Home Forums Movies 1967 Acting Oscars

1967 Acting Oscars

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone know how the races were prior to the ceremony?

Were any of them surprises? Especially the supporting races. Were Kennedy and Parsons predicted?

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

In general, the perceived favorites going into Oscar night were Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night, with Tracy expected to garner the posthumous win in Lead Actor. In Lead Actress, Evans was by far the critics’ favorite, with little urgency to award Bancroft or Hepburn again, though the latter of course ended up winning. I don’t believe there was any favorite in the Supporting categories, though Richards may have had a slight advantage going in, given she appeared in two of the Best Picture nominees. Of course, Parsons ended up serving as a consolation prize for Bonnie & Clyde, a picture much of the old guard in Hollywood couldn’t stand.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Hepburn was deserving of her Oscar imo. I feel like Bancroft should have been in supporting. Her only competition was Dunaway.

I really think Dustin Hoffmann gave the best performance of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

That was one of the rarer times when Director (Mike Nichols) and BP split. The Graduate, is far more to my liking than In The Heat of The Night, although I am admittedly a huge fan of Norman Jewison…..partially because he’s CANADIAN. Lol.

George Kennedy wasn’t the runaway that year and it wasn’t until the 11th hour when his momentum began to rise. He lost the Globe to Sir Richard Attenborough.
    Same can be said for Estelle Parsons who lost the Globe that year to Carol Channing.
    Both of these Supporting were on a bit of a roll, which never hurts.

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I think “In the Heat of the Night” is a bit of a snooze with Rod Steiger mostly showing how to aggressively chew gum rather than any great acting ability. I much prefer Sidney Poitier in the same film.

If I was an Oscar voter in 1967 my slate would have split between “The Graduate” and “Bonnie & Clyde”. I would give “The Graduate” best picture, director, actor and actress and the supporting acting prizes to “Bonnie”. I also believe “Graduate” has a much better screenplay than “Heat of the Night”.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  pacinofan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess Steiger’s award was a makeup for losing for The Pawnbroker to Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou.

Did Mildred Natwick have a chance for Barefoot in the Park? She is so funny in that. Odd that she created the role on Broadway but didn’t get even get a Tony nomination yet she got an Oscar nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Barefoot in the Park wasn’t all that warmly received, so I don’t think Natwick had a real prayer. But I do think the category was a genuine jump ball. Richards was in two Best Picture nominees, Ross was a hot newcomer, Channing still had loads of buzz from Hello, Dolly and then there was Parsons, best-positioned to give Bonnie and Clyde an acting win.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 1967 Acting Oscars

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.