14 Incredible Stats, Records & Facts About 2014 Oscar Contenders

Home // Forums // Movies // 14 Incredible Stats, Records & Facts About 2014 Oscar Contenders

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We have compiled 14 records, stats or facts about this year’s Oscar contenders. Some fascinating info in here…

http://www.goldderby.com/news/8216/oscars-nominations-trivia-predictions-facts-figures-entertainment-13579086-story.html

Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice!  A few nitpicks:

You mention that Amy Adams might tie Close and Ritter as going 0-for-6, but neglect to mention Deborah Kerr, who also went winless (except for her honorary award) with 6 nominations.

Also, you mention that only two Best Picture winners have not been nominated in a Screenplay category in the last 60 years.  Not true.  HAMLET was not nominated either.  And you should change that to “Writing category”, because THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH was not nominated for Screenplay either, just Story.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Another fun stat:  If GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL gets nominated for Best Picture, its 14 Oscar nominees in its cast will be a record (tying HOW THE WEST WAS WON).

BUDAPEST: F. Murray Abraham, Bob Balaban, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Ralph Fiennes, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Fisher Stevens, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, Owen Wilson

WEST: Carroll Baker, Walter Brennan, Lee J. Cobb, Henry Fonda, Carolyn Jones, Karl Malden, Raymond Massey, Agnes Moorehead, Gregory Peck, Thelma Ritter, Russ Tamblyn, Spencer Tracy, John Wayne, Richard Widmark 

Note that the Oscar nods for Robert Preston and Debbie Reynolds were after HTWWW was released.  Similarly, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS has since amassed as many nominees in its cast, but the year it got nominated, several of its stars and cameos (including David Niven and Shirley MacLaine) had not yet gotten Academy notice.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, you mention that only two Best Picture winners have not been nominated in a Screenplay category in the last 60 years.  Not true.  HAMLET was not nominated either.  And you should change that to “Writing category”, because THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH was not nominated for Screenplay either, just Story.  

Wouldn’t it still be true then? Hamlet came out about 66 years ago, and Greatest Show on Earth 62 years. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s the film with the most Oscar winners in, and is a Best Picture nominee itself? But the winners won before the film was nominated? If that makes sense?

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

All four acting frontrunners are playing fictional characters. It’s been a long time since that’s happened.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s the film with the most Oscar winners in, and is a Best Picture nominee itself? But the winners won before the film was nominated? If that makes sense?

Ooooohhhh fascinating question and quite the challenge

It is difficult to find a film like that, because doing some research for you, I discovered that many BP nominees had Oscar-winners in their cast, but that number is always exactly 3. I had to go back to 1991 to find a film that beats that number – JFK which had Kevin Costner, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Sissy Spacek and Joe Pesci, along with future Oscar-winner Tommy Lee Jones.  

I’ll do a bit more digging for you  

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Filmatelist”]

Wouldn’t it still be true then? Hamlet came out about 66 years ago, and Greatest Show on Earth 62 years. [/quote]

Whoop!  You’re right!  Didn’t carry the one, I guess.   😉 

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS had 5 Oscar winners in it already when it was released (Charles Coburn, Ronald Colman, Noel Coward, Victor McLaglen, Frank Sinatra), which ties it with JFK.

Ditto HOW THE WEST WAS WON: Walter Brennan, Karl Malden, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”agloster94″]What’s the film with the most Oscar winners in, and is a Best Picture nominee itself? But the winners won before the film was nominated? If that makes sense?

Ooooohhhh fascinating question and quite the challenge

It is difficult to find a film like that, because doing some research for you, I discovered that many BP nominees had Oscar-winners in their cast, but that number is always exactly 3. I had to go back to 1991 to find a film that beats that number – JFK which had Kevin Costner, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Sissy Spacek and Joe Pesci, along with future Oscar-winner Tommy Lee Jones.  

I’ll do a bit more digging for you  [/quote]

Yeah, I know there were three last year for American Hustle (Bale, De Niro & Lawrence), but couldn’t off the top of my head think of any with four. 
    I didn’t think anyone would be arsed about finding it out – haha! I was just wondering off the back of the stat about how many Oscar nominees are in Grand Budapest Hotel. 

[quote=”agloster94″]What’s the film with the most Oscar winners in, and is a Best Picture nominee itself? But the winners won before the film was nominated? If that makes sense?

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS had 5 Oscar winners in it already when it was released (Charles Coburn, Ronald Colman, Noel Coward, Victor McLaglen, Frank Sinatra), which ties it with JFK.

Ditto HOW THE WEST WAS WON: Walter Brennan, Karl Malden, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy

[/quote]

I wonder if any film in the recent future could match, or top, that. But there aren’t an excess of true great ensemble films full of great actors anymore.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”EmmyFan123″]
    I wonder if any film in the recent future could match, or top, that. But there aren’t an excess of true great ensemble films full of great actors anymore.  

Films after JFK that were contenders:

THE PLAYER had 9 Oscar-winners in its cast when it came out (more have added to that list since)
    Branagh’s HAMLET had 6 at its release.
    NINE also had 6 winners.

While all got some major Academy love (Director, Screenplay and/or Acting nods), none was among their year’s final 5.

Also, the documentary LOOKING FOR RICHARD had 7 Oscar-winners in its cast.   

Curiously, the original MUPPET MOVIE also has 6 former winners, but only one is an acting winner.  The others run the gamut of writing, music, and honorary awards.  

And of course, GRAND BUDAPEST has 4 winners currently among its 14 nominees. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Just some stats on the Acting nominees regarding who are veterans at this and who are experiencing their first nominations:

PAST OSCAR WINNERS (4) – Marion Cotillard, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Duvall, Meryl Streep

PAST OSCAR NOMINEES (7) – Bradley Cooper, Julianne Moore, Edward Norton, Ethan Hawke, Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, Laura Dern

NEW OSCAR NOMINEES (9) – Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne, Benedict Cumberbatch, Steve Carell, Rosamund Pike, Felicity Jones, J.K. Simmons, Patricia Arquette, Emma Stone 

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Check out the new article on the home page with a whole bunch of new records, stats, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Films to get 2 Oscar nods, with one being Best Picture, in the last 50 years:

THE BLIND SIDE
    EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE
    FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL
    A SERIOUS MAN 

Updated nominations for director’s films

Clint Eastwood – 45
    Peter Jackson – 43
    David Fincher – 30
    Rob Marshall – 26
    Christopher Nolan – 26
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu – 21
    Paul Thomas Anderson – 19
    Mike Leigh – 18
    Bennett Miller – 16
    Wes Anderson – 13

Number of individual films nominated (as director)

Clint Eastwood – 14
    Peter Jackson – 9
    David Fincher – 7
    Mike Leigh, Christopher Nolan – 6

Edward Norton appears in BIRDMAN and BUDAPEST, which together earned 18 nominations today.  This exceeds all the nominations of all of Norton’s previous films combined.  

Update franchise nomination tallies

Middle Earth – 37
    Avengers – 6
    Apes – 4

The X-Men franchise received its first nomination on the 7th film in its series

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

Films to get 2 Oscar nods, with one being Best Picture, in the last 50 years:

THE BLIND SIDE
    EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE
    FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL
    A SERIOUS MAN

At least the second nomination for those films came in a major category (acting or screenplay) that’s – at least in theory – integral to a movie’s quality or success. 

“Selma” just made it in the big category and best song. I can’t decide whether that’s sad or hilarious. It’s certainly an oddity. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Reply To: 14 Incredible Stats, Records & Facts About 2014 Oscar Contenders

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.