July 17, 2017 at 9:32 am #1202155161
It’s come up a few times, but I figured Ron Carlivati’s first episode as head writer, airing July 19, would be a good place to start a new DAYS thread to replace the old one, which I believe is the only thread migrated from the old site that’s still active.
In the meantime, we can use this thread to speculate, discuss our greatest hopes and deep-seated concerns, throw out story ideas, etc.
I read the interview Soap Opera Digest did with Ron in this week’s issue, and there were a few interesting takeaways for me.
1. Ron was very open about not really being familiar with the history of the show. He’s clearly put in a lot of time getting himself caught up, and he’s surrounded by people who do (or should) know the history of the show, so hopefully this will be fine. Given some of the oversights and blunders the show has been making lately, it may actually be helpful having others be more alert that they may need to keep an eye out for continuity errors and things.
2. Ron said that while characters will be returning over the course of the next few months, he isn’t bringing in any new characters until around the end of the year, which I think is a great move. The show has so many characters already, and bringing on new ones would only necessitate getting rid of existing characters, which, as much as I’d like to get rid of Dario ASAP, really should not be a priority for an incoming head writer who hasn’t had much time with the canvas.
3. This has come up before, but Ron changed the outcome of the Deimos murder mystery. He said the original killer was satisfying and made sense (which seems like enough — it’s very rare nowadays for a soap murder mystery to hit the trifecta of making sense, having a satisfying culprit, and the victim actually being dead), but he proposed a change to play the story out a little longer and give the murder longer-lasting effects and repercussions for core characters. I’m eager to see this play out and to know how the story was originally intended to end.
4. Like many incoming head writers, Ron wants to focus on writing for the vets (within the overall scope of a balanced, multigenerational show). But with DAYS current roster, the real question is which vets are we talking about. Of characters on the canvas, he has specifically mentioned Marlena, John, Kayla, Patch, Hope, Andre, The DiMeras, The Kirakises, and Lucas in this context. I wonder who can expect decent screentime among the vets he didn’t mention: Julie, Doug, Jennifer, Roman, Adrienne, Abe . . . assuming that Kate falls under the DiMera umbrella and Maggie and Justin fall under the Kiriakises along with Victor.
Overall, I’m very excited to see what Ron brings, along with Sheri Thomas Anderson (whose input I think will be invaluable) and Ryan Quan (who can hopefully keep the history straight for Ron and co).July 18, 2017 at 5:55 pm #1202156670
I am looking forward to Ron Carlivati’s writing – yes, his work on GH was mixed but much of the problem was the constant emphasis on Sonny and his orbit, which harms that show immeasurably imo. If RC can write as well as he did with OLTL I think the show will improve and become much more watchable and enjoyable.
I am most looking forward to returns – Eve, Will, Sami, Kristen and/or Susan…
I hope RC didn’t replace a satisfying denouement – Dario – with some other ending for who killed Deimos.
I hope he writes for Adrienne and Lucas.
Freddie Smith is the best male crier on daytime (;July 19, 2017 at 7:46 am #1202157470
I’m already intrigued. The ending of yesterday’s show with Angelica and Marlena was quite a surprise, and with apparently Hattie and Bonnie both showing up fairly soon, I can only imagine what shenanigans will unfold. I’m also eager see how Xander is involved with the murder, whether he is now or was somehow before the intended murderer. It was funny to see him the other day in his cell reading, rather studiously, his issue of Busty Broads Monthly (I laugh every time they say that name).July 20, 2017 at 5:21 am #1202159440
I love that we got Marlena’s doppelganger on Ron’s very 1st episode. And Adrienne’s doppelganger is on her way any day now. And neither is a rewrite or ret-con, they’re both already a well established part of DAYS history. This might just be the most perfect match of head writer and show ever! And finally Diedre Hall has something to do. Those scenes were fun.
July 20, 2017 at 8:38 am #1202159632
- This reply was modified 2 days, 7 hours ago by OLTLfan.
It was a fun first episode for sure. I loved loved Deidre Hall as Hattie in the scenes with Angelica. The first scene was pitch perfect, where you could tell it was Hattie and not Marlena, but it was fairly subtle (at first). The return of Bonnie will be fun, and interesting. I always liked Bonnie, and the character is a great contrast to Adrienne, which is funny because they were never played as dual roles. The year Judi Evans was Emmy nominated for both roles, she played them totally separately, and other than a wink or a nod, I don’t think the show has ever even acknowledged a resemblance between Adrienne and Bonnie. I’ve gotten doppelganger fatigue over the years, but I’m happy to go with these stories, since they look like they’re being played as more fun than serious.
Things also got ugly very quickly between Lucas and Justin — who basically went right back to where they were six months ago, which makes sense — and Abigail and Dario. It seemed like Jordi Vilasuso had been playing Dario as something like a lovelorn anti-hero, until yesterday when he realizes he was a villain.July 20, 2017 at 9:46 am #1202159663
Hattie is such a hoot!!!! I LOVE it when Deidre is playing both roles!
and I am in heaven with the knowledge that Judi will be playing both Adrienne and Bonnie!!!! (:
Perhaps Jordi realizes that there is more of a future for a lovelorn anti-hero than for a villain! (;
I will feel cheated if Chandler comes back as someone other than Will. The way I would write it is that Stefano replaced the real Will with the cheating Will (Guy Wilson’s Will, to put it bluntly!) in order to get revenge on Sami and Marlena, etc. This would work for me. Anything to get my Will and Sonny back!!!! (;
I am now looking forward to Days once again! Let the good times roll!July 21, 2017 at 10:57 am #1202160849
I certainly want Chandler Massey to be Will and not someone else, and I’m hoping the talk about the other possibilities is just part of the game. They could play this the way DAYS did when Kristian Alfonso came back to the show in 1994 after being killed off in an explosion on-screen in 1990, where she spent a while being Gina before being revealed as Hope. They actually did two resurrections on that one — not only was Hope not actually the person in the cage, but it turned out the person who was in cage, Greta, was also alive and, other than some light facial burns, in great shape physically. Her living arrangements in that swamp left something to be desired, though. Then they got the Princess Gina stuff out of it, so there’s a lot of mileage to be gained potentially from some ambiguity.
I’d enjoy seeing maybe some mystery surrounding if Chandler’s character is Will or just another person who looks like Will (it’s Doppelganger City right now in Salem — imagine if they also asked Josh Taylor to start playing Roman Brady AND Chris Kositcek!), but at the end of the day, I really want him to be Will!