417083
I liked the Marlena and Stefano scene. The story with John is fine but a I don’t buy that all these conflicts of interests would be tolerated. There is always bad conflicts of interests but here I think about them all the time.October 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm #417085
Welp, that didn’t take long did it? Ken’s bad habits could be rearing its ugly head again, but (and possibly foolishly) will give him the benifit of doubt. deCozotte is reuniting w/the Passions writers and say what you want about the show story wise, but it was a pretty looking show. Hopefully the firing doesn’t mean Noel is completely gone from the show, b/c he’s an amazing director.October 24, 2011 at 7:27 am #417086
I’m going to choose to be optimistic about this, even though I always loved Noel Maxam’s directing and I get the definite impression that he really brought something wonderful with him to the show. He was the last remnant of the Ed Scott era of a few years ago. I hope he lands on his feet.
Lisa de Cazotte is being mentioned as the Passions EP, but I’m actually a little more impressed that she was a producer on Santa Barbara, and was EP of the second season of GH’s Night Shift, which was really well received. She’s worked with Marlene and Darrell, and I’m thoroughly enjoying what they’re writing, so hopefully it’ll be a great partnership.
In other news, I am loving how quickly the Carrie/Austin/Sami/Rafe situation got messy. It kind of hurt watching Sami being unsupportive to Rafe because, even if Rafe is wrong about Austin, Rafe’s been as supportive as anyone could be through all of her crazy and shenanigans and being as wrong as two left shoes. And poor Rafe! Roman’s been such a hardass since he became commissioner. The John/Marlena lovemaking scenes were hilarious. I’m thrilled for them, but once Marlena started gasping and sighing I could not stop laughing. This really is like 90s DAYS. I love it.October 26, 2011 at 7:14 am #417088
Yesterday’s episode was good. I’m loving what’s going on with Carrie/Rafe/Sami/Austin so much. The writers so far are doing a great job with it, and I hope that continues. As many times as Carrie and Sami have been at odds over their men, this story feels pretty new because in the past, there’s very rarely been any complexity or layered emotions to it. The way both Sami and Carrie have automatically jumped on getting in digs at the other and blaming the other for the complications they are having. In particular, Rafe and Carrie’s phone conversation was great. I’m not sure if it’s Christie Clark or the material or what, but I haven’t enjoyed Galen Gering’s work this well since Grace’s death. (I liked Gering during the Rafe/Frafe story, too, but there it was mostly him doing a great job of characterizing the two distinctly but otherwise not having much of interest to play.) Rafe and Carrie have a nice chemistry that doesn’t feel at all sexual to me but really works so far in this context.October 26, 2011 at 9:35 am #417089
The show is doing great IMO…the dialogue is fresh, the characters are acting like themselves, the emotional factor on this show is improved ten fold. Some of the stories are great (Melanie/Chad/Abby, Jack/Jennifer, Marlena/John), some need some major work (Alice’s Secret/Maggie’s Missing Child, Chad/Will/Sonny/Website, Mayor Story, Carrie/Austin/Sami/Rafe) and some need to just get moving already (Will is Gay) but for the most part DAYS is much improved over Dena Higley’s DAYS and the production values on this show have improved ten fold. The show just needs a little more action/excitement/drama to up the stakes and everything will be great.October 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm #417090
Yes, the one thing I will complain about is the whole business of Will being gay. It’s been public knowledge that this was going to happen for months now, so I’m not sure what the holdup is. I could see if Marlene and Darrell or Ken Corday or Greg Meng or whoever wanted to be careful with the pace, and not have Will suddenly start making out with Sonny out of the blue. But Will is never even on screen. We see him maybe once a week, get a glimpse that something is off with his relationship with Gabby, and that’s about it. We need some indication that this is going somewhere. I really like all the younger characters, and it’s a shame that we hardly ever see most of them.October 27, 2011 at 7:03 am #417092
Hello everyone. I just wanted to chime in to say I am cautiously optimistic about the Days reset.
I mentioned in another post that I had not watched DAYS consistently for several years, but I started watching again I think in July of this year once I learned about Ken Corday’s plan to reset the show on 9/26. When watching a soap opera for the first time (or getting reacquainted with a soap opera), I always tell people that you need to watch for at least 30 days before you start to make any judgements about the show–that usually gives them enough time to get a sense of who’s who, the arcs of stories, etc. I have found that it is hard for people to either get used to the way the acting/storytelling/production values are presented on the screen–they usually watch for a day or two and complain that the shows either look cheap or they don’t know who any of the characters are, what they are doing, or what they really want.
After about 30 days, I found myself fast forwarding through a lot (i.e., Carly’s drug addiction spiraling out of control, Chloe’s prostitution, Vivian and that man-servant who was not IVAN, Tamara Braun–UGH). Some of those story threads wrapped up a bit quickly, too neatly, and/or a bit awkwardly, but I was okay with that because they had to clear out some of the dead weight. I would not normally consider Vivian and Carly dead weight, but I didn’t like how they were being used before their exits, so I would rather see them go (perhaps to return at some point in the future?).
- I was alright with Chloe and her teenage friend leaving.
- I was okay with Quinn leaving, as well–although, I think he has potential. In a way, I am glad he is returning, I just hope the use him better. Quinn/Bren Foster (I think that’s his name) could turn out the way Annie/Melissa Claire Egan turned out on AMC…ho hum in the beginning, but like woah! as time went on. Besides, the chest on that little man. I digress.
- Tamara Braun–oh my, I am so glad she is gone. I have NEVER been a fan of her doe-like, gamine awkwardness—and all that stuttering. I could never understand the kudos and huzzahs, but, hey, to each his own.
- Dario – OK with his departure. Seemed like a nice guy, but Zzzzz
- Nicholas Alamain – Who was that youngin’ on the screen for a few days and why did the replace the big, strapping muscular man who used to be Carly’s son. I hadn’t watched DAYS in a long time, but I remember him. 🙂
HORTON SQUARE DEDICATION
You know what I’ve always thought was unfortunate about soap execs touting changes to their shows and hyping specific days for viewers to return to watching? The execs usually tout the wrong day(s) for people to start watching again. As a soap opera viewer from a couple of decades ago, I thoroughly enjoyed many of the smaller moments during the dedication and I appreciated the resetting of the storylines (wll discuss in a moment), BUT EVERYTHING WAS JUST BEGINNING. For most of those moments, if you blinked you missed them, and, quite honestly, I’m not sure that a new viewer watching DAYS for the very first time on 9/26 would have appreciated anything that was happening. As a matter of fact, for the new viewer, I’m not sure that they had much to hold on to during the first week of the reset, although, as a viewer with some of the backstory (long-term and more recent), there was a lot I melted over:
- Marlena and John Return – Yay! I. Am. Over. The. Moon. About. Deidre. Hall. Returning. THAT WOMAN is magical. I have always been a fan of Drake Hogestyn’s chest, more than his acting. But I have to admit, the first time I saw him arch his eyebrow, I got a warm feeling inside. As the weeks have progressed, I even realized that I missed his acting-style. There is something so retro about it that takes me back to “the hero” of the late 80s/early 90s, that I almost welcome it. I agree that John and Marlena are a bit “meh” for me, too, but they are an end game couple for me, so I’m happy they are together. I also don’t mind them having sex, but that moaning and sighing has to go. I am also VERY thankful, that Marlena is branching out to meet with and see other people (i.e., Stefano, Will, Austin).
- Carrie and Austin 1.0 Return – Yay! They have new jobs that fit the current embezzlement storyline with John. Okay, I’ll give a pass. Yes, it is convenient, but, hey, the conflict is working for me.
- Jack Returns – Um, yay! Again, I will give a pass for why he stayed away from his family. I’ll go along with Jennifer forgiving him because I like the idea of a Jack/Jennifer/Daniel triangle where both men are essentially good guys and they could both be good for Jennifer. I also like the fact that Jennifer loves both of them and she has the opportunity to date both. Seemed odd at first, but how many times has some heroine’s husband returned from the dead, and the new beau stands aside for the heroine to return to the once-thought-dead-husband, just for the heroine to have sex on the side with the beau-who-stood-aside. Secrets and lies! Secrets and lies! This way, everything is above board and when the shoe finally drops, the end result may be more poignant. I am excited about where this may go (that is my generally feeling about everything on DAYS right now, I’m willing to give everything a chance to see where it goes). Also, I am loving ethnicAbby. (Can I just tell you how much I LOVE that—ethnicAbby) She is not having Jack–who knew the actress was such a star. 🙂
- EJ running for mayor – Given the big returns of John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin, and Jack and all the recent Dimera mustache twirling, I’m okay with EJ running for mayor. It is a nice change of pace from the standard Days/Dimera fare. I have never really watched Days since EJ’s arrival. I loved James Scott on AMC and thought he left too early. I like his stiff, clenched teeth, stooped over in other people’s faces style of acting more often than not, and I like him with Nicole. I am glad they are working together. I like them dancing around one another. I get that they were previously married and have a lot of history between them, but I am loving EJ’s feeling that Nicole knows exactly who he is. I didn’t watch what brough Kate and Stefano together, but when I started watching again this summer, Kate/Stefano mad sense to me. The same way Kate/Stefano make sense to me is the same way I feel about EJ/Nicole. If the four of them can become aligned, that could be a super match made in Salem Hell.
- Madison James – Sami’s best friend from elementary school. OK, I’ll give another pass. Any show that uses Sarah Joy Brown’s strength and beauty gets a 10 in my book. She owns her own company. Check. She sparkles with who I am assuming is going to be her leading man (Brady). Check. She is in a position where she is Sami’s friend, not foe–cause Sami needs a girlfriend. Check. I’m in. I love that she is so snarky with Kate. I love her with Brady (good Lord, that Eric Martsolf (sp?)
- Marlena’s passion for Will – I hope we see a lot of them together. Will has been around for a long time. He has been through a LOT. The kid is related to everybody and town and they have all been possessed, killed/returned, body doubled, had kids out of wedlock, married and divorced more than 10 times, etc. That kid has seen a lot. Characters are now talking about all that John has been through–forget about John, I’m surprised Will is as grounded as he is these days. I don’t know whether it has always been apparent on screen, but I fully accept that Marlena has a very special bond with Will. I loved her recent conversation with Will during the Halloween decorating when she went all “shrink” on him and he got a bit nervous.
- The Teens’ Website – I’ll give a pass here, too. During the summer, I felt like someone threw a bucket of cold water on me everytime the teens came on the screen. As I reflect, I think the show had a dead weight issue. Now that Dario and the singing, one-time-prostituing teen have flown the coop and the homophobe is nowhere to be around, the teens don’t feel like they suck as much air out of the room. I’m glad Sonny doesn’t sound like a PSA very much anymore. The only person who really feels like dead weight to me is Gaby. I’m probably holding on to my bias against the actress from her OLTL days. I’m also probably holding the fact that she is standing in the way of Will’s gaydom against her, too. If Will’s story is handled correctly, I might actually care for her more once Will’s sexual orientation comes to light. Now that the teen tribe has been trimmed, I get that the show wants to rally them around a unifying story. I’m not the biggest fan of the website, but maybe they’re going somewhere with it. I can even live with the website stuff if they at least use it to continue fleshing out moments between the characters. For example, what I love most about the “website” story is the way it gives the show room to develop the bromance between Sonny and Chad. Wouldn’t it be great if they pulled a bait and switch and made Chad the guy who eventually falls for Sonny, and vice versa? OK, maybe not – I like Chad as the hunk standing tall between Melanie and Abby.
- The Return of Countess WIlhelmina – I’m glad Kate has something of her own to do that is not so meddlesome and mustache-twirling. I love her pitted against Madison and…
- Sami as working mom – I like Alison Sweeney. I don’t love her, but I like her. I have never really understand what all the fuss is about, but I will accept the fact that Sami has been central to story for DAYS since she caught John and Marlena in the tryst that resulted in Belle. I like Sami and Rafe. I actually like Sami and all her kids. More than anything, I think where Sami is today feels right. I still feel like she has the potential to be a schemer. She still feel fierce to me. She also still seems insecure and needy. I like where she fits on the canvas with John and Marlena returning. Same with Carrie and Austin returning. I like what the family’s history is doing to them today (one of the things I love about soap operas—-HISTORY!!!). I like that she worried about getting a job because she didn’t go to school. (How many times have people complained over the years about everybody in soap towns being rich or getting jobs out of high school because daddy is the CEO?). OK, so she is a junior executive–I’ll give a pass on that, because I like that she is juggling work and being a mom—when was the last time you really saw that on a soap from a major character. I like that it pits her against Kate.
- Overall Mayor Story – Hmm. I’m okay right now. I do hope that Abe and Lexie will transition into a better story. It feels like EJ will become the new mayor of Salem, so I hope there is a “next thing” for Abe and Lexie to do. I love Lexie Dimera Carver. Abe – eh, he’s a vet so I think he is grandfathered in for me.
- I love the characters on the canvas right now. I like the age ranges, as well. The charatcters break down into certain tiers for me: TIER 1 (ELDERS) – Stefano/Kate/John/Marlena/Roman/Maggie/Victor. Then you have TIER 2 (VETERANS) – Bo/Hope/Jennifer/Daniel/Jack/Justin/Adrienne. (I’m not sure where to put Abe and Lexie. My impulse is to put Abe in Tier 1 and Lexie in Tier 2.) TIER 3 (MONEYMAKERS) EJ/Nicole/Brady/Madison/Sami/Rafe. TIER 4 (YOUTH) – Will/Gaby/Melanie/ethnicAbby/Chad/Sonny. TIER 5 (THE BABIES) – Johnny/Sydney/Theo/and the others I can’t think of right now.
- Play the generations – DAYS is positioned to really play the natural beats that exist on mutiple levels for all of their stories. You can play the story itself, but then you can also play the fallout across generations. Take Will is gay. That boy is a Brady, a Horton, a Roberts, and sort of a Dimera. Sure, Will’s story will affect the teens. But, there’s still Sami. What will Rafe’s response be since the fallout affects his little sister? Will machismo rear its ugly head? How will this affect his relationship with Sami? Marlena, of course. What will Kate’s response be to her grandson? What about Stefano? How about Aunt Carrie? Uncle Austin? The returning Aunt Billie? I don’ t know if they plan to make the story that big, but it could turn out to be a wonderful umbrella story. John’s embezzlement seems to be the current umbrella story. If Will’s story is the next unbrella story in the queue, I’m okay with that. Speaking of…
- The pace of the “Will is gay” story – I am torn here. While I want DAYS to start dealing with this NOW, I think I can appreciate that making a legacy character gay is probably a very tricky thing to do. (Is Sonny considered a legacy character, too, since he is tied to the Justin/Adrienne supercouple?) I think I would feel better if I saw him onscreen more. Although, I can also appreciate that the reset and reintroduction of so many people may have pushed his story back a bit. I am okay with that, just as long as the delay is allowing for the show to incorporate more people into his story. The more I think about what they may be doing with Will’s story, I think we may be witnessing a first. I don’t remember Bianca (AMC) or Luke (ATWT) being confused about their feelings. If I remember correctly, they knew they were gay but didn’t know how to tell their family. Perhaps Will is just coming to the realization that his sexual feelings may not be what he thought they were or they have evolved somehow, but he doesn’t really know what it means? I don’t know, but I am ready to see more of his struggle, and not just two short scenes once a week.
- Melanie/Chad/Abby – Yes. I love Melanie’s developing relationship with Chad and how it is played purely plutonic, but Abby is getting jealous. I do hope they don’t jump right into a love triangle, though. I would much rather see Abby’s discomfort around Chad and Melanie’s friendship play out.
- Daniel is Maggie’s son – Yes!
- Melanie is Maggie’s granddaughter – Oh yea!
- Has Suzanne Rogers always been such pure genius!?! I don’t remember her being so luminous. My gosh. It’s funny, during the summer, I thought that if she ever had to leave DAYS, she might make a good Bobbie recast on GH.
- I love Maggie and Victor together. I love Victor being so suave in his golden years. Although his involvement with Maggie’s stolen eggs may cause some trouble…dum dum dum.
- Chad’s ongoing resistance to the Dimera family. In the queue…good.
- Brady’s simmering feelings about his father. In the queue…good.
- What will Rafe do now that he lost his job. In the queue…good.
- Developing Carrie/Austin/Sami/Rafe strife? In the queue…good.
- Did Stefano frame John? This might be okay…..I just don’t want to see any stories for awhile where the supervillain made magiv happen across oceans to implant a chip in someone’s brain, etc., etc., etc.
- I like the Dimera struggle to clean up the family name. We’ll see whether this is geniune.
This is probably enough for now. I’ve been sitting on this for awhile. 🙂 I’m looking forward to being a part of the activity in this forum. 🙂October 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm #417093
Welcome, SudsLover (awesome name)!
This is a great post, and I’m glad to have another voice here to talk about these great and occasionally frustrating shows. I agree with almost everything you were saying in there. So many good points about where characters are and how they’ll hopefully be dealing with the things around them as this reboot progresses.
I agree with you that it’s great to see Will being confused and questioning things over time rather than just harboring the secret that he’s gay from his family and friends. It’s a more interesting route for sure. I loved the scenes of him with Marlena (aside: it’s great to see Marlena getting around and interacting with the rest of the town) talking and their joking around. I asked for a little movement in the Will story yesterday and I guess I got it.
To me, Will and Chad always had the best chemistry of any of the kids in that group, but Chad actually has great chemistry with all of them. A bait and switch move that pairs Chad with Sonny would be interesting and a surprise, but I’d be shocked if Will and Chad both turn out to be gay and/or bisexual. (Why is no one ever bisexual? Not enough drama to it?)
And I also really hope there’s more in store for Lexie (and by extension Abe, though I care about him getting story as much as I do Roman, which is to say I’m fine with both of them being mostly in the background) once this election is over, which has to be pretty soon, right?
And SudsLover, if you’ve got any questions about how things got to where they are, I’m always happy to give a quick rundown! I can tell you that Kate and Stefano got married because Stefano blackmailed her into it. She had tried to poison Chloe and frame Daniel for it — both out of jealousy that Daniel wanted Chloe and not her and anger that Chloe left Lucas for Daniel — and Stefano was the only person who could get rid of all the evidence so she could avoid prison. The marriage was particularly rough for Kate in the beginning because Stefano had only a few months earlier had Phillip shot and almost killed.
Also, I think Nicole and EJ are still married. I really enjoy the two of them together, though I still think EJ belongs with Sami.October 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm #417094
I for one am absolutely not happy with this daniel being maggie’s son storyline, i love maggie, and hate the character of daniel, and by this happening, likely means that he will be staying in the show for a while….ugh. they should have just sent him packing with chloe.October 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm #417095
Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Chandler Massey’s Will is indeed gay. I may have to tune in for this one. And I expect this will give him more than enough material for him to win a Daytime Emmy.November 1, 2011 at 6:53 am #417096
Originally, I didn’t really love the character of Daniel, but they really reconceived him during the time he got together with Chloe, and I really like him now. (It’s funny, because that story was like the nail in Chloe’s coffin as far as ruining her character, but it really endeared Daniel to me.) Melanie was a character I couldn’t stand at first, and now I love her. I like Daniel being Maggie’s son, but I’m really thrilled for Maggie and Melanie that they’re now grandmother and granddaughter.
Also, they did a good job with Daniel’s reaction to the news.
I’m looking forward to Will’s storyline if it ever gets moving!
youngsoapfan, how are you feeling about Madison James/Sarah Brown? Just wondering if she’s grown on you at all.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.