March 31, 2015 at 2:21 pm #428672
Disappointed that Casey Moss wasn’t nominated ): But, ECSTATIC about Freddie Smith’s nomination! (:
This is the only category (besides Guest Performer) in which there is a guarantee of a first-time winner…
1. FREDDIE SMITH as Sonny Kiriakis, Days Of Our Lives. He turned 26 in 2014 – not sure what is submission is, but I love his work so much on Days! He’s done the best work ever the past two months, so I totally expect him to compete for next year’s Emmy (either Lead or Support). I’m hoping the wedding episode was eligible; confused about the cutoff – is it work they did before their 26th birthday, or work that AIRED before their 26th birthday? Seems like it should be the former). He’s my frontrunner for Best Actor of 2015 by a wide wide margin! (Second nomination)
2. TEQUAN RICHMOND as T.J. Ashford, General Hospital. I love his scenes with mom Jordan, and girlfriend Molly. (Not crazy about Shawn though). Glad he’s nominated. I guess he will have submitted the scenes where he learns about his father’s death? (first nomination)
3. BRYAN CRAIG as Morgan Corinthos. I’m not as crazy about him as others; I suppose learning about the crypt sex between Sonny and girlfriend Ava was his submission? I sometimes feel irritated with Morgan and his portrayer…. (second nomination)
4. MAX EHRICH as Fenmore Baldwin, The Young and the Restless. The prison scenes at the beginning of the year would be my best guess for his submission; I don’t really care for Fenmore. It’s his third nomination.March 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm #428674
^^ I’m going ‘as above’ here again. Basically Freeman said it well and I agree on all counts.
March 31, 2015 at 5:42 pm #428675
My Order of Preference
1. Freddie Smith
2. Bryan Craig
3. Tequan Richmond
4. Max Ehrich
Overall, I do not think Richmond and Ehrich made much of an impact last year. For me, it comes down to Smith and Craig. Smith just gets better all the time and really deserves the win. However, Craig is also very talented and had some great material last year (and since the show is basically ruining his character, this might be his last chance).March 31, 2015 at 5:50 pm #428676
Bryan Craig has a fantastic reel with the Crypt Sex scenes, as he’s the true lead in it. Thank Jesus that Chandler Massey is now out of the race; his victories seemed automatic. (Craig definitely had the stronger submission last year)
1) Bryan Craig, General Hospital – Had phenomenal material last year alongside veterans Maura West & Maurice Benard. Such compatibility could help him.
2) Freddie Smith, Days of our Lives – He’s no longer living in his screen partner (Chandler Massey) ‘s shadow, so this could give him a chance to break through. Don’t remember hearing much about his work last year though?
3) Tequan Richmond, General Hospital – TR is very solid at what he does on GH, sometime better than others. I’m interested to find out what he submitted.
4) Max Ehrich, Young and the Restless – He had a great tape last year. Not sure about this year.April 1, 2015 at 8:12 am #428677
I’m basically agreeing with Freeman and gdfl. Bryan Craig seems to be the point of disagreement in the group mostly. I think he’s good but not as good as he’s been made out to be. I remembering hearing how amazing his reel was last year, and maybe expectation was part of the problem, because when I watched it, I was underwhelmed. He brought a lot of energy to it, for sure, and he was plenty believable, but I just get more from other actors. I got a lot more from both Massey and Duell last year. I’ll have to watch the reels to make a fair assessment this year, but none of what I saw Craig do last year changed my mind about him. I don’t know what Smith would have submitted, because I don’t remember what aired before his birthday (the birthday cutoff is for airdate, not tape date), but I more expected to see Casey Moss here instead of him. I like Max Ehrich even though between his reels and seeing him on the show, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that made me think he should win an Emmy. I don’t know what Richmond submitted, but I thought he was very good when he found out the truth about Jordan’s past with Shawn. It wasn’t all that showy, but it was heartfelt.April 2, 2015 at 12:06 pm #428678
I don’t think Smith deserves to be ranked #1….I am strugging to think of an episode before he turned 26 where he wowed me to the point that he deserves to WIN this thing.
While he is consistently good, his nomination mainly feels more like a “name check” nomination.
Also I really don’t see the industry giving DAYS OF OUR LIVES the win in this category for a 4th year in a row. DAYS has won the Younger Actor category 4 times in the last 6 years; many may feel that is enough.
The only way I can see Smith winning is if the GH guys split the vote. DAYS does well in categories when there are multiple nominees from the other shows.April 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm #428679
Tequan Richmond will win cause he’s black. Black men have done reallly well in this category. Kristoff St. John, Monti Sharp, Kevin Mambo won twice in a row, and Bryant James.April 2, 2015 at 12:27 pm #428680
Tequan Richmond will win cause he’s black. Black men have done reallly well in this category. Kristoff St. John, Monti Sharp, Kevin Mambo won twice in a row, and Bryant James.
Oh give me a break….those 4 you listed did not win because they are black, they won because they were the best.
Monti Sharp, Kevin Mambo, Kristoff St. John…that is some heavy talent right there.April 2, 2015 at 12:37 pm #428681
I’m not sure which episodes Freddie Smith is eligible for – I am looking forward to seeing what he submitted. I would love it if either the wedding or the bachelor party are eligible for him, because he was Emmy-worthy in both. The problem I sometimes have is that I can’t remember the end of one year’s episodes and the beginning of another, so I don’t remember which episodes were strongest from early in 2014 for him. But he is always superb! I found Max Ehrich’s submission underwhelming; Tequan Richmond I am guessing submitted the scenes with Jordan and Shawn when they told him about his father? If so, it’s a superb submission and he could win. I’m not as big a fan of Bryan Craig’s as others; i’m assuming it will be his learning about Sonny and Ava having sex? It’s good strong solid work – this category feels to me like a 3-way race (I just was so underwhelmed by Max Ehrich’s performance). Looking forward to learning Freddie’s submission (: (btw, he absolutely deserves an Emmy for his work so far in 2015! No question about it, he has been BRILLIANT!)April 3, 2015 at 12:03 am #428682
Bryan Craig’s reel is basically the same one from last year. Same emotions and everything. Nothing to right home about, and I’m actually predicting he wins. I hope he loses. I would be fine with Richmond winning, and black men have had a great track record in Younger Actor than in the other acting categories. I’m not sure if there is an urgency to reward them because they’re Black or because they’re damn good (I’m thinking it’s the latter). I wouldn’t underestimate Max Ehrich. He has been nominated three years in a row, and some actors tend to win on their third nomination. Freddie Smith stands a good chance, especially if he submits something from the Wedding episode/storyline.
The Younger Actor/Actress field is a weird one. Drew Tyler Bell and Brittany Allen won, especially on their first nominations, so would anyone really be shocked at a Tequan Richmond win?April 3, 2015 at 4:38 am #428683
I looked up Freddie Smith’s birthdate – March 19th – so according to EmmyLoser the wedding episodes aren’t eligible for submissions ): (I honestly don’t understand that ruling: it ought to be if you were 25 when the episode was FILMED, not aired!). So, with that said, I have no idea what his best possible submission would be. He is always superb so I have no worries other than his acting is usually sweet and romantic rather than angry or emotional (of course his work this year has had greater range due to his storyline, and he’s my frontrunner for Best Lead Actor for 2015 so far, and yes, I know: Anthony Geary has a phenomenal Emmy reel with the anniversary episode dual role). I am certainly rooting for Freddie, but I can’t predict fully until I know what he submitted. I can say that Freddie Smith is the best actor of these four nominees and should be the winner. But the reels matter.
With that said, I am really underwhelmed by Max Ehrich’s submission. It was good and solid but nothing “wow” about it. I was surprised he didn’t choose something from the prison storyline at the beginning of 2014, which was imo better work from him. Tequan Richmond was quite good in his reel but again no real “wow” factor from him. I see the race as being Craig vs. Smith, with Richmond the dark horse in the race. I like him, he was on my dream ballot (but I predicted Casey Moss – what on earth did that boy submit? SO surprised he didn’t make it). I’m not even ruling out Max Ehrich, since I think it’s just a dislike of his acting style for me personally. As for Bryan Craig, he did submit the exact same reel last year (but he was up against Chandler Massey, ’nuff said!). It’s an emotional reel, which always plays well with the panelists. It’s the best of the 3 reels I have seen so far, and it all depends on what Freddie submitted…April 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm #428684
So, I sat down
and watched all of the reels today that are posted so far on Pop’s
website. Here’s how I would rank the
contenders and a little about my thoughts on each reel.
April 3, 2015 at 8:00 pm #428685
Tequan Richmond: This
one really surprised me. The performance
didn’t surprise me, because I’ve always thought he was good, but I was
surprised that he rose to the top for me because I was expecting more form the
others. He showed a lot of range, from
anger, to hurt, to confusion and surprise.
He also has a very expressive face.
Vinessa and Shawn also played the perfect supporting players. They were both great, but at the same time,
they let him be the star. He showed that
you can have a fairly subtle reel that still packs an emotional punch.
**Tie** Bryan Craig and Freddie Smith: I
kind of had similar feelings about both of these reels, and they were on the
same level for me, so I had to tie them.
I was expecting more from both of them based on their years as a whole,
but was slightly disappointed. Bryan
Craig was good and showed some decent range, but it wasn’t enough for me. I wanted more, and this definitely wasn’t his
best reel. As for Freddie, he was
actually really good in his 4 minutes, but it was a little one note, and I
wanted more from it, but this might have been the best that he had before he turned
This spot should have went to Casey Moss. I love Max, but this reel didn’t do anything
for me. It was only about 4 minutes, and
he didn’t really do much. He had some
nice moments at the end with his parents, but it didn’t pack any punch as a
Bryan Craig should have submitted the direct fallout of Crypt Sex. All 3; him, Maura, & Maurice were phenomenal together.
That being said, his reel this year is a lot shorter (which can be good) and much more nuanced and subtle. Very raw, and straight to the point. I liked his submission last year a lot more, though…April 3, 2015 at 9:24 pm #428686
GHFan and I basically agree, although I rate Freddie Smith a bit higher – I think he was hamstrung by the eligibility rule and couldn’t submit his best work (wish he had submitted in the Supporting Actor category). Freddie is really good but it’s all frustrated anger with no range to it; still, I always enjoy his acting choices.
Tequan Richmond’s performance is by far the best of the four – I moved him up from third to first in my predictions! The other three submissions felt a bit flat to me. I found Bryan Craig’s performance whiney and irritating, yet I rated Max Ehrich even lower because he showed very little emotion (two things: curious as to what Casey Moss submitted; and I wish Nicholas Bechtel had submitted a reel). I go into greater detail on the Emmy submissions thread, but here is my top four (after seeing the reels again):
1. Tequan Richmond, GH
2. Freddie Smith, Days
3. Bryan Craig, GH
4. Max Ehrich, Y&RApril 4, 2015 at 8:39 am #428687
Just watched all of the reels. Freddie Smith & Max Ehrich’s tapes were really, really bad–mostly underwhelming. Too short, and not much range at all. This should be a race between the GH kids with the more diverse and intriguing reels.
1. Bryan Craig, GH – Although I feel he had a plethora of better scenes/material to choose from, this reel still stands out as the best of this weak pack. Much more subtle and nuanced than last year, (which was phenomenal), plus it really shines a light on [him] in the role. His tape is also the only one that doesn’t cross the border of “over-acting”.
2. Tequan Richmond, GH – I was pleasantly surprised by this one! His was the longest, but his performance kept your attention the entire way through. I could easily see him snagging this.
3. Freddie Smith, DAYS – This was superbly underwhelming, because I’ve seen him do much better work. I think the only reason why he chose this was because it was prior to his birthday, turning 26.
4. Max Ehrich, Y&R – This puzzled me. His reels in previous years have been a lot better, as it was the least versatile performance out of the four. Disappointed.