June 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm #424782
If your like me and you don’t really watch soaps the Daytime Emmys are all about the Talk Show, Culinary, Courtroom, Game Show, and Morning Show categories.
Here are my top 10 storylines for this weekend.
1. Can Judge Judy finally win her first Emmy after going 0 for 15 in her previous nominations? She is by far the most succesful courtroom show on TV. There may not even be a Courtroom category if not for her. Have the voters deemed her too unlikeable to vote for? Why her and not someone like Bobby Flay whose won multiple Emmys despite being a grade A dick? Peoples Court is also looking for their first win in 5 nominations. I’m still trying to figure out what channel Judge Gunn, last years winner and 3rd nominee this year, is on.
2. Rachel Ray watched her Talk Show upset Ellen 2 years in a row a seemingly impossible feat. Yet she couldn’t beat The View, Dr. Oz, or Kelly/Regis for Host a seemingly easier feat. To add insult to injury all her Food Network female counterparts, Ina Garten, Giada, Paula Deen, and Sandra Lee also won in the same period. Can this 8 time loser finally win Best Host? And seeing the voters have failed to nominate her Talk Show the last 2 years yet still nominated her as Host haven’t they totally contradicted themselves?
3. Leeza Gibbons earned ten nominations as Host and Producer in the 90’s. She earned nomination #11 this year for Lifestyle Host. Can she finally claim an Emmy?
4. TV Icon Suzanne Somers earned the first Emmy nomination in her career as Lifestyle Host. Will she finally claim an Emmy? Both her and Gibbons would have to beat Jack Hanna to do so.
5. Good Morning America overtook The Today Show this year in the ratings. Can that and the negative attention over the Ann Curry dismissal and Matt Lauer end The Today Show’s 3 year winning streak?
6. Longtime TV Host Ricki Lake made a return to TV and earned her 2nd career Emmy nomination. Can she take home her first Emmy as Host?
7. Culinary Host includes past winners Ina Garden and Giada and former Food Network Star contestant Kelsey Nixon. I will be rooting for Lidia Bastianich of PBS Lidia’s Italy to take home her first Emmy on her 3rd nomination (previous 2 nominations were as producer).
8. The Doctors doctors made a big boo boo on the Emmy operating table. They did not submit themselves as consulting producers the year the show won in 2010. They realized this and submitted themselves as producers the last 2 years the show lost to Dr. OZ. They also lost their Best Host category. With the show likely to lose again have The Doctors cost themselves an Emmy due to malpractice?
9. After beating The Ellen Degeneres Show and winning its first Emmy last year can Live with Kelly and now Michael do it again?
10. Steve Harvey is looking for his first Emmy and will have 2 opportunities in Talk Show Host and Game Show Host.June 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm #424784
Judge Judy will NEVER win an Emmy. This is one thing I am sure of. She is unlikeable.
Rachel Ray IMHO hasn’t won host because she comes across as very annoying and grating.June 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm #424785
I am really hoping the “stars” (Ellen, Kelly, “The View” hosts, etc.) show up, but they won’t.
As for these categories, I would love for “The Talk” to get some love and for Judge Judy to finally get that Emmy.June 12, 2013 at 8:06 pm #424786
There are plenty of unlikeable people who have won Emmys. I think Bobby Flay is the Devil personally and he’s won twice. That can’t be the only reason. Bad submissions can’t be the only reason either because people won with sub par submissions all the time.
I also don’t think Rachael Ray is any more or less grating than Dr. Oz or Kelly Ripa or Sandra Lee. All who have won.June 12, 2013 at 9:59 pm #424787
Judge Judy comes across as a harsh, brash and somewhat mean person. I just don’t think she’s going to win. There is a reason she has lost so many times. Voters prefer their judges to be less um…. harsh and more soft.
IDK about Rachel I was just guessing. Rachel IMHO, comes across as a bit annoying. Her voice grates on my nerves.
Bobby to me, seems likeable.June 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm #424788
What about animated program? The Penguins of Madagascar again?June 15, 2013 at 12:26 am #424789
Well #1 and #3 have been answered. Judge Judy won on her 15th nomination. Leeza Gibbons won on her 11th nomination.
With the monkey off both of their backs I guess Rachael Ray is now the biggest Emmy bridesmaid in the race on TV at 0 for 8.
Interesting in recent years how some big time Emmy bridesmaids who looked hopeless have won. First it was Kelly Ripa winning for a parade. Than it was Kathie Lee Gifford and Dr. Phil backing into wins as part of The Today Show and The Doctors producing team respectively. Now Judge Judy and Leeza.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.