Home Forums Movies 1997: Who Came In Second?

1997: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Zooey the Dre..
babypook
MrGoodWood
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: I suspect that the growing Miramax machine helped Good Will Hunting come in second. L.A Confidential had it”s supporters, but it definitely wasn”t as beloved by the Academy as it was by the critics. Titanic won in a strong majority I imagine. As Good As It Gets came in 4th and The Full Monty came in 5th.

Best Director: Hmm, tricky. I think Hanson got more votes then Van Sant did, but Cameron clearly dominated this category.

Best Actor: Duvall with Fonda close behind. Both lost out due to Nicholson”s popularity as well as goodwill for As Good As It Gets.

Best Supporting Actor:
    Reynolds, Boogie Nights must have been too much for Oscar voters and Williams was just much more beloved then Reynolds is.

Best Actress: Hard to say, I think Dench was most likely second though: She only lost out due the fact that As Good As It Gets was extremely popular and Dench doesn”t have as much as screen time as her co star. Winslet and Bonham Carter most likely got some votes and Christie probably came in last.

Best Supporting Actress: Stuart- I”m guessing that voters wanted to spread the wealth in the acting categories this year by honoring other performances from the other Best Picture contenders. And Basinger was clearly well liked, although very undeserving. Moore was hurt by lack of love for Boogie Nights and Cusack and Driver were long shots.

Best Original Screenplay: As Good As It Gets- it would have won if there hadn”t been such a craze for Good Will Hunting. 

Best Adapted Screenplay: this was most likely a slam dunk for L.A Confidential, with The Sweet Hereafter in a distant second place.

What do you think?

Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Not long ago I was browsing old articles in the library and I came across a roundtable of directors from 1997 and PT Anderson said that he hopes the Titanic frenzy is over by the time the Oscars take place, so that the year’s best film – L.A. Confdential – wins the award it deserves. I was wayyy too young in 1998 to follow the race, but from what I’ve read, L.A. Confidential was the clear alternative to Titanic. It had the critical adoration and it swept the critics’ awards that year. Even Billy Crystal sang in the opening that it “could be the iceberg” that year. I believe that it was too acclaimed, too much of the great film everybody was aware of for it to finish third. Yes, Good Will Hunting must have been very popular, but rewarding Ben Affleck and Matt Damon must have been more than enough. Wasn’t the media pushing them and not the film as a whole?
    And when I look at picture, I always look at director, because it’s usually both. And Hanson must have been way ahead of Gus Van Sant in terms of support. L.A. Confidential is a showcase for its director. Good Will Hunting – not so much.
    Actor: Duvall.
    Actress: Judi Dench. Helena Bonahm Carter must have been way ahead of Winslet. Just look at her precursors’ wins. She must have been a force in December.
    Supporting Actor: Burt.
    Supporting Actress: Gloria Stuart. Third – probably Moore or Cusack.
    Original Screenplay: As Good As It Gets, but The Full Monty has too much support as well.
    Adapted Screenplay: I believe L.A. Confidential was unbeatabale.

L.A. Confidential probably was second in Cinematography, Editing as well. Maybe even Sound. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Burt was in the running, until he opened up his mouth and trashed his own film.

After Jack, the others all had a shot. Duvall tried too hard.

Helen, the only American in the field; after her, the others had a marginal shot.

They werent going to allow the critical darling, LA Confidential, win Screenplay without adding Kim. After her, Julianne, Gloria.

That was the year Damon humiliated Minnie Driver. Classy woman showed up, with her head held high.

After James, the runaway winner, Hanson was next.

That was the year they treated the fabulous cast of the wonderful Full Monty like second-class citizens at the Oscars. Embarassing.

After Titanic? LA Confidential.

Still puzzled over the love for Good Will Hunting, a borrowed, uninspired film. But great for Robin.

ETA:

Screenplays:

After LA.C,  Wag the Dog and the fabulous The Sweet Hereafter.

Right below GWH, As Good As It Gets, and Boogie Nights not far behind.

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: LA Confidential
    Director: Hanson
    Actor: Fonda
    Actress: Dench
    Supporting Actor: Reynolds
    Supporting Actress: Stuart
    Original Screeplay: As Good As It Gets
    Adapted Screenplay: The Wings of the Dove 

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

This one’s pretty easy…

“L.A. Confidential”
    Curtis Hanson
    Peter Fonda (with Robert Duvall a close third)
    Judi Dench
    Burt Reynolds
    Gloria Stuart (this one was probably a virtual tie)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: 1997: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.