Home Forums Movies 1994 Best Supporting Actress Race

1994 Best Supporting Actress Race

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • joesilver
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think most of the nominees for Best Supporting Actress of 1994 were unexpected? With the exception of the obvious winner Dianne Wiest and Uma Thurman the other nominees weren’t even nominated for the Golden Globe, SAG or BAFTA while actresses like Jamie Lee Curtis and Robin Wright were nominated for both the Golden Globes and SAG Awards.

Academy  Award:
    Dianne Wiest    (Bullets over Broadway)  –  WINNER
    Rosemary Harris    (Tom & Viv)
    Helen Mirren    (The Madness of King George)
    Uma Thurman    (Pulp Fiction)
    Jennifer Tilly    (Bullets over Broadway)

Golden Globes nominees:
    Dianne Wiest  (Bullets Over Broadway)
    Kirsten Dunst    (Interview with the Vampire)
    Sophia Loren    (Prêt-à-Porter)
    Uma Thurman  (Pulp Fiction)
    Robin Wright    (Forrest Gump)

Note: Jamie Lee Curtis was nominated at the GG in the Lead actress category (comedy or musical).

SAG nominees:
    Dianne Wiest (Bullets Over Broadway)
    Jamie Lee Curtis    (True Lies)
    Sally Field    (Forrest Gump)
    Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction)
    Robin Wright    (Forrest Gump)

BAFTA nominees:
    Kristin Scott Thomas    (Four Weddings and a Funeral)
    Charlotte Coleman    (Four Weddings and a Funeral)
    Sally Field    (Forrest Gump)
    Anjelica Huston    (Manhattan Murder Mystery)

Could you imagine a race like that these days where 3 of nominees for the Oscar didn’t get nominations for the GG, BAFTA or SAG awards? What happend that year in this category?

Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank the lord Jamie Lee Curtis didn’t get nominated here – that would have been massive category fraud. She rightfully won the lead Golden Globe.

Wright and Field are the only watchable parts of Forrest Gump. They should have been nominated.

Very surprising that BAFTA didn’t nominate Mirren, especially since at that time BAFTA was given out after the Oscars. Though they did have a hard-on for Four Weddings that year, so that makes it a little more understandable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I might change my mind and  I do enjoy watching some clips of her work, but I just didn’t find Wiest to be that great in her role-  I thought she was doing much of an imitation of Norma Desmond and it rang false to me, the opposite of her work in Hannah And Her Sisters,  a much better performance and film. I remember liking Tilly more,  but  I can barely  remember her.  Thurman is fine, but not Oscar worthy.  Haven’t seen the others. 

Kirsten Dunst,  Claire Danes,  and Trini Alvado should have been nominated for Little Women.   

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually Mirren was nominated to BAFTA, but for 1995 and in lead category. Lost to Thompson for Sense & Sensibility.

But I agree, it’s hard to imagine race like that today. It’s definitely easier to predict nominees these days, but it must have been much more fun to be awards fan when much more surprises were possible.  

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

My lineup from this year probably would’ve been almost identical to the Globes and SAGs:

Kirsten Dunst, Interview With The Vampire
    Sally Field, Forrest Gump
    Uma Thurman, Pulp Fiction
    Jennifer Tilly, Bullets Over Broadway
    Dianne Wiest, Bullets Over Broadway

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes they were all shocks except for Wiest and Thurman. I even remember Jennifer Tilly talking about how she watched the announcement and was stunned that the first two announced (Harris and Mirren) were people no one was predicting.

Tilly herself was a long shot and she campaigned and took out her own ads. (the studio was just pushing Wiest and Tracey Ullman initially)   

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say Kristen Scott Thomas is one of my favorite supporting actress performances from that year, so I’m glad she at least won something for it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 1994 Best Supporting Actress Race

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.