Home Forums Movies 1978 Best Supporting Actress

1978 Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Who was the front runner? Was Maggie Smith a surprise? 

It was probably an irresistible opportunity to make fun of themselves by voting for an inside Oscar view like that BUT I’d have thought Maureen Stapleton would have had overdue factor.

Anyone remember?  

keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it was between Maureen Stapleton, Maggie Smith & Dyan Cannon.  Meryl Streep and Penelope Milford weren’t really a threat……..

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it was between Maureen Stapleton, Maggie Smith & Dyan Cannon.  Meryl Streep and Penelope Milford weren’t really a threat……..

Meryl Streep must have bee the terrifc ad beautiful young actress in a best picture winner and she had the NSFC Award. She couldn’t have been a filler. I’m not sure, but I somehow doubt it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep was close,  I think. And remember her part may SEEM small, but it’s a 3 hour film. The scenes she’s in she nails. But I was happy Smith won- such a fun and witty performance, and great chemistry with Michael Caine.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep was a relative ‘unknown’ then, and what an impression she made! A wonderful, understated performance (remember those subtler days Meryl?)

Looking at that nomination list, it’s not so surprising Dame Maggie won. With Jane Fonda winning Lead for Coming Home, it’s behooves them to skip to Smith (I agree with Jason on her perf and win) and honour that wonderfully witty and poignant film.

My hunch is that Stapleton was marginally favoured for the win that year. They made things up to her a few years later and gave her the (deserved and worthy) win for Reds.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.