Home Forums Movies 2002: Who Came In Second?

2002: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Now,this was already a post on here, but when I was looking at old posts of these threads, I saw that this one for some reason was mysteriously deleted. So,I’m just going to do a new one:

Best Picture: Obviously, The Pianist. Most pundits at that time thought Chicago was going to steamroll it’s competition, but that just wasn’t the case. I’m sure a lot of pundits expected it to win 8 or 9 Oscars(With Director and Song added to it’s other wins with half of the pundits betting on Renee), but it only taking home 6. The Pianist clearly came very close to winning, but Hollywood was rightfully impressed with Chicago and leftover love for Moulin Rouge as well as the movie musical comeback narrative helped it pull off the win. The Hours most likely was a distant third with it being the type of film that’s always nominated, but never wins as well as it being honored with Kidman’s Oscar win. Lord Of The Rings and Gangs Of New York pretty much had equal chances of not winning, although since most saw Rings as the better film, it was probably 4th.

Director: Marshall.The DGA win makes him a very close second.

Actor: Hard to say for sure, but I feel the presumed frontrunner Day-Lewis came in second. He most likely lost because his performance was perceived as over the top, lack of love for the film, and the fact that the film is an ensemble piece while all the other nominees were the true leads of their films. And Brody fills every frame of The Pianist, which we all know the Academy really liked. This is one example of the “slap the stud” scenario not happening. Nicholson was third- He had just won his third Oscar five years previously and his buzz had gone post nominations. Cage was fourth, Caine was fifth.

Supporting Actor: Walken, although it could have been Newman.

Actress: Zellweger, although I could see it possibly being Moore or Lane if more Oscar voters vote for the better performances then we think they do. Moore lost her early frontrunner status when Kidman won the Globe and Far From Heaven was snubbed for BP/Supporting Actor and Unfaithful’s bad reception sank Diane Lane. Hayek had no chance.

Supporting Actress: Hard to say, but Meryl most likely came in second. If not her, then Julianne, but her Far From The Heaven performance got more buzz. Bates and Latifah had no shot.

Original Screenplay: Far From Heaven.

Adapted Screenplay: Really close between The Hours and Adaptation. I’d say The Hours given it’s literary pedigree and because it was a Best Picture nominee.

What do you guys think?

RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you got everything right! I have nothing to ad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

The only things I’d change in Joe’s analysis are:

1. I suspect Gangs of New York did come 4th over The Two Towers; the latter did not receive directing or writing nominations, and I doubt there was much compulsion to vote for the second film in a trilogy, even if Gangs’s critical reception was more mixed.

2. Is it possible Ed Harris might have been 2nd for The Hours? Walken had won the SAG, but he already had an Oscar and the Academy didn’t much go for Catch Me If You Can. Harris was in a BP nominee, could’ve been considered overdue on his fourth nomination, and his role was quite baity in many ways. There was a huge disconnect between the Oscars and the guilds this year anyway.

3. I think Moore may have been second in supporting for The Hours; in fact, without Zeta-Jones (or if Zeta-Jones had gone lead like at the Globes) then Moore would’ve been the obvious winner, mirroring past double-nominees who won in supporting as a sort of consolation prize (Jessica Lange in ’82 being the most obvious example). Many feel Moore outperformed Kidman in The Hours, let alone in Far from Heaven. Personally I think Streep gives her best performance of the 21st Century in Adaptation, but I just feel Moore had more factors in her favour this year.

Also, it’s a little surprising to me that The Hours didn’t win screenplay. It had won the WGA award, and was far more ‘literate’ and dialogue-heavy than The Pianist’s much more sparse script. I guess it would’ve felt weird if a film won only Director and Actor, so those voting for The Pianist in those categories were tempted to round it off with a screenplay vote. It may have come close to pulling off an upset in Best Picture, so I guess a screenplay win makes sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to think Far From Heaven was runner-up in Original Screenplay but I bet both Greek Wedding and Gangs of New York were ahead, unfortunately. Otherwise, spot-on.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1989) – A Love Letter to Howard Ashman

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks everyone! I loved reading your thoughts!

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d like to think Far From Heaven was runner-up in Original Screenplay but I bet both Greek Wedding and Gangs of New York were ahead, unfortunately. Otherwise, spot-on.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1989) – A Love Letter to Howard Ashman

My Big Fat Greek Wedding, really? Maybe Gangs was 2nd, but it’s possible even Y Tu Mamá También was ahead of Greek Wedding (judging partly on the fact that Talk to Her won).

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Jack Nicholson campaigned for The Pianist. His endorsement secured wins for Actor and Director. The Polanski win is one of the greatest shockers in Oscar history.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.