Home Forums Movies 1996: Who Came In Second?

1996: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Continuing on! 

Best Picture:  I think Fargo came in second, even though some thought Shine was the spoiler that year (That movie is dreadful and I feel the Academy was going to honor it with Best Actor and nothing more).  But TEP was just too much in Oscar’s alley to lose.  Fargo, like Pulp Fiction before it, was too dark and quircky for the Oscars.  The other films had no chance. 

Best Director:  Joel Coen for Fargo. 

Best Actor: Billy Bob Thorton for sure.  he probably would have won if it hadn’t been for Rush. 

Best Actress: Brenda Blethyn was the closest throughout the awards season to McDormand and I think she was the closest to beating her. McDormand was giving a very popular performance of the only likeable character in her film and was also a way of honoring Fargo with another Oscar win.  

Best Supporting Actor:  It probabbly was about a tie between Edward Norton and William H. Macy.  I’d say Norton though given his globe win. 

Best Supporting Actress: Bacall definitely was second.  Still love watching the video of her losing! It’s almost as good as watching Jule Christie  11 years later,getting out her acceptance speech when the envelope was about to be announced and being like “WTF, MARION?!” and then quickly looking pleased as punch  for her. 

Best Orginal Screenplay:  Probably Jerry Maguire, given the fact that Leigh’s films are often improved,  which hurt Secrets And Lies here.  Fargo probably won in a strong majority though. 

Best Adapted Screenplay:  The English Patient no doubt was the runner up.  Billy was clearly too popular though to be overlooked this year though.  LOVE watching the video of him winning! 

Your thoughts?  

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Fargo
    Director: Coen
    Actor: Thornton. If he was popular enough to win screenplay over the BP winner then he’ll definitely have had plenty of support here, even if Rush was quite a way ahead in the end.
    Actress: Blethyn, as she’d won the Drama Globe and later won BAFTA (back then it was after the Oscar ceremony). I wonder where the brilliant Emily Watson ranked – hopefully 3rd. I know Oscar loved The English Patient and all, but who was voting for Kristin Scott Thomas when they had two stronger contenders also in popular films?
    Supporting Actor: Macy I think. His role was big (frankly it was category fraud) and he was in a strong BP contender. For me, he may be my personal winner for Lead Actor that year, he’s arguably even better than McDormand.
    Supporting Actress: Bacall. It would be slightly hilarious if vote tallies were released and we all discovered Binoche had won in a landslide. (It wouldn’t shock me that much, to be frank). Whatever the case, I can’t imagine the other three having the support to outdo Bacall, though all 3 of them were terrific. Hershey is my personal choice.
    Original Screenplay: Jerry Maguire
    Adapted Screenplay: The English Patient. I’m wondering, were the experts mostly predicting it to win or had Thornton already built a strong narrative by then? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Experts were betting on TEP, but Thorton’s popularity made him a possible spoiler, especialy since most were predicting Rush to triumph in Best Actor. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – Fargo or maybe Jerry Maguire (it had the studio).
    Best Directing – Joel Coen.
    Best Actor – Billy Bob Thornton or Tom Cruise.
    Best Actress – Brenda Blethyn. Watson’s SAG snub is telling.
    Best Supporting Actor – William H. Macy. Norton was snubbed by the SAG.
    Best Supporting Actress – Lauren Bacall but you can’t know for sure.
    Best Original Screenplay – Secrets and Lies.
    Best Adapted Screenplay – The English Patient. 

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – Fargo (while James L. Brooks is formidable, no Best Director nod for Jerry Maguire)
    Best Directing – Joel Coen for Fargo
    Best Actor –  Tom Cruise for Jerry Maguire (Billy Bob Thornton was honored in screenplay. I suspect that was considered sufficient. Sentiment was there for box office champ Tom Cruise who had been denied a presumed win for Born on the Fourth of July.)
    Best Actress – Diane Keaton for Marvin’s Room. (I suspect the members who voted for McFormand regretted being unable to support Blethyn and Watson. Thus, the remaining votes would go to someone different. Keaton was compelling. I remember Oprah devoted her Oscar episode to Keaton and announced that she voted for her. The only other time she did that in my recollection was for Crash.)
    Best Supporting Actor – William H. Macy for Fargo
    Best Supporting Actress – Lauren Bacall for The Mirror Has Two Faces
    Best Original Screenplay – Jerry Maguire
    Best Adapted Screenplay – The English Patient

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture – Fargo was second, Jerry Maguire third.

Director – Joel Coen would have been second based on his screenplay win.

Lead Actor – Tom Cruise due to the support of his film. Thornton would have been third but had the Screenplay win under his belt anyway.

Lead Actress – I think that it would have been Brenda Blethyn, her film had support and her performance was good.

Supporting Actor – this was William H. Macy’s Oscar. His role was big and he was quirky. Norton would have been third.

Adapted Screeplay – The English Patient due to its support across the board.

Original Screenplay – Secrets & Lies was second. This would have been their way to honour Mike Leigh.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Fargo
    Best Actor: Tom Cruise, Jerry Mcguire
    Best Actress: Brenda Blethyn, Secrets & Lies
    Best Supporting Actor: Edward Norton, Primal Fear
    Best Supporting Actress: Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Secrets & LIes

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 1996: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.