Home Forums Movies 145 Contenders For Best Documentary Feature

145 Contenders For Best Documentary Feature

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

A whopping 145 films have been submitted for consideration in the Best Documentary Film, including some of the most celebrated and controversial documentaries of the year. Which ones do you hope become the semifinalists and the official nominees? https://www.oscars.org/news/145-documentary-features-submitted-2016-oscarr-race

Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Some very notable filmmakers have submitted entries this year, such as:

Ron Howard (The Beatles: Eight Days A Week–The Touring Years)
    Ken Burns (Defying The Nazis: The Sharps’ War)
    Jim Jarmusch (Gimme Danger)
    Werner Herzog (Into The Inferno and Lo And Behold: Reveries Of The Connected World)
    Ava DuVernay (13th)
    Terrence Malick (Voyage Of Time: The IMAX Experience)

And as usual, we have several of the documentary nominees from the Emmys in these entries as well, such as:

Everything Is Copy–Nora Ephron: Scripted And Unscripted
    Jim: The James Foley Story
    Mapplethorpe: Look At The Pictures
    O.J.: Made In America

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2016/international-documentary-association-nominations-2016-full-list-oscar/

Looks like three or four Oscar nominees will come from this list:
    “13th”
    “Cameraperson”
    “Fire at Sea”
    “I Am Not Your Negro”
    “O.J.: Made in America”
    “Weiner”

I’ve only seen Fire at Sea and Weiner and I really hope both of them get recognized.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll see what the documentary branch comes up with for the 15 semifinalists in December.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

All I care about is O.J. first getting in and then winning. I do admit it’ll be a tough road getting these lazy awards voters to watch the whole thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

All I care about is O.J. first getting in and then winning. I do admit it’ll be a tough road getting these lazy awards voters to watch the whole thing.

You don’t see it as a doc made for television? Its length required it to be broken down episodically. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to endure it in a theatrical setting. Which is the point of giving out these awards to productions designed and distributed for the theater.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? Have you seen Weiner? I am astonished the filmmakers had that level of access and were able to document such a disturbing series of events. It has my vote for the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

13th seems to be the frontrunner as of right now. Other possible films that I think could make the list of 15 semifinalists include Weiner, Before The Flood, Life, Animated, Gleason, and Tower

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

You don’t see it as a doc made for television? Its length required it to be broken down episodically. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to endure it in a theatrical setting. Which is the point of giving out these awards to productions designed and distributed for the theater.

It’s clearly meant to be watched as a whole movie, as the director has stated, and why it got a theatrical release. I myself watched it all at once. I’m always appalled when people use length as reason to complain. Yeah, it’s long, but it’s never unnecessary. There’s a certain ignorance on what cinema can be, and its possibilities. The greatest living documentarian arguably is Frederick Wiseman. His movies are almost always long. One of his latest masterpieces, At Berkeley, is 240 minutes long. No critic asked “is it for tv??”. Wiseman makes pure cinema. So does Lav Diaz. In case you don’t know him, let me explain: when one of his films is five hours long, that’s seen as a short Lav Diaz film. Again: pure cinema. When I hear that people are panicking because Scorsese is going to deliver a movie just under 180 minutes, and it’s OH SO LONG, I’m torn between cracking up or crying in hopelessness. If O.J. wins, not only will an extraordinary FILM have won, but the Academy will have validated once again a new possibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? Have you seen Weiner? I am astonished the filmmakers had that level of access and were able to document such a disturbing series of events. It has my vote for the Oscar.

Yeah I’ve seen it. It’s decent. It’s clever here and there. But no, it’s not the best documentary of 2016. In a way, it’s like Citizenfour — they got lucky to have that intriguing of a story falling on their lap; they were in the right place at the right time. But it’s too afraid to take it to next level. The criticism towards the media it raises is old and phony. Ironically, Weiner himself realizes when the filmmakers are doing the interviews wrong and tries to open their eyes, but they choose not to listen and keep repeating the mistakes. I do think it’ll be a strong contender because Weiner is once again back on the news, it’s easy to like and watch, and it’s ha-ha funny. Remember: the Academy said no to Joshua Oppenheimer’s bravura filmmaking TWICE. Don’t count on them to pick wisely.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

13th seems to be the frontrunner as of right now.

Maybe if they feel like they need to make up to Ava. But that movie… ugh. The more I think about it, the more I think it’s a cinematic disaster. It fails pathetically even in basic filmmaking details, like rhythm, and the writing structure is laughable. It would get a C- at best in a film school.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

If you really like documentaries, keep an eye on this film: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5474508/?ref_=m_nmfmd_dr_2 One of the great documentaries of the decade, should be getting a release date soon.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe if they feel like they need to make up to Ava. But that movie… ugh. The more I think about it, the more I think it’s a cinematic disaster. It fails pathetically even in basic filmmaking details, like rhythm, and the writing structure is laughable. It would get a C- at best in a film school.

It’s a documentary. The sole purpose of those things is to relay information. 13th is an essential piece of information.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s clearly meant to be watched as a whole movie, as the director has stated, and why it got a theatrical release. I myself watched it all at once. I’m always appalled when people use length as reason to complain. Yeah, it’s long, but it’s never unnecessary. There’s a certain ignorance on what cinema can be, and its possibilities. The greatest living documentarian arguably is Frederick Wiseman. His movies are almost always long. One of his latest masterpieces, At Berkeley, is 240 minutes long. No critic asked “is it for tv??”. Wiseman makes pure cinema. So does Lav Diaz. In case you don’t know him, let me explain: when one of his films is five hours long, that’s seen as a short Lav Diaz film. Again: pure cinema. When I hear that people are panicking because Scorsese is going to deliver a movie just under 180 minutes, and it’s OH SO LONG, I’m torn between cracking up or crying in hopelessness. If O.J. wins, not only will an extraordinary FILM have won, but the Academy will have validated once again a new possibility.

It got a theatrical release for Oscar consideration only. I don’t care about cinema as a gender nonconforming anything goes entity. Cronenberg is in the all timers club and his longest movies were always five minutes short of two hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a documentary. The sole purpose of those things is to relay information. 13th is an essential piece of information.

All that information could have been written in a New Yorker/NYT story. It barely honors cinema as medium. And the political implications (especially when she just couldn’t help doing that cheap Trump connection near the end) would make even Michael Moore embarrassed. At least Moore’s witty.

It got a theatrical release for Oscar consideration only.

Obviously. That’s the only reason a distributor would take a chance like that in America. Which is why it needs to change.

Cronenberg is in the all timers club and his longest movies were always five minutes short of two hours.

I’m not entirely sure how that’s an argument at all or a contradiction of what I said. But I do assure you would have preferred to have seen his cut of his own movies.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: 145 Contenders For Best Documentary Feature

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.