April 13, 2017 at 5:45 pm #1202065904
Burton is once again completely overshadowed by his female costar in his own reel. He has a few strong moments in the end but it’s not enough.
Aniston and Reynolds are talented vets who are both long overdue. Both do solid work. But both reels felt underwhelming to me.
Duell submitted scenes dealing with the death of his girlfriend and brother. He even accuses his father of mistakenly causing his brother’s death. Extremely baity material and he emotes like a champ throughout. A definite contender for the win.
I’m shocked to say this because I’ve never been a big fan of the actor, but Parisse pieced together an incredibly competitive reel with lots of range. He submitted two sets of scenes with Sabrina, one as Joe and one as Carlos. He’s utterly charming in both. He also submitted Carlos/Sonny and Carlos/Julian scenes where he gets to show his character’s ruthless/heinous side. He easily has the most complete reel with the most range, plus he’s playing a dual role which the Emmys love.
I’d love to see one of the DAYS vets take this but I don’t see how GH loses this category.April 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm #1202065919
I disagree. Burton had the best reel by far and should win. I was impressed by the range shown and to me he was not overshadowed at all. He owned the reel. Duell came a distant second and the rest were nothing to right home about.
5. ParisseApril 14, 2017 at 7:32 am #1202066314
I watched all supporting actor reels here is my opinion:
5: John Aniston: These were nice scenes and John Aniston deserves the nod more for the body of work. Nothing about this screamed emmy nod at all.
4: James Reynolds: This was a better reel then Aniston. It didnt really connect until the end with the scene with Kayla and his son. I will say it was cohesive and Reynolds is a good actor. I dont know another situation where it was good but not great.
3: Chad Duell: I thought Duell had solid stuff. He showed his range from going from Sabrinas death to Morgans death. I thought Duell kind of chewed scenery a bit and a got a little shouty. Overall very good stuff but i thought his reel which he won two years ago was better.
2: Jeffrey Parisse: i loved his reel he played Carlos so pyschlogically bad and loved the scenes with him with Sonny and then Julian. Also props he showed the twin. Emmy voters for years love episodes with twins. He is the dark horse. A pyschological mind trip is what i call his reel.
1: Steve Burton: what can i say some of Burtons best work of his career. He was utterly heartbreaking in these scenes giving up Sully. He wasnt overshadowed by Case they were equally good. Burton never overacted these svenes u were crying along with Dylan. Burton won almost 20 years ago on GH and how nice if he won for this.April 14, 2017 at 11:22 am #1202066545
I ranked the reels exactly the same way as DML Interesting to read everyone’s varying opinions, though.April 14, 2017 at 2:45 pm #1202066705
1. Burton (Far better of a reel compared to the stuff he turned in last year. He did very well choosing the scenes when he found out about Sully/Christian not being his. Dylan’s pain was deep and I felt it. Nicely done).
3. Aniston (He’s definitely a supporting actor, however, I wasn’t blown away by his scenes. Not to mention, the storyline he was in between Victor vs Deimos wasn’t well written. These scenes were ok, but I don’t think it’s winnable, but it is nice he is getting his just do being nominated).
4. Reynolds (Great scenes between he and Kyler Pettis (Theo). You can’t really go wrong with scenes between father and son and they make a nice combo on the show. Even though Higley isn’t a great writer, I do appreciate her for writing for the black characters on Days which has struggled for years trying to make them visible on the show).
5. PraisseApril 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm #1202068187
Jeffrey Vincent Parise has a good reel, but his character is so annoying that it might work against him. The reel showcases everything that is wrong with the writing of General Hospital.
Chad Duell‘s reel is fantastic. He is showcased in numerous emotional scenes, and he is in full command of each one. Like co-star Bryan Craig, he is clearly the star of his reel. For me, this reel was more powerful than the rest.
James Carver is a stalwart daytime actor and turns in a strong performance. Overall, however, the material on the reel will probably not result in a win. The best parts were his scenes with Theo in the beginning and end.
Another Days stalwart, John Aniston, is very engaging in his scenes, but the reel is short and lacks the dramatic impact of his competitors.
Steve Burton turned in a nice reel with very competitive material. However, Sharon Case is so strong in these scenes that it could have been her reel.
1. Chad Duell
2. Steve Burton
3. Jeffrey Vincent Parise
4. James Carver
5. John AnistonApril 17, 2017 at 9:33 am #1202068771
1. Steve Burton
2. Jeffrey Vincent Parisse
3. Chad Duell
4. John Aniston
5. James Reynolds
Burton to me did a fantastic job of picking episode and was heartbreakingly excellent in them. His other Y&R reels pale in comparison to this. Yes, Sharon Case is wonderful as well (as she was in Alyvia Alyn Lind’s, Kelly Sullivan’s, and Stacy Haiduk’s reels), but she doesn’t overshadow or detract from Burton at all. They enhance each other. I think he clearly beats everyone except Parisse, which is shocking for me. These are two characters I haven’t liked at all (Dylan and Carlos), so I was very surprised how much I liked these actors’ reels. Parisse is incredibly charismatic throughout his reel, and he did a great job of piecing together a reel with a lot of range that didn’t feel terribly disjointed. Including a sequence with Joe as a contrast to Carlos was great. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he won.
For me, the other three fall behind. Duell doesn’t really do anything wrong in his necessarily, but I just didn’t connect with the emotion of it, neither with Sabrina nor Morgan. Aniston is good in his reel, and I liked seeing both the hard and the soft with Victor, but I think Aniston had much better material to choose from. It just can’t stand up to some of the other reels. Reynolds similarly has a nice reel where he does good work, but it fades a little compared to the others. This is the only category I’ve seen so far where there isn’t one reel that makes me feel like maybe there should have been fewer than five nominees.April 17, 2017 at 6:08 pm #1202069136
1. Jeffrey Vincent Parise (GH)
2. Chad Duell (GH)
3. Steve Burton (YR)
4. James Reynolds (Days)
5. John Aniston (Days) – Like, it’s cute that he got a nomination after decades of work but, c’mon, like really? No.
Favorite Reel: James Reynolds…i guess. I didn’t really understand what was going in Parise’s reel, but he was mesmerizing nonetheless.
Who Will Win?: Chad Duell (It’s between him and Burton, but I think Duell has the edge)April 18, 2017 at 9:15 am #1202069820
And yet another tough category where it’s anyone’s game. This is
a tough call.
1.) Jeffery Vincent Parise – his tape stood out the most because
it was different. He wasn’t being noble or long suffering,he
was just old school bad ass. I couldn’t take my eyes off of
him. Engaging as hell, sublime and he had fun in his reel.
His talent card is current.
2.) Steve Burton – his submission snapped me out of my jaded
mindset of not every crying scene goes well with an Emmy.
In his case it does. How he managed to pull that scene
away from Sharon Case was a revelation. My heart broke
for him. W/ a lesser actor this could have easily become
theatrical pyrotechnics but Burton’s emotional work
was rooted in theatre of the truth. Well done.
3.) Chad Duell -When he delivers outstanding work in an
Emmy tape he loses. Yet when he delivers a “meh so-so ”
reel he wins. What gives? To ensure his win I’m going
to call it a ” meh/so-so ” submission when in all truth,
I’m dying to proclaim it a fantastic reel. This guy
uses his emotional talent responsibly & truthfully.
4.) James Reynolds – Out of all 5 submissions, his packaged
reel was the best. It told a complete story of a father
and son relationship. Beautifully written and beautifully
acted by Mr.Reynolds. Bonus points for making the father/
son scenes work despite that albatross he was saddled w/
playing his son.
5.)John Aniston- Like fine wine, he gets better with age.
His work is pure Chateau Lafite. His performance is proof
positive that you don’t need to puff up your chest or turn
your eyes into Niagara Falls to display deep emotion. Less
is more and Aniston did it w/ a slam dunk.April 19, 2017 at 2:14 am #1202070561
If Jeffrey Vincent Parise wins I will vomit! Sorry, but NO WAY IN HELL does he deserve an Emmy award!
1. John Aniston. Victor is da bomb! He does wonderful work in these scenes and connects with me the most.
2. Steve Burton. I suspect he will win. I have always found him a bit wooden but he does a good job of bringing out Dylan’s emotions in these scenes.
3. Chad Duell. he’s always such a pleasure to watch!
4. James Reynolds. Again, always a pleasure, but I don’t really get his nomination for these pleasant but fairly average scenes?
5. Jeffrey Vincent Parise. Over-acting, annoying, nauseating – I really do not like this actor’s work! Atrocious!April 22, 2017 at 12:43 am #1202073319
1. Steve Burton ( who the hell else would I choose the reel was phenomenal especially him having to give Sully to Nick heartbreaking)
2. John Aniston ( the scenes with Deimos were super n the scenes with Maggie were very sentimental)
3. Chad Duell (Michael losing Morgan and Sabrina killed me but he showed no kind of reel range or emotion to me )
4. James Reynolds( I loved it but the only scene I liked is the one with Abe and Theo)
5. Jeffrey Parisse ( this reminds me if Maura West’s reel from last year. It makes no sense but it’s great though the double role effect never works for GH)April 22, 2017 at 11:47 pm #1202073853
Really hard to choose between the top two here, almost interchangeable.
1. Steve Burton
2. Chad Duell
3. James Reynolds
4. Jeffrey Vincent Parise
5. John AnistonApril 23, 2017 at 6:49 pm #1202074431
5. ReynoldsApril 25, 2017 at 7:44 am #1202075841