1976 Best Actress

Home // Forums // Movies // 1976 Best Actress

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

How do you think the votes went?

Faye Dunaway must have been a runaway winner (even though she acts so surprised when she wins).

I mean after Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown plus the acclaim of Network, I can’t imagine anyone else coming close.

But who do you thing was second, third etc.?

Liv Ullman was pretty acclaimed back then so I’m guessing she was second. (not sure if I’ve ever seen Face to Face. I kind of get it confused with Persona.)

Talia Shire third maybe? Or was it too small a part? Whoever put her in lead made a dumb move. I think she would have easily won supporting.

Sissy Spacek, fourth. (or do you think she’d be higher on the list) It is certainly the best remembered of all the performances but I’m not sure if they would reward a B horror movie back then. Piper Laurie was kind of a favorite to win but it didn’t happen.

Marie-Christine Barrault (not sure how she got nominated. Was there nobody else? Kind of an obscure choice and not particularly memorable) 

and also who got left out altogether? 

OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

and also who got left out altogether?

Audrey Hepburn in Robin and Marian.

I always thought Audrey Hepburn’s return to the screen after a nine year absence was a lovely performance. I did not understand why she was snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Why’d Hepburn leave film for 9 years? 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Why’d Hepburn leave film for 9 years? 

Following the birth of her second child, Hepburn resolved to be an active parent. She declined offers following her Oscar nominated performance in Wait Until Dark. Allegedly, she accepted the role of an aging Marian in the continuation of the story of Robin Hood to appear with Sean Connery. Hepburn’s two sons loved James Bond and were anxious to have their mother work with the icon.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

It was definitely Faye Dunaway’s turn, but IMO Ullman’s work in Face to Face is the best of the 70s and one of the gold standards of performance ever (even if the film isn’t Bergman’s strongest). 

I can’t think of any significant ommission. Maybe Babs was considered an oversight back then? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Considering her pain-in-the-ass reputation, Dunaway was no lock – her competition just wasn’t very formidable (I suspect both Louise Fletcher and Diane Keaton could’ve beaten her), plus the Academy ate up the acting in “Network.” I suspect you’re spot-on on the order, Robert, and yes, Shire would’ve won Supporting.

If I’m not mistaken, Glenda Jackson (for “The Incredible Sarah”) was expected to get in. Barrault and, to a little lesser extent, Spacek were surprises.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Spacek is perhaps one of my favorite nominees ever in this category.   A much deserved nomination for sure, but I cannot imagine a performance from a straight up blood drenched teenage horror movie like Carrie was ever getting an Oscar nomination today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, if I’m not mistaken, only Piper Laurie was expected to garner a nomination, and that was mostly because it was her first motion picture since “The Hustler.”

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

My choice :
    Liv Ullmann in Face to Face 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s Ulmann’s award, but Dunaway is so PERFECT that I can’t really complain, and yes, Ullmann was the RU.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: 1976 Best Actress

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.