March 31, 2015 at 1:20 pm #428440
This isn’t a predictions thread; it’s an order of preference, in this case, of the five nominees for Best Actress in 2014:
1. ALISON SWEENEY as Sami Brady, Days Of Our Lives. She did phenomenal work, perhaps the best of her career, and had so many great scenes and she made her final year truly memorable. She did great work with James Scott, Lauren Koslow, Kate Mansi, Guy Wilson, Deidre Hall, Arianne Zucker, Peggy McCay and everyone else! She made me cry, broke my heart, had me cheering, laughing, and smiling! This is her first nomination in 22 years! She absolutely deserves to WIN! (My guess for her submission: the morgue scene with E.J.’s body, but she had plenty of others to choose from)
2. MAURA WEST as Ava Jerome, General Hospital. 7-time nominee (with two wins) for her work as Carly on ATWT, she is nominated for her manipulative tough mob lady – I hope she submitted the induced labor scenes with Michelle Stafford’s looney tunes Nina, but I also loved her manipulation of A.J., making him believe he killed Connie, among so many other scenes!
3. GINA TOGNONI as Phyllis Sommers, The Young and the Restless. She had ONE truly remarkable episode, and if she submitted, she could do well: the scenes where she confronts Jack about Kelly in December. BUT, while she’s a good actress (two emmys for Guiding Light) she’s not playing Phyllis IMO. She’s still Dinah Marler, and lacks what Michelle Stafford brought to the role. I think she’s been miscast and I wouldn’t be happy if they rewarded it with an Emmy win.
4. LAURA WRIGHT as Carly Jacks, General Hospital. She also had ONE remarkable episode (the Hallowedding) – when Michael learned the truth about Sonny killing A.J. But mostly Carly was very annoying throughout 2014 – in scenes with Franco, defending Sonny, blah blah blah.
5. PEGGY McCAY as Caroline Brady, Days Of Our Lives. Look, I love Peggy McCay and Caroline Brady, BUT – she was on for maybe 12 episodes all year long! She was more of a guest than even a supporting actress. My heart sank when I heard her name today – I suppose she will either have submitted the Will/Sonny wedding epi or the talk with Sami epi. That’s all she has, that’s for sure! This is her fourth nomination for Days. (She was the original Vanessa on Love of Life in 1951! She also was on General Hospital in the late 1960’s).March 31, 2015 at 1:36 pm #428442
1. Alison Sweeney
2. Gina Tognoni
3. Maura West
4. Laura Wright
5. Peggy McCay
1. Alison Sweeney
2. Maura West
3. Gina Tognoni
4. Laura Wright
5. Peggy McCayMarch 31, 2015 at 4:56 pm #428443
My Order of Preference:
1. Alison Sweeney
2. Maura West
3. Laura Wright
4. Gina Tognoni
5. Peggy McKay
Sweeney was absolutely captivating during the events leading up to her wedding, not to mention the aftermath. She was definitely my favorite to watch. West brought humanity to a very unlikable character and delivered transcendent performances. Wright always delivers the goods and plays casual scenes with as much conviction as dramatic ones.
I see this primarily as a race between Sweeney and West. I think Sweeney will prevail, but she has some serious competition in West. Wright is a possibility, but I do not see Tognoni or McKay taking the prize.March 31, 2015 at 5:34 pm #428444
This is the most disappointing category for me with the presence of Tognoni and McKay. I’m going to be fearless with my preferences even though I assume they’ll be… unique… compared to everyone else’s:
1. Laura Wright: The writing for Carly was awful last year, and that’s not the first time that has happened, but I feel like Wright always tries to make it work for what it’s worth and I love that about her. She won in 2011 for a subtle performance, and then her second nomination was for a loud confrontation scene though she eventually lost after changing to a more teary reel. So I think a lot rides on submissions, but maybe that goes without saying.
2. Maura West: Obviously one of Daytime’s best of the best. I wouldn’t be sad if she lost this year because she’s already my frontrunner for next year with the cancer story line.
3. Alison Sweeney: Congrats on a well deserved nomination, finally! I know a lot of people, perhaps everyone other than me, wants her to win, and I would be happy if that happened though she’s not my personal favourite this year.
4. Peggy McKay: I don’t know if it was more shocking when we found out that she is in this category or when she was nominated, but for the ‘bottom two’ of my preferences list, her submission had a quality that I liked so she comes out ahead.
5. Gina Tognoni: I think I’ve said enough in other threads about how disappointing this recast has been IMO.
March 31, 2015 at 6:03 pm #428445
Fantastic lineup here this year.
1) Alison Sweeney, Days of our Lives – The confrontation scene (which totals up to a 25 minute reel in the end!!!) was a mind-blowingly, unbelievable performance by her. I do not see how she could lose this (to anyone but below).
2) Maura West, General Hospital – Maura is simply sublime in all she does, whether it’s a subtle, manipulative conversation or a loud, drag-out argument. I really hope she submitted Nina-induced-labor scenes. But she could submit anything and be a true threat, honestly.
3) Peggy McCay, Days of our Lives – Only because I love her alot, and she’s so strong at the minimal she is given. Supposedly she had a big monologue at some point last year? It would be nice to see her finally win one for Daytime someday.
4) Laura Wright, General Hospital – Wright, no matter the quality of material, had a knockout year last year, performance-wise. I assume she submitted “Hallowedding” Confrontation, which was great for her. Very much so the leading actress.
5) Gina Tognoni, Young and the Restless – I have yet to see her performances of late. I’ll wait for the releasing of reels.March 31, 2015 at 6:54 pm #428447
^Exactly what I hoped she would submit! (: It was either this or the morgue scenes. I am convinced she is going to WIN! (:
EmmyLoser: thanks so much for sharing Ali’s thoughts on her nomination! (: I am happy for her!March 31, 2015 at 7:02 pm #428448
Matt Armando-Peggy had a great speech at Will and Sonny’s wedding. I know I teared up watching it so I’m not surprised that she was nominated for it even if she’s in the wrong category.March 31, 2015 at 8:40 pm #428449
Maura submitted the PRE-crypt sex scenes where Ava & Sonny realize their startling similarities.
5. Peggy.March 31, 2015 at 9:36 pm #428452
Wow, I love and adore Maura West but imo that is a really poor submission ): I can think of a dozen better episodes and several (esp. the induced labor epi) that would have been competitive with Ali – I suppose I should be relieved, but since she is the only acceptable (to me) alternative winner, I’m kinda bummed out by it. (The two episodes where she manipulated A.J. into believing he had killed Connie and also the one where she confessed to the murder were really memorable. Also: the one where Sonny killed A.J. after Ava’s manipulation of the situation was really strong. i can think of several others as well).
Did Laura Wright submit the Hallowedding episode? We now have four of the five submissions in this category!March 31, 2015 at 10:58 pm #428453
I saw Alison reel I thought it was really good but not as good as Gina Tognoni. I don’t think Gina was miscast at all she’s a colder meaner Phyllis but she’s done excellent work. Her acting in this reel to be honest blows Alison out of the water. I also think people shouldn’t count out Laura Wright she was great in those wedding episodes.
Here is Gina Tognonis fabulous reel:
Young and the Restless – Turning Up The Thermostat: https://youtu.be/VBfvwitS_HM.April 1, 2015 at 7:54 am #428454
I’m eager to see West’s and Tognoni’s reels for the first time and rewatch the others. I remember Wright being good in the Hallowedding episodes but also remember thinking that she wasn’t a real threat for an Emmy win with those. The performance by her was great, but she seemed overshadowed by Michael and Franco and the need to make the whole thing soapy with the various pauses and reactions. But I don’t know if that’s what she submitting I guess. I had kind of forgotten who moving Caroline’s speech at Will and Sonny’s wedding was, but now that I’m remembering the specifics, I guess it’s not that surprising that she made the final five. I’m sure West is great in that episode, even if it’s not her best. I’m sure Tognoni’s Acting is good in her reel, too. If I watch that reel and she does one thing that surprises me, I’ll consider her a threat for a win. Sweeney submitted what I thought was her strongest reel. She gets to show a lot of Sami, and different sides of Sami. I remember my favorite moments of that episode being the vulnerability of when she’s asking EJ what is it about Abigail that caused him to stray. She then gets to be fantastically aggressive.