1995…

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
ETPhoneHome
Macbeth
Joe Burns
  • Ren4376
    Topics:

The most bizarre oscar year ever?

The Best picture/director race anyway, 

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

They got the lead acting races completely wrong IMO. Ian McKellen (Richard III) and Nicole Kidman (To Die For) should have won easily.  

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it is a unique year, but not especially for Picture. Braveheart was a big blockbuster epic that was right up the academy’s alley, even though it got no acting nominations. The things that stand out to me:

Three first-time nominees win acting awards.
    5 first-time nominees in the director category
    A movie about a talking pig beats a visually stunning space film
    None of the supporting actor OR supporting actress nominees had ever been nominated before
    A foreign language film gets five nominations including Picture, Director and Lead Actor but does NOT get nominated in Foreign language film.

I’m sure that unusual things happen every year, but I agree that this was especially strange.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the greatest movie of 1995, Toy Story, was severely snubbed for Picture and Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it is a unique year, but not especially for Picture. Braveheart was a big blockbuster epic that was right up the academy’s alley, even though it got no acting nominations. The things that stand out to me:

Three first-time nominees win acting awards.

First-timers win Oscars LIKE… EVERY YEAR!

1990: Kathy Bates, Jeremy Irons, Joe Pesci

1991: Anthony Hopkins, Mercedes Ruehl

1992: Emma Thompson, Marisa Tomei

1993: Anna Paquin

1994: NO FIRST-TIMERS

1995: Nicolas Cage, Mira Sorvino, Kevin Spacey

1996: Geoffrey Rush, Juliette Binoche, Cuba Gooding Junior

1997: Helen Hunt, Kim Basinger

1998: Gwyneth Paltrow, Roberto Benigni, James Coburn

1999: Hilary Swank, Angelina Jolie

2000: Marcia Gay Harden, Benicio del Toro

2001: Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Jennifer Connelly

2002: Adrien Brody, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chris Cooper

2003: Charlize Theron

2004: Jamie Foxx

2005: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Reese Witherspoon, George Clooney, Rachel Weisz

2006: Forest Whitaker, Jennifer Hudson

2007: Marion Cotillard, Tilda Swinton

2008: NO FIRST-TIMERS

2009: Sandra Bullock, Mo’Nique, Christoph Waltz

2010: Christian Bale

2011: Jean Dujardin, Octavia Spencer

2012: NO FIRST-TIMERS

2013: Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong’o

THE ONLY 4 FIRST TIMERS CLUB IS 2005 and they don’t have a photo together! what a shame!!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^Agreed, but I was just mentioning that as one of the things that I found significant. It does happen with some frequency, but as you showed, it is much more common to have, 2, 1 or none than to have 3 or even 4. I mentioned it as one of the significant elements, but not the most important.

With regards to Toy Story, I think it was fortunate to get a screenplay nomination. This was the first feature length Pixar film, and animation has always been ignored, despite the oft-referenced Beauty and the Beast. Pixar wasn’t capable of campaigning like Disney, and it only got in with an expanded field 13 years later. In director, there has still never been an animated nominee/winner, simply due to a bias against animated directors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

1995 is one of those years that just seems weird and this definitely isn’t the first case I have heard people refer to it as strange.

Braveheart is the typical epic the Academy likes but it didn’t have any serious awards traction aside from Mel Gibson’s Globe win….and then you had the Director snubs for Ron Howard and Ang Lee when many felt their films were the frontrunners.

Actor and Actress weren’t shocking…Supporting Actor was a tossup that I feel went to the right guy. Supporting Actress was interesting just because of the Academy’s normal aversion to comedy, but despite that, they love honoring Woody Allen females and it was a close race with Kate Winslet and Joan Allen at Mira Sorvino’s heels.

BABE also being as well received was surprising but it was a good film. 

This was also the year for me personally where I felt that most of my favorite films were shafted or not given enough like To Die For or The Usual Suspects 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Actor: Cage is a worthy winner, but I was hedging with Sean Penn that year.

Best Actress: I didnt care. They’re all great, although I probably wouldnt have voted for Sharon Stone

Supporting Actor: All worthy nominees. My personal favorite that year was Tim Roth.

Supporting Actress: I didnt have any problem with Sorvino’s win, a rare thing it seems. My choice was Mare Winningham, with a snowball’s chance in hades

I remember Braveheart slamming all others right by the end, despite all the naysayers that Braveheart didnt win this and Braveheart didnt win that. Lol. Really.  This was one of those years where Editing and Film split, going to Apollo 13.

Director? I was rooting for Chris Noonan, Love Babe. Noonan’s nomination was probably my favorite one.

Favorite wins: Restoration

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

7 of the 8 films with the most nominations all won at least one Oscar (NIXON being the odd man out) *plus* 3 additional films won double Oscars as well.  It’s hard to think of a recent year that was quite so share-the-wealth as that one.

TOY STORY was the first animated film to ever earn a Screenplay nomination (now, pretty ubiquitous with Pixar films).

4 actresses walked away with Oscars that year: Sarandon & Sorvino, plus Emma Thompson (screenplay) & Christine Lahti (short) 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Toy Story was robbed for Best Picture. If they wanted to go for one family film, this by far was superior to the god awful Babe. I found it quite interesting that all 4 acting awards went to performances in movies not nominated for Best Picture. If Ron Howard should have won once in his career for Best Director, it should have been here for Apollo 13. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Babe > Apollo 13

ReplyCopy URL
    Ren4376
    Topics:

Also, the most critically-lauded film of the year missed best picture: Leaving Las Vegas.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I found it quite interesting that all 4 acting awards went to performances in movies not nominated for Best Picture. 

This has only ever happened once before, in 1969:

John Wayne for True Grit

Maggie Smith for Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Gig Young for They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?

Goldie Hawn for Cactus Flower

Probably won’t ever happen again while they have the expanded field (films like They Shoot Horses and Leaving Las Vegas surely would’ve been nominees in a list of 9 or 10)

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture:  Never seen Braveheart,  but Dead Man Walking should have won  easily.   S

Best Director:     Robbins.  

Best Actor:  Cage is quite good, but I need to rewatch the film.  Penn is terrific,  Hopkins  is awful in an awful  film.   

Best Actress:  I’ve seen three of them and Sarandon easily deserved it with one of the best performances I’ve ever seen:  Such a powerful and  an emotionally honest performance, blew me away.  Shue is also amazing,   but not  up to Sarandon’s level.  Emma is good, but too underwhelming.  

Best  Supporting Actor:  Need to rewatch and see all of them again. 

Best Supporting Actress:  Need to rewatch Sorvino,  Winslet, and Quinlan.  Allen is good, but it’s just such a limited part, even if she does do  such wonderful,  subtle things with it.  Winningham is terrific and probably should have been in leading, but whatever.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: 1995…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.