very intresting! NATAS finally reinvents the rules for the 2012 Daytime Emmy Awards showdown!‏

Home // Forums // Daytime TV // very intresting! NATAS finally reinvents the rules for the 2012 Daytime Emmy Awards showdown!‏

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Rachel Avrami
    Topics:

AWARDS SHOW CENTRAL:
    Game of Thrones: NATAS finally reinvents the rules for the 2012 Daytime Emmy Awards showdown! Uncensored has the exclusive scoop!
    And the Emmy goes to… the most deserving actor and shows in daytime! What you talkin’ about, Nellie?

Yep, the elusive dream may actually become a reality next year. NATAS likes us; they really, really like us! Thanks to the tireless and brave efforts of actors like Y&R’s Michael Muhney, who boldly put a face on the fight for much-needed Emmy reform, NATAS listened and (re)acted in a big way!
    A National Academy of Arts and Sciences spokesperson exclusively confirmsSoap Opera Uncensored’s Emmy report in our first issue six weeks ago: a major overhaul has reinvented the award nomination process, along with introducing a proposed new category that will get the web soap community all lathered up. The changes have mostly been approved but will be integrated over the course of two years.

Below are the changes; read ‘em and rejoice:

• There is no limit to how many actors from one show can submit their name for Emmy consideration in the pre-nomination round in a category. For example, 10 actresses from General Hospital can submit themselves for Lead Actress contention. So, goodbye bloc voting! This also means that you could possibly have five GH actresses on the final ballot, too. But hey, if the five best actresses are from GH from this past year, that’s fair in my books. The alternative means members being forced to vote for actors due to the show they work on — and not talent.
    • Pre-nominee hopefuls will submit an edited two-minute reel of their best work from the calendar year from as many episodes as they choose! Goodbye, Emmy bait (ie. episodes specifically written for an actor or show to win the golden lady)!

• Judging pre-nominees hopefuls will be conducted online only on a NATAS website over 4 weeks instead of 2. Members of the Academy will choose their top 10 choices from 1 (being the best) to 10 — regardless of what show they are employed on. The catch? The ballot will not include names or pictures of the hopeful candidates. Anonymous live links to their work will only be shown. In other words, voters will have to click on each link to find out who they are voting for — and most importantly, view the candidate’s work. Translation: Blind voting for members’ friends or well-known names is seemingly over.

• An actor can still submit more than one role in the same category.

• The top 10 pre-nominees from each category will be announced on March 2, 2012.

• In the final round of judging, a blue ribbon panel will be chosen to judge each of the final pre-noms, who will submit one full episode on DVD from the calendar year. Next year, final pre-nominees will submit 15 minutes of work from as many episodes as they like and viewed online much like this year’s pre-nomination voting session. Why not this year? Blame All My Children!The venerable ABC sudser, which went off the air this past September, already submitted their Emmy reels in advance to the Academy. Since they were not made aware of the rule changes, a spokesperson explains, “We didn’t wantAMC to be put at an unfair advantage, so we’ll change the final nomination rules next year.”

• The biggest win? A guest star category will more than likely be re-introduced in 2013. Over the years, members have suspiciously voted against bringing back the guest star category; but with so many recurring statuses and/or stunt casting enveloping the daytime dial, the Academy is finally reflecting the changing daytime landscape. But again, why not this year? According to NATAS, each show needed more time to create a new system of “guest star billing” in their credits to qualify.

• Final nominees will be announced on May 4. The ceremony will take place sometime in June. And it looks “good” that they will air on broadcast television, shares the spokesperson. Moreover, he adds that a very cool plan to reinvent the ceremony may be in the works as well. Stay tuned.

• When Uncensored asked if dramatic web actors could submit themselves in the mainstream categories (Best Actress/Supporting Actor/Directing, etc.) — especially since the number of broadcast soaps have decreased significantly in recent years and the quality of acting online is as top drawer as on the tube — NATAS answered: “That’s a good question! There is nothing in the rules that prevents web actors from entering in the main broadcast categories!”

Ergo, Crystal Chappell could have legally submitted her work on Venice for Outstanding Lead Actress contention last year! Shut the front door! Hey, soapers: You really need to start reading the fine print like prime-time and film actors do.

“In our literature, we’re not allowed to discriminate against platforms, [so on paper that would be legal].” After the discussion, NATAS later informedUncensored that until they sort out this murky issue (after all, the broadcast soaps could revolt and simply refuse to vote for web stars), and barring any objections (at press time, it still needs to be passed by committee, but is expected to), NATAS has created a new category in the interim: Outstanding Performer (Male or Female) in a Special Class Format.

Next year, the Academy will vote if whether or not web soaps should compete in the mainstream categories. With One Life to Live seemingly headed online, I think it would be wise to open the mainstream categories to this fledgling medium.

Rachel Avrami
    Topics:

i am not sure how i feel abaut thet, becuse i want them to see talent actor win not the ones who desreved thet, i want  good actors to win the emmy.  what do you guys think?? so the blind vote will be just in the pre nomnnie? or the final?

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s dissapointing that it took this long for it to happen, but all of this sounds promising. Especially not having to limit the actors submissions to one episode going into 2013. For this medium, it works better to have a reel highlighting the strong acting one did in the calendar year. Though, and our old school peeps like Berlin and DS016 can help out, back in the day couldn’t one submit multiple episodes? 

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

eastwest,

I started watching the Daytime Emmys in 1985. They were broadcast on CBS on Aug. 1, 1985. The younger-acting awards were introduced (“Juvenile,” for males; “Ingenue,” for females) that year, and Kim Zimmer not only won her first Emmy for Guiding Light but also became the first-ever winner from CBS in the lead-actress race (which would not be won again by anyone but Zimmer until 12 years later, as The Young and the Restless‘ Jess Walton topped frontrunner Genie Francis of General Hospital).

After Soap Opera Weekly was launched in November 1989, their staff began with the 1989-90 Daytime Emmys with using the nominating ballot and telling us their votes (for nomination). An in-house thing. Never, though, did we get to see the list. Perhaps they weren’t allowed (agreement with the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences), or the listing for the six acting categories would have taken up too much room (editorial decision). In fact, I never came across any list until the Pre-Noms system was implemented beginning with the 2002-03 Daytime Emmys. (By then, it was not an issue. Daytime Emmys needed to generate renewed interest.)

That’s what I can offer. BERLIN 2002 may be of more help. (What happened to him?)

(Side note: I am using a new laptop computer. Purchased today, Black Friday. My first notebook. Asus U46E. I’m in a period of adjustment; but I chose to get this because it was recommended by my nephew, who is great at computers. Plus, I wanted a laptop, with a setup for wireless, for flexibility.)              

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I hate to be a gloomy gus, but this almost sounds like a joke.  Barring any shocking turn of events, there will be only four broadcast soaps in a couple of months.  The online moves for One Life to Live and All My Children seem to not be happening.  The Daytime Emmys now are ready to stop being silly because of their processes?  Is it because they’re now silly because of the lack of soap operas?  I don’t know.  Putting that aside: The changes sound good.  I like the online voting where you have watch the clip before you vote for the person, or even know who the person is.  I’m don’t love the idea of shows submitting unlimited actors for consideration in whatever category, but it’s not the worst thing.  I just remember the days when Y&R would have half the nominations, not because they deserved them all but because they could submit so many actors and had a huge cast to support them.  The potential use of clips from any number of episodes sounds like a mixed blessing.  ANY actor could string together a few moments of strong work on a two-minute reel, so I could feel like things could become even more of a circus even with voters being forced to watch the clips.  But I’m excited to see how it works out.

ReplyCopy URL
    youngsoapfan
    Participant
    Topics:

i sense DAYS shunning will resume. it was a nice few years seeing them nominated while it lasted.

ReplyCopy URL
    scarlettortiz
    Topics:

i sense DAYS shunning will resume. it was a nice few years seeing them nominated while it lasted.

what do you mean??? you do see days get nominated??

well for me days hes few good actors and i want the emmy to see them.

ReplyCopy URL
    youngsoapfan
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”youngsoapfan”]i sense DAYS shunning will resume. it was a nice few years seeing them nominated while it lasted.

what do you mean??? you do see days get nominated??

well for me days hes few good actors and i want the emmy to see them.

[/quote]

what i mean is, with the old system, DAYS was shunned and pretty well shutout for almost 2 decades, and this system sounds a lot like how the old system was, it might stand a better chance with fewer shows now, but they’ll probably reduce the amount of nominess, it’ll likely go back to getting maybe a bone thrown at them, or just a few noms in the technical arts categories. i hope i am wrong….but i doubt it.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure how good these specific changes are. 2-minute reels of work throughout the year. I can’t imagine getting the emotional thrust of a single scene in 2 minutes, let alone multiple scenes edited together. And 15 minutes of the same after the pre-nom round might just end up with a lot of crying and screaming scenes stitched together that don’t make sense out of context. Fingers crossed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

IMHO this is too little, too late.   With half the soaps (literally) off the air already what’s the point now? This should have been done 5 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: very intresting! NATAS finally reinvents the rules for the 2012 Daytime Emmy Awards showdown!‏

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.