April 3, 2018 at 5:52 am #1202523453
One is superb, three are generally excellent, and one is awful:
1. Casey Moss as J.J., Days Of our Lives (15:30)
Superb, stunning, give him the Emmy! J.J. tells Hope what happened the night Theo was shot, flashbacks. Jennifer and J.j. at Horton Square, he feels guilty. Suicide letter to Theo, flashback to what happened with Teho’s shooting, this time with sound. Short scene at Christmas wordless J.J. seeing Theo’s picture. Talks to Jennifer on the phone, tearjerker. He is going to kill himself. Gabi shows up, talks him out of it. Ari’s Christmas card. I was in tears at the end of his reel. Superb, stunning, Emmy-worthy. Bravo!
2. Rome Flynn as Zende, The Bold and the Beautiful (10:44)
Although he lacks variety I was surprised by how much I enjoyed his reel. Strong and sturdy work. Zende wants Lizzie to stay with Maya and Rick but will support Nicole no matter what. He gives an excellent monologue in the third scene which is his standout; very well played. I don’t like Zende very much and was surprised how much I liked his reel.
3. Lucas Adams as Tripp (15:05)
Another out of order reel. Starts with Kate and Tripp but skips the blackmail scene (?). Scene with Steve, Joey and Kayla when Tripp is angry about Ava’s death. Tripp mourns Ava, the standout scene in his reel. Tripp with Jade expalins his plan to setup Kayla. Tripp confronts Kayla. Tripp with Claire, comforting her after Theo has been shot is a weak ending to the reel.
4. Hudson West as Jake (11;41)
I don’t care for Jake but he is effective in his most of his scenes, but why does he have his best scene first and his worst scene last? He learns that Drew is his uncle, not his father. He is a good listener. Why do I not remember Drew trying to strangle Jake? Scene in park with Billy Miller (who is very good in these scenes). Ends with a whimper, Andre’s monologue with Jake just listening.
5. Tristan Lake Leabu as Reed (5:41)
Mercifully short, dull, why on earth was he nominated? Boring! Two scenes with melody Thomas Scott’s Nikki and one scene with Victoria and J.T. and Nikki. When I watch this ‘actor’ I keep in wishing they would replace him. I really disliked this reel.
So Casey Moss must win in this category or there is no justice!April 3, 2018 at 2:54 pm #1202523699
Best Young Actor Impressions
1. Casey Moss: HE IS THE WINNER. If he doesn’t win something is wrong somewhere. This reel was poignant and powerful. He’s one of the best actors I’ve seen in quite sometime in daytime. Great stuff.
2. Rome Flynn: Good reel, won’t beat Moss though. Really was strong towards the end when Zende talked about being adopted by the Forresters.
3. Hudson West: Cute kid and decent reel. Had a lot of airtime in 2017 and for his age he handled the material well.
4. Lucas Adams: Ok who the hell put together he and Olivia’s reels and why are they out of sequence. Like cmon Days do better by your performers. Nevertheless I like Adams as an young actor but the scenes out of order and it was confusing.
5. Tristan Leabu: Another decent one. He didn’t have enough flash seems like Melody, Amelia and Thad carried him through most of the scenes.April 3, 2018 at 4:31 pm #1202523715
I have no clue if Lebeu is a good actor because his reel is completely useless. MTS shines though.
For Adams, I liked the Kate scenes where he had an agenda the best. The rest of the scenes were from earlier in his run and he was a little shaky. Some of his emoting was off.
West started his reel with the exact scene I was hoping he’d submit with Billy Miller and Becky Herbst. He killed that crying scene and was effortless throughout the rest of the reel. He’s just a natural and would be a worthy winner.
Flynn delivers nice work throughout his reel and would also be a worthy winner.
But Moss submitted a truly perfect reel. He picked the perfect scenes from the perfect episodes. It’s beautifully written and impeccably acted. Just flawless. I genuinely believed he was suicidal in the Gabi scenes. The way he carried his body in those scenes was phenomenal. Moss should win hands down.April 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm #1202523818
Freeman’s analysis is spot on. My exact order. And why the hell is Adams’s reel out of order just like Lanier?April 3, 2018 at 9:50 pm #1202523858
FreemanGriffin great analysis
5. Tristan Lake Lebeu (Reed, y&r) it was ok but this was definitely Melody’s reel
4. Hudson West (Jake,GH) The first scene was good but the rest were ok. Billy Miller shined in all those scenes.
3. Lucas Adams (Tripp,Days) I will say this…Yes it’s out of order but I will also say that despite that it was a good reel. He had good range was the star of the reel and he didn’t get overshadowed by another actor. He owned this reel.
2. Rome Flynn (Zende,B&B) Every scene he picked was great. Him confronting Julius was golden. I also loved his last scene and his monologue to Nicole. If I had to go for a tie he would be one of the winners.
1. Casey Moss (JJ,Days) Who in their right mind would not put him at #1…An idiot. This tape told a story from beginning to end. He was good in every scene. I cried when he was telling Hope the details of the shooting. His suicide tape made me think he was suicidal. This tape was very believable. Moss is the winner hands down. If he doesn’t win it’ll go to Flynn.April 3, 2018 at 11:14 pm #1202523873
Hudson West’s reel is also out of order, besides Lucas Adams and Olivia Rose Keegan’s reels. Chloe Lanier’s reel is in chronological order.
I will be upset if Casey Moss doesn’t win and I am definitely predicting him.April 4, 2018 at 9:42 am #1202524073
Overall, these were great! I usually expect this category to have a few duds, but even the worst one was okay to me.
Tristan Lake Leabu seems out of his depth competing with the others in this category. I feel like I saw him give stronger performances just on the show in my sporadic viewing, and these scenes felt light. Still, he does fine with them.
The other three guys who aren’t Casey Moss all had good reels overall with some strong moments. I’m trying not to get obsessed with this in all the reels, but Lucas Adams’s scene were, like Olivia Rose Keegan’s, in such a weird order. I don’t understand why the reel starts with those two scenes with Kate and then ends with the scene with Claire that chronologically occurred between them. In any event, he’s strong throughout the reel, and the standout segment is Tripp wanting to connect with his father Steve but not being able to get past Steve having apparently killed his mother. I’m glad he avoided the scenes where Tripp is holding Kayla at knifepoint (or I guess scalpelpoint) that came later in that revenge storyline. I didn’t realize Rome Flynn was also (like Reign Edwards) submitting all scenes from that story of Nicole wanting to take Lizzie back from Maya and Rick, but his played so much better. His acting throughout was effective and completely natural, and I liked seeing Zende being tender in disagreeing with Nicole but also supportive, and then being protective of both her and Maya in dealing with Julius. He contrasts well against Obba Babatunde’s more Shondaland-esque style of delivery to ground a story that needed it. Having barely watched GH last year, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Hudson West, and was really impressed with him in the first segment of his reel, where Jake reacts to the news that Drew is not Jason and thus not his biological father. He has great emotion there. Most of the rest of the reel is people helping Jake through the trauma of being held on Cassadine Island, and he’s solid in those scenes as well, though he is mostly reactionary. And again, I was annoyed by the order, but at least I got it, because the first segment was the strongest. These three guys are all pretty close for me.
But the standout and clear winner, and I would have expected, is Casey Moss, who is devastating in his reel. The selection of episodes tells the story really well, as you see the beginning of JJ’s despair before it snowballs into depression and attempted suicide. I was moved right from the beginning and crying the whole reel — I’m sure part of this was remembering the story from watching it the first time, but everything about Moss’s performance took me right back there. The phone conversation JJ has with Jennifer on Christmas Eve is especially heartbreaking, but Moss is fantastic in really every moment of this reel.
1. Casey Moss, DAYS
2. Hudson West, GH
3. Rome Flynn, B&B
4. Lucas Adams, DAYS
5. Tristan Lake Leabu, Y&RApril 4, 2018 at 7:00 pm #1202524336
1. Rome Flynn – convincing acting
2. Casey Moss – great storyline
3. Hudson West – cutie patootey
4. Lucas Adams
5. Tristan Lake LeabuApril 8, 2018 at 12:39 pm #1202525984
When Rome Flynn was on B&B, I liked the character of Zende. I was sorry to see the character (and his portrayer) go. Flynn grew a lot as an actor while on B&B, as is evident in this reel. Overall, I felt that the reel played well, both in terms of the writing and Flynn’s performance. However, I do not see it as a winning reel.
Hudson West’s reel was interesting to me because I really do not watch GH anymore. The scenes on the reel reminded me of an eerie, edgy indie suspense movie rather than GH — not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s always difficult to evaluate a child actor amidst a sea of adults, but I found his reel convincing.
Casey Moss’s reel had it all. A very powerful story that played out quite well in the reel, buttressed by a believable and moving performance by Moss. It is difficult to imagine this reel losing.
However, Lucas Adams also had a strong reel. I found his performance very convincing, but the reel was out of order and the storytelling was not as powerful. Given the right material, I can see him winning in the future.
Tristan Lake Leabu’s reel lacked substance. I have no issue with his acting, but he’s basically been written as a petulant teen, with limited development and limited air time.
1. Casey Moss
2. Lucas Adams
3. Rome Flynn
4. Hudson West
5. Tristan Lake LeabuApril 9, 2018 at 3:31 pm #1202526888
There is no doubt..Moss wins this in an absolute cake walk.
1) Moss (DAYS)
2) Flynn (B&B)
3) Adams (DAYS)
4) West (GH)
5) Leabu (Y&R)
Leabu was terrible..how did he get a nomination?April 10, 2018 at 4:25 am #1202527247
Deniece Williams said it best when she sang ” Let’s Hear It For The Boys! “. Well four of the boys at least.
5.) Tristan Lake Leabu – Y & R. WTF is this nomination all about? Truly a filler nominee. He didn’t bother to submit a reel and I’m not going to bother to comment.
4.) Rome Flynn – B & B . Does some really nice, substantial work.
He’s Handsome and a very good actor but I really didn’t remember his work when mixed in w/ the other nominees.
3.) Lucas Adams – DOOL . See my analysis for Rome Fylnn. It applies here as well.
2.) Hudson West – GH . Does this kid see dead people? Kids his age on soaps are normally required to be nothing more than cute,happy & obnoxiously obedient set pieces. But young willd, wild West was required to be anything but. He handled a dark and complicated storyline far beyond his years. This kid is not just mimicking some action or emotion he was taught off camera, he’s actually living it and totally present in every scene of his reel.Bravura performance.
1.) Casey Moss – DOOL. I suspect that if his reel had been released as a feature film, Casey Moss would win an Oscar, but he’ll have to settle for an Emmy. HOT DAMN! What a performance! What a terrific submission. His co-workers and fellow nominees should be asking him ” Where will you keep your Emmy? “