Home Forums Daytime TV Official 2014 Emmy Reels

Official 2014 Emmy Reels

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
OLTLfan
Scoopster
  • Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

Creating a new thread now that we know the pre-nominations.  We can all post the reels here once they are known.

Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE_Sklv1qLI

This is the reel Blake Berris submitted for contention in Supporting Actor.

This is the exact reel he should have submitted.  He has a good shot at the win with this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

Freddie Smiths emmy reel for Younger Actor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgtuiTnxHNk

ReplyCopy URL
    Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

Casey Moss – Emmy reel for Younger Actor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhBFOfjcNo

ReplyCopy URL
    Matt McClamrock
    Participant
    Topics:

My order of preference based on 2013 work:

1.  Hughes – When Finola Hughes won her Best Actress Emmy back in 1991, I cringed.  I hated GH at the time.  I thought it was a WSB nightmare filled with silly super couples chasing a yearly villain of choice.  When AMC hired her as Alex (and later Anna), I thought that they should be spending their money elsewhere.  I’ve never been a fan of action and adventure storylines and Anna (and later Alex) always seem to be in one of those.  Then I started watching GH when RC took over as head writer and Robin “died”.  Anna returned, found out about Patrick’s affair with Lisa Niles and what Lisa did to Robin and she took Dr. Drake to task and I thought she was going to throw him off the roof.  Granted that was 2012 work (for which she was overlooked in favor of less than worthy Lead Actress candidate Peggy McCay).  In 2013, Hughes not only played Anna, but she also played Obrecht playing Anna which was remarkable work.  She was also very good in her confrontation scenes with Faison – – not to mention her work when Anna found out Duke was working with Sonny or when Anna found out that Julian Jereme was still alive.  Hughes is now one of those people I could watch read the phone book.  For me, her work was the best.  

2.  Davidson – I’ve always been a big fan of Ashley Abbott….errrr…I mean Eileen Davidson.  While Kristen is entertaining, I love Ashley Abbott and miss her tremendously on Y&R.  However, I was a huge supporter of Davidson during her first and second run on Days and love that the Days writers used her talent to the hilt.  But was Kristen plotting against a priest enough to warrant a win?  I’m not sure.  

3.  West – Without a doubt, Maura took PC by storm this year.  If only the Y&R writers had been more clever she could have done the same thing there.  I give Maura major kudos for knocking this role out of the park.  It was in her early days that she had a scene with Roger Howarth’s Franco where she laid into him for his psychotic past.  Of course, this was before they re-wrote who Kiki’s father would be, but West delivered.  We watched that scene three times! 

4.  Walton – While I would not have considered Jill a lead in 2013, I can understand that with Kay’s death, she did “inherit” some additional screentime.  I truly believe that if Jeanne Cooper hadn’t died, JFP would have written Jill off into space to make room for younger characters.  Wasn’t Walton dropped to recurring?  Nonetheless, Walton had some great moments when Katherine died.  
    5.  Zucker – I thought Ari would have been a great Supporting Actress candidate.  Since when has Nicole Walker been the “lead” on Days of Our Lives.  That spot belongs to Sweeney and, last year, Davidson.  But, I digress.  Zucker is a good actress and has some really great moments.  For me, she shines brighter than most of the other cast members.  
    6.  Wright – I dislike Carly, but Wright is very good at playing her.  Not sure Wright had the material to warrant another Best Actress nomination, especially since most agree that her win two years ago was based on less than substantive material.  Not to mention, I felt that if she was going to get to the podium and go on and on about how she deserved that Emmy because she’s been in the business 20 years, she should have made mention of her co-nominee, Colleen Zenk, who had not only just lost her 30 plus year job on ATWT, but also lost the Emmy.  
    7.  Monaco – I don’t get her appeal.  She can act – every now and then, but mostly I think she phones in the work.  
    8.  Lang – Ugghh.  Give it up, lady.  You got the Supporting nod last year because Flannery died and you submitted in the correct category.  It likely didn’t hurt that your tapes weren’t about Brooke and a man.  I don’t think the Academy really cares for Brooke, so Lang has to lose out.  Not much of a loss since 2013 was not her finest.  
    9.  Sweeney – has come a long way over the years, but this category is too competitive
    10.  Collins – still unbelievable that she considers herself a leading role on Y&R
    11.  Case – had better material in prior years
    12.  Tom – Because I’m so over her.  She won her 5th Emmy last year and couldn’t have been more ungracious.  Apparently, her time with Erika Slezak was not spent on learning to be humble.   

ReplyCopy URL
    gdfl
    Participant
    Topics:

^^ Re Tom and Wright, I just saw them as two women being excited about their accomplishments.  Tom’s win last year was historic, and Wright was all “20 years!” because over that time period there was some discussion about how she had never been nominated for her work on GL and GH.  I say give them both a break and let them be happy.  If they can’t be happy after winning a freaking Emmy, what’s a girl got do to be allowed to be happy?

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

It is very easy to be irritated with a winner’s exubrance when they’re at the podium clutching an award you didn’t want them to win or don’t think they should have won.  I don’t even remember what Heather Tom said last year.  As much as I didn’t really want her to win again so soon, looking at the reels, there was no alternative.  It was such a forgone conclusion, and the telecast was such a mess, that I don’t even remember her accepting the award.  I do remember Laura Wright’s speech, and while I wasn’t rooting for her either (you all know by now I think how much I cannot stand Carly), I understood the excitement, even if it did sound a little like she was saying that it’s about time someone realized she’s awesome and gave her an Emmy.  If Eileen Davidson wins this year, she could probably be as ungracious as she wants and it still wouldn’t bother me.

I’ll get to ranking the nominees later, when I have a little more time, but I’m glad we’re all getting into the swing of things.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t recall all too much about Heather Tom’s speech that night either, lol, as I admit my focus was on that amazing dress! Wowza!!

But getting back on topic, I was thinking about what scenes Scott Clifton could choose from when he’s putting together his Emmy reel. One performance of his from last year that I absolutely loved (and I unfortunately didn’t get around to citing) was in the 6/12/13 episode in which Steffy announces her plans on leaving for Europe. Specifically the part where Liam doesn’t want to let Steffy go and closes in on her for an embrace as he pleadingly reassures her that their relationship doesn’t have to end, was so fearlessly acted by Clifton that even now in thinking about it, I’m still moved by it. I really hope he at least considers those scenes when selecting his reel, though he’s got lots of great work from the rest of the year to choose from. I couldn’t yet locate a clip of that particular episode on youtube but if/when I do find it, I’ll still try to post a link to it here.

EDITED TO ADD: Just realized I posted the wrong episode date above; it should read Thursday, 6/13/13, also referenced in the CBS Daytime B&B website episode archives as episode #6593. This should take you directly there:
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_bold_and_the_beautiful/episodes/212179

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I think I’m going to create another thread for this, but alokin’s post above reminded me that we should all be suggesting reels for our favorites on the forums.  Stars do sometimes consult Goldderby about what they should submit, and in this case, actors have until Monday, March 17 to make their final reel submissions.  So we should definitely keep the suggestions coming!

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Yikes! March 17th is coming up pretty fast. Thnx for the heads-up, EmmyLoser. We all better get crackin’ with some more reel suggestions. I will post mine later in the other thread you created for this topic.

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason Thompson’s Emmy Reel

12-23-13

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish he had submitted the non-wedding scenes. I doubt he can win with this. He may not even be nominated. We know
    Billy Miller, Christian LeBlanc, Peter Bergman, James Scott and Maurice
    Benard all have killer tapes.  Somehow, vets with little screentime or
    story like John McCook and Doug Davidson manage to find one tape a year
    that makes them competitive for a nom. Assuming they all submit their
    best, there may not be room for Thompson’s solid, effective but understated work here.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for that update, OLTLfan.  The Daytime Emmy Twitter account tweeted earlier that blue ribbon panel judging is under way, which makes me think more submissions will start to trickle out very soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Anxious to see what Greg Vaughan and Jane Elliot submitted (: Hope they submitted wisely! Please, JE, “the whole enchilada” scene! (: And GV: either confronting Nicole or the Monday episode after the big reveal in November (: Also, curious as to which of the many great scenes Eileen D. submitted: the confrontation scene with Marlena in May is the one that has tremendous range. And Maura West? Just like ED, she has so much great material to choose from! (:

I still feel so strongly that the daytime Emmys should have a nominating committee, who watch all the shows all year so that consistency can win and not just Emmy bait reels ):

I’ve been watching YouTube episodes of various old daytime shows and I’ve seen some egregiously overlooked actors and actresses (Louise Shaffer on The Edge Of Night, Jada Rowland on The Doctors, Kathryn Hays on As the World Turns, Chris Bernau on Guiding Light, Kate Mulgrew, Ilene Kristen, Sarah Felder and Karen Morris-Gowdy on Ryan’s Hope, specifically Michael Zaslow and Maureen Garrett for the 1979 rape storyline on Guiding Light was Emmy worthy for both of them…just to name a few)….

Anyway, hope Freddie Smith’s submission garners him another Emmy nomination, the same for Blake Berris! (:

I don’t think Jason Thompson submitted a strong enough scene ):

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, between Benard and Thompson, Benard definitely has the better shot at a nom. Benard had more challenging material to work with (Connie’s death; going off the rails while refusing to take his bipolar disorder meds; then the issues of his divided loyalty between his two sons Michael and Morgan) and I feel like he really aced all those scenes. A nom for him would be extremely well deserved, imo.
    I’m also a bit surprised Jason Thompson didn’t go for the scenes surrounding Patrick & Sabrina’s wedding and the Robin reunion as his choice, but we all have to keep in mind, Kimberly McCullough is also submitting, and considering Robin’s return happened late in the year which doesn’t leave her with many choices for her reel, I suspect she may have opted for the wedding episode instead. If she did, that may actually work to benefit Thompson from the double exposure, as of course, those scenes where Robin is reunited with little Emma and Patrick packed a lot of emotional punch. Plus, chances are, since the weddding/reunion was such a big ratings draw, a good majority of voters on the panel (one would hope anyway) will have already likely seen those scenes. Overall, I think Thompson was wise in his choice and I wouldn’t yet count him out on a nom. So there’s still hope, OLTLfan!

And yes, FreemanGriffin, that’s a great idea. There really needs to be such a thing as a nominating committee (that consists of dedicated and experienced viewers of all our dramas) which advises the voting panel in taking notice of not just the stand-out performances of the year, but those performers that deliver consistently week-in, week-out. Our daytime dramas produce roughly 250 episodes in a year. So then shouldn’t the Daytime Emmys be all about honoring a performer’s cumulative achievement in a given year? I think it’s so odd how judging on nominees/winners is based on ONE measly episode and I think this places way too much emphasis on a performer’s choice of reel. And it really irritates me when, b/c of the way the voting system is set up, performers with very limited screentime still manage to steal away noms from worthy candidates who were given considerably more material and had ample screentime, only b/c the former benefited from episodes that were, more or less, Emmy bait.

We know
    Billy Miller, Christian LeBlanc, Peter Bergman, James Scott and Maurice
    Benard all have killer tapes.  Somehow, vets with little screentime or
    story like John McCook and Doug Davidson manage to find one tape a year
    that makes them competitive for a nom.

Those are actually the top five that I think will make it onto the ballot. I adore both McCook and Davidson as actors, but I must contend, both did nothing that was Emmy-worthy last year, and really have no business being on the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Official 2014 Emmy Reels

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.