Home Forums Movies 2000 Academy Award Winners

2000 Academy Award Winners

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

This was an interesting year, with Traffic winning Editing and Director and Gladiator nabbing Best Picture. Gladiator also wins Visual Effects, with it’s ‘halo’ blur over those tiger pits, besting Hollow Man and The Perfect Storm. Of course, one thing about Ridley’s films, they are technical marvels of sound and visuals.
    Soderbergh snags two Director nods for vastly different films.
    Stephen Gaghan and Cameron Crowe wins the Screenplay Oscars.
    Crowe, Del Toro, Roberts and Harden snag the Acting Oscars.

Here’s the BP line-up:
    Chocolat: I love this film and the fabulous cast. Divisive opinion, regardless of Weinstein’s influence or no.
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: A masterpiece, with four wins including FLF
    Erin Brockovich: Entertaining, needed to be told, and a terrific Albert Finney
    Gladiator: Five wins, including Costume Design
    Traffic: Four high-profile wins

What do you guys think of this lineup and Oscar wins? And what films/actors do you feel should have been up there?

OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

Gladiator was a fine flick but not Best Picture worthy.

At the time, I thought Almost Famous should have taken its slot. With hindsight, I feel that more strongly. Cameron Crowe’s film captures an era with tremendous actors working at the top of their game, a rich script that tells a story well, and a sense of joy.

Don’t we all want to relive that moment of youth of freedom and yet belonging on the bus singing “Tiny Dancer”?

Of the films from 2000, this is the one I return to again and again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the Oscar nominees, I like Chocolat (!), Ridley Scott, Geoffrey Rush, Ellen Burstyn, Willem Dafoe and Marcia Gay Harden.

Beyond just the Oscar nominees, I like Requiem for a Dream, Darren Aronofsky, Mark Ruffalo, Ellen Burstyn, Willem Dafoe and Catherine Denueve.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1967) – Burt Bacharach vs. Baloo the Bear: The Ultimate Showdown

ReplyCopy URL
    bruce melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I could not believe it when Gladiator won Best Picture.
    The poorest film of the lot wins…oh well, it’s happened before.
    Replace Gladiator with Memento, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Castaway, Quills or even Snatch, and you would have an excellent top five.
    Tom Hanks should have won best actor, or Geoffrey Rush.

OK, I’m not a Gladiator fan

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the winners were pretty spot-on that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I could not believe it when Gladiator won Best Picture.
    The poorest film of the lot wins…oh well, it’s happened before.
    Replace Gladiator with Memento, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Castaway, Quills or even Snatch, and you would have an excellent top five.
    Tom Hanks should have won best actor, or Geoffrey Rush.

OK, I’m not a Gladiator fan

Really? I understand if you’re not a fan of the movie, but was Gladiator really the weakest of the bunch, not Chocolat? I think Gladiator was the best of the 5 nominees, with Erin Brokovich a close 2nd. And Memento wasn’t eligible that year, it was eligible in 2001 and got 2 nominations then, including Original Screenplay which it lost to Gosford Park.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Teridax.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Teridax.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Chatan
    Participant
    Topics:

Billy Elliot, Wonder Boys and Almost Famous. All these three would have been a nice replacement of Chocolat(which I loved but not BP worthy IMO).

Ed Harris was a nice surprise, a shock at the same time seeing Jamie Bell and Michael Douglas snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of the nominees…

Best Picture: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    Best Director: Ang Lee (Crouching Tiger)
    Best Actor: Tom Hanks (Cast Away)
    Best Actress: Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream)
    Best Supporting Actor: William Dafoe (Shadow of the Vampire)
    Best Supporting Actress: Kate Hudson (Almost Famous)

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Momento was eligible for 2001. So was In the Mood For Love, btw.

Looking back, this was a surprisingly solid year for movies, not as good as the year before or after it but still had a decent amount of very good, tonally diverse movies. Of course, that’s no where to be seen in the Oscar nominations. Almost Famous and Yi Yi remain two of my favorites of the millennium. Then there’s You Can Count On Me, Amores Perros (still that director’s best feature), High Fidelity, Requiem for A Dream, Nurse Betty, and I’ll take an Erin Brockovich over The Blind Side any day.

At the time I was a big fan of Traffic, and while I still like it (I assume I’d still put it in my top fifty of the 2000’s) a lot of it hasn’t aged well, particularly the drug addicted daughter plot. The material now feels better suited for a miniseries. So, out of the BP nominees ‘Crouching’ would be my favorite.

I’d rather sit through Chocolat again than Gladiator, and that’s the biggest compliment I can spare for either movie.

Director: Lee
    lead actress: Burstyn (But no, I don’t hate Roberts’ win)
    lead actor: Harris
    supporting actress: MacDormand
    supporting actor: del Toro (pretty sh*tty category)

My BP Nominees:
    Almost Famous
    Amores Perros
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    You Can Count On Me
    Yi Yi

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Carrie- Anne Moss would have made my lineup for Memento. Every time. I’m still not 100% sure why there was some sort of ‘controversy’ over her apparent “ineligibility”. As far as I can see, that wasn’t even true.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Soderbergh’s win is one of my favorite wins of all time. I also loved the Gay Harden upset. But Gladiator is a horrible movie and Julia is way overrated in that role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I still get annoyed over Soderbergh’s two nominations. It’s ridiculous. If he had made two masterpieces I’d get it, but he just flat out didn’t. They could have easily given the Erin Brockovich director nom to Cameron Crowe and no one would complain.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Directing – Ang Lee
    Actor – Ed Harris
    Actress – don’t care at all
    Supporting Actor – Willem Dafoe
    Supporting Actress – Frances McDormand (only because Marcia is a total category fraud)

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still a tad perplexed with Dafoe’s nomination. Yes he plays an icon. But to me he simply made some ‘stretchy’ faces. He did make me laugh, however. Thanks Dafoe.
    And Elwes loses his accent midway through the film. I have no issue with the Makeup nod but I’d rather have seen Malkovich there.
    I also would have loved to see CZJ in Supporting for Traffic, bump Marcia to Lead, where she is a better fit and where she would have had virtually no chance to win against Roberts, since it was her “time”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still a tad perplexed with Dafoe’s nomination. Yes he plays an icon. But to me he simply made some ‘stretchy’ faces. He did make me laugh, however. Thanks Dafoe.

Not sure how else Dafoe could’ve played it. That category is a pretty close call for me, though, between he and the scene-stealing Finney. Didn’t quite get the hype for Del Toro.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1967) – Burt Bacharach vs. Baloo the Bear: The Ultimate Showdown

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Reply To: 2000 Academy Award Winners

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.