Home Forums Movies 1999: Who Came In Second?

1999: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: The Cider House Rules, although this must have been sweet revenge for Dreamworks after losing to Shakespeare the year before. Miramax again campaigned aggressively for Cider House, but American Beauty’s early buzz and acclaim not to mention it’s precursor dominance, made it the easy winner IMO. I’d say that The Insider and The Sixth Sense were tied for third place and Green Mile was last.

Best Director: Here, I’d say Mendes won in a strong majority, with The Insider’s Michael Man and Sixth Sense’s Shyamalan in second and third place respectively, Hallstrom in 4th, and Jonze sadly last in 5th.

Best Actor: Washington, who must have barely lost, but The Hurricane’s lack of Oscar support, poor timing in regards to the voting (According to Tom’s book, “four-fifths of voters” didn’t receive the ballots in the mail on time, prompting the Academy to resend the ballots and “extend the deadline” to turn them in, merely days before Washington’s SAG loss to Spacey), and issues with the film’s historical accuracy caused him to lose. Crowe must have been a close third, Farsnsworth was fourth, and Penn was fifth.

Best Supporting Actor: Hmm, hard to say- Haley Joel Osment was very popular and according to Tom, a contender to win, but I don’t know- Duncan and Cruise seem to be stronger contenders given their precursor wins, even though Magnolia wasn’t the Academy’s cup of tea. I’d say it was Caine, Duncan, Osment, Cruise, and then Jude Law.

Best Actress: Benning of course- she came very close to winning, but I feel like she lost out due to the nature of her character(especially compared to the sympathetic nature of Brandon Teena) and Swank’s strong awards sweep that year- similar to what happened with Denzel losing to Afleck this year. Not to mention Beauty was going to be honored in other categories, so voters may have felt that passing her over here was nothing to doubt about.As for the rest of them, I’d say McTeer was third, Moore was fourth, and Streep was fifth.

Best Supporting Actress: Hmm, difficult to say. If pressed, I’d say Sevigny, but Keener and Collette could have picked up some votes too. Need to rewatch Collette and never seen Morton, but the other three are all fantastic!

Best Original Screenplay: Tricky, because Beauty was such a lock here, but I’ll say it went like this: 1. Beauty 2. Malkovich 3. The Sixth Sense 4. Magnolia 5. Topsy Turvey.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Oh, if only Election’s WGA upset victory could have been followed with an Oscar win here, but I digress. Anyway, it was clearly second, followed The Insider in third, The Green Mile fourth, and The Talented Mr. Ripley fifth.

Thoughts?

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh I hate The Cider House Rules. It probably was in second. And didn’t Denzel win the Globe for the Hurricane? I wouldn’t say he barely lost though he should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, he did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

Only in Gold Derby world will we see people call 50 to 2 award wins a close race. But do what you go to do to get over a loss.

Best Picture: Cider House Rules, though I think it’s really neck to neck with The Sixth Sense.

Best Director: Shyamalan.

Best Actor: Washington. Hurricane was completely dead after the controversy and lawsuits regarding the case and historical accuracy, so it’s not even close.

Best Actress: Benning.

Best Supporting Actor: Osment, his film has the biggest support outside Caine’s, and his film is an actual classic to casual moviegoers and performance having actual substance outside of looking cute.

Best Supporting Actress: Sevigny. Though I think theyre all really neck to neck. Surprisingly, None of them hit all the pre-cursors (BAFTA, CC, GG, SAG)

ReplyCopy URL
    BigJay2012
    Participant
    Topics:

That should have been Denzel’s THIRD Oscar

Glory
    Malcolm X
    The Hurricane

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

The Cider House Rules, Michael Mann, Denzel Washington, Annette Bening, Tom Cruise and, odd as it might sound, Toni Collette.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep – 1983 (Silkwood)

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Sixth Sense , Shamalan , Denzel , Annette (should have won) , Toni Collete and Tom Cruise or Michael Clarke Duncan

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eduardo Galhardo
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: The Sixth Sense

Best Director: Spike Jonze, Being John Malkovich

Best Actor: Russel Crowe, The Insider

Best Supporting Actor: Tom Cruise, Magnolia

Best Actress: Annette Bening, American Beauty

Best Supporting Actress: Catherine Keener, Being John Malkovich

Best Original Screenplay: Being John Malkovich

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Insider

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: 1999: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.