July 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm #427264
The first six months of 2014 have come and gone. One thing i noticed was how few leads there are who have done Emmy-worthy work but the enormous number of supporting players who have done stellar work. This is my subjective take on who has done the best work in 2014 (so far). It will be interesting to see if the new additions (and ED’s return to Days) will factor in the next six months….
1. ALISON SWEENEY as Sami Brady on Days Of Our Lives. She has delivered this year big time! She has a standout Emmy reel episode (the fake reveal) in which we got every possible emotion, and it was almost a “greatest hits” of Samantha Brady!!! She is SOOO overdue for Emmy recogintion! And I’m sure the next 4 months she will deliver more great performances.
2. MAURA WEST as Ava Jerome. A completely delicious villainess – I find myself rooting for her! I esp. loved two episodes: when she convinced A.J. he had killed Connie; and the episode where she narrates how she, Ava, had killed Connie.
3. NANCY LEE GRAHN as Alexis Davis. Likely to place herself in the supporting category, but she’s had a great deal of screen time in 2014, major stories with Julian and Molly, and she has delivered, as usual, superb performances. I loved the episode where Alexis tells Molly to have sex with T.J. while she waits in the next room! (:
4. ARIANNE ZUCKER as Nicole Walker. She’s borderline lead/support, but she had a major storyline early in 2014, and standout episodes when she and Eric revealed they loved each other back in January…
5. SHARON CASE as Sharon Newman. Scenes where she was being “haunted” by the late Cassie were standouts, and her work with Josh Morrow’s Nick…
1. JASON THOMPSON as Dr. Patrick Drake. He has done some of his best work ever in 2014, esp. scenes begging Robin not to leave, and grieving over Gabriel’s death with Sabrina.. he is also great with Emma.
2. JAMES SCOTT as E.J. DiMera. The fakeout reveal has been his best episode. I don’t like E.J., but I have loved James’ work and will miss him when he’s gone….
3. GREG VAUGHAN as Eric Brady. Lead or support? He has his own storyline with Nicole and is a leading man, so…. Loved his scenes when he and Nicole revealed they loved each other (:
4. DARIN BROOKS as Wyatt Spencer. Wyatt and Quinn are my favorite characters on B&B – he’s a breath of fresh air! His recent performance grieving the loss of Hope to Liam was outstanding…
5. JOSHUA MORROW as Nick Newman. Great work with Sharon and Mariah this year. He’s underrated.July 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm #427266
SUPPORTING ACTRESS (there were 12 actresses vying for the five slots! Most from GH and Days).
1. TERESA CASTILLO as Sabrina Santiago. Grieving scenes with the death of Gabriel were superb. I think she’s enormously underrated as an actress…
2. KIRSTEN STORMS as Maxie Scorpio. Maxie is back and shining brightly! Love her work with Lulu and Nathan. Wish she wasn’t saddled with scenes with Levi, but she’s doing remarkable heartfelt work.
3. JANE ELLIOT as Tracy Quartermaine. She’s always superb. She hasn’t had the standout scenes so far in 2014 she had in 2013 and other years, but she’s always superb!
4. KASSIE DePAIVA as Eve Donovan. She’s just come on the show and she’s so alive and vital! Stealing scenes and has me interested immediately! Can’t wait for what comes next!
5. RENA SOFER as Quinn. She plays crazy amazingly well! I always so throughly enjoy all of her scenes.
My long list of other actresses for this category: Lauren Koslow, Deidre Hall, Suzanne Rogers, Kristian Alfonso, Jen Lilley for Days; Kimberly McCullough, Leslie Charleson, Kimberly McCullough, Kellie Thibaud, Finola Hughes, Rebecca Hebst, Kathleen Gati, Ilene Kristen, the actress who plays Jordan, all from GH; and Camryn Grimes for Y&R…
1. BLAKE BERRIS as Nick Fallon, Standout: his talk with Julie right before Gabi shoots him….
2. FREDDIE SMITH as Sonny Kiriakis. His love for Will – two standouts: the wedding and the Monday episode the same week (the bachelor party).
3. SEAN KANAN as A.J. Quartermaine. He played the tortured A.J. brilliantly, esp. great scenes with Maura West and Chad Duell…
4. ERIC MARTSOLF as Brady Black. He’s playing his drug addiction storyline briliantly! I know men exactly like Brady.
5. RYAN PAEVEY as Det. Nathan West. Love his work with Maxie, crazy sister Nina, even Levi brings out the best in Nathan!
Others: Parry Shen, Ryan Carnes, Tyler Christopher, William deVry, for GH; Billy Miller, Michael Muhney, David Tom, Doug Davidson, and Ray Wise for Y&R….July 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm #427267
1. HALEY PULLOS as Molly Lansing Davis. Thinking about losing her virginity, dealing with her father’s “death” – her Emmy reel: grieving over her father’s death, she has two episodes that were superb!
2. CAMILA BANUS as Gabi Hernandez. Standout: she reveals she killed Nick. Controlled, building up to earned tears…
3. KATE MANSI as Abigail Devereaux. Sizlling scenes with E.J. Abby is growing up!
4. BROOK LYN SIGLER as Emma Drake. This child actress is great and one really believes she’s Patrick and Robin’s daughter, and loves Sabrina. Her scenes with Patrick are particularly endearing!
1. CHAD DUELL as Michael Corinthos. Making the decision to go ahead with A.J.’s surgery and his grief over A.J.’s passing – superb!
2. GUY WILSON as Will Horton. He’s done a really good job as Will, just not as good as Chandler Massey. Still, the wedding and the episodes leading up to the wedding, were outstanding!
3. CASEY MOSS as J.J. Devereaux. I was a bit bored with J.J., but Eve’s arrival has brought him some stronger acting material.
4. TEQUAN RICHMOND as T.J. Great scenes with Molly, Jordan and Shawn….
DRAMA SERIES, DIRECTING and WRITING
1. Days Of Our Lives! It’s the most consistent of the four shows. Many episodes have had a rare quality: I haven’t been bored with ANY of the scenes throughout entire episodes!
2. General Hospital. Such a great cast, but a decision has been made to underutilize (for budgetary reasons) most of the cast, so almost everyone makes guest appearances and the drama is incredibly choppy. Hate the mobsters and that so many bad guys are plotting against even worse bad guys….
3. The Young and the Restless – strong scenes back in January right before Billy Miller and Michael Muhney left, but most episodes are so hard to sit all the way through. So many BORING characters, dull stories, and lack of chemistry….
4. The Bold and the Beautiful – I will admit it: I watch for Darin Brooks’ Wyatt and Rena Sofer’s Quinn – really don’t like the other characters much at all. Love the sets, costumes, and the look of this show, though (can I live there, please?)July 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm #427268
Isn’t Chad Duell 26 and therefore now only eligible for supporting and lead? I’d put Bryan Craig in consideration for Ava and Sonny’s betrayal.July 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm #427269
Michelle Stafford and Alison Sweeney are the two actresses I like the most so I hope they both get in.
Heather Tom’s getting in no matter what.July 7, 2014 at 7:14 pm #427270
Great picks, Freeman! If I had done a list, it would have been nearly identical!July 8, 2014 at 4:04 am #427271
I thought Bryan Craig is 26 and Chad Duell is 22? I’m never sure about ages in those categories…. looking forward to the next six months!July 8, 2014 at 4:55 am #427272
You’ve got it reversed.
Craig should have enough chances to win soon. Unless of course Days and Y&R keep block voting the noms and winners, in which case lets end this whole charade now.July 8, 2014 at 7:21 am #427273
Good lists! According to his IMDb page, Guy Wilson is too old to compete in younger actor. I think there was a question about Kate Mansi’s age and eligibility as well, but IMDb has her turning 26 in September, which would mean she’s still good for younger actress reels until then.
I love that some of the kids are really getting actual material to play, like Emma on GH, who you mentioned, and also Ciara and Ali on DAYS. They’re adorable kids, but they’re also rising to the challenge and playing the emotions in their roles well.July 8, 2014 at 7:43 am #427274
You’ve got it reversed.
Craig should have enough chances to win soon. Unless of course Days and Y&R keep block voting the noms and winners, in which case lets end this whole charade now.
I’m not sure that this actually happened. Yes, both are owned by Sony, but are there actually any signs that this fact influenced voting? I suspect a Y&R’r would be more inclined to block vote with B&B (and vice versa) due to the Bell connection and close physical proximity of the sets, rather than anythig to do with Sony.
July 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm #427275
In addition to all of the nominees this year, that lead actress race will be looking something fierce with Michelle Stafford, Allison Sweeney, Gina Tognoni, and Maura West in the mix.
I also think that Ashlyn Pearce will win younger actress. The scenes with Aly and Taylor were a mix of using history and doing the damn most. The “Psycho” teas had me -_- with how thick they layed it on, but she was really impressive.July 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm #427276
Guy Wilson was born in 1985 so he is turning 29 this year.
I may get hate for this but I like Nicolas Bechtel who plays Spencer on GH. He is by far the best of that elementry school triangle that GH is trying to do. His work though has been more comic relief than anything though.July 8, 2014 at 2:23 pm #427277
See (no offense to the actor) but I hit the mute button faster than anything whenever he speaks. I find the actress that plays Emma does excellent work and is not unlike the woman who plays her mother was at that age. If she and her parents are willing if love to see her grow up in real time like we did with Kimberly/Robin.July 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm #427278
Actors eligible for Younger Categories (as of July 8, 2014)
-Kristen Alderson (Kiki, GH) – currently 23
-Camila Banus (Gabi, DAYS) – turns 24 on 7/22 (left show in June)
-Nicolas Bechtel (Spencer, GH) – birth year unknown
-Lauren Boles (Ciara, DAYS) – currently 10
-Bryan Craig (Morgan, GH) – currently 22
-Jimmy Deshler (Rafe, GH) – currently 19
-Max Ehrich (Fenmore, Y&R) – currently 23
-Justin Gaston (Ben, DAYS) – turns 26 on 8/12 (only on show from Feb to May)
-Linsey Godfrey (Caroline, B&B) turns 26 on 7/25
-Camryn Grimes (Mariah, Y&R) currently 24
-Aaron & Griffin Kunitz (Johnny, DAYS) – currently 9
-Kelli Goss (Courtney, Y&R) – currently 22
-Hunter King (Summer, Y&R) – currently 20
-Michael Leone (Cameron, GH) – birth year unknown
-Kate Mansi (Abigail, DAYS) – MAY NOT BE ELIGIBLE some sources list her birth year as 1987 others 1988. Her birthday is 9/15
-Kim Matula (Hope, B&B) turns 26 on 8/23
-Casey Moss (JJ, DAYS) – currently 21
-Hannah Nordberg (Josslyn, GH) – birth year unknown
-True O’Brien (Paige, DAYS) – currently 20
-Allison Paige (Bev, DAYS) – currently 25
-Ashlyn Pearce (Alexandria, B&B) [I cannot find a birthdate but she appears to be under 26)
-Haley Pullos (Molly, GH) – will be 16 on 7/10
-Terrell Ransom Jr. (Theo, DAYS) – currently 11
-Tequan Richmond (TJ, GH) – currently 21
-Kevin Riggin (Rory, DAYS) – approx 25 (cannot find birth year for him)
-Carolyn & Campbell Rose (Allie, DAYS) – currently 9
-Brooklyn Rae Silzer (Emma, GH) – birth year unknown
-Freddie Smith (Sonny, DAYS) – turned 26 on 3/19 most likely will move into supporting due to limited options for reels.
I may of missed someone who has left their show in the past six months.July 8, 2014 at 4:12 pm #427279
Thanks for that illuminating list, jcar. It’s kind of amazing that Lauren Boles playing Ciara is only a year older than the two sets of twins playing Johnny and Allie. It could be interesting to see Camryn Grimes make another run at an Emmy for playing Mariah on Y&R.