Home Forums Movies 2004: Who Came In Second?

2004: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture:The Aviator most likely came in second, given it’s strong precursor dominance. It really is odd to look at the race that year precursor wise and realize Million Dollar Baby won Best Picture with only the DGA win, but The Aviator most likely suffered a backlash that year- I mean, Howard Hughes is so unlikeable! Sideways came in third place. 

Best Director:  Scorsese definitely- I think he came close to winning, but the Academy clearly loved Eastwood and wanted to give him another Directing Oscar. I think left over love for Mystic River also helped Eastwood triumph here. 

Best Actor: Hard to say- Foxx won in a strong majority I think, but Leo was probably second? I don’t think many marked Eastwood’s name here since they were voting for him in Director and Picture and neither Depp nor Cheadle had any buzz.  

Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church- Owen did win Globe and BAFTA, but that film clearly wasn’t beloved by the Academy. He also lost points due to the “Slap The Stud” syndrome even though he was only 40(He is gorgeous). Church gives a great performance, and he most likely only lost due to Freeman being so overdue and MDB’s late break momentum.

Best Actress: Staunton- Beinning’s film had zero suport in the Academy and Staunton’s film was able to be nominated for BD and most likely would have been nominated for Best Picture if there were ten nominees then. She was probably too much of an unknown to win and Swank was swept up in the love for MDB. 

Best Supporting Actress: Madsen. Her work was probably not showy enough to win over Blanchett, whose award was also somewhat of a makeup award for losing to GP 6 years earlier as well as being The Aviator’s only big win. Portman, like Owen, was hurt by lack of love for the film, as well her age. The Academy correctly assumed she’f have other chances.

Best Original Screenplay: The Incredibles. It has such a great script and The Aviator’s script wasn’t considered it’s strong suit.  Leigh, whose still overdue today, probably racked up some votes.  

Best Adapted Screenplay: MDB. Thank god the Academy liked Sideways enough to give it a deserving win here.  

What do you think?  

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with the OP except I do think The Aviator was probably runner-up for Original Screenplay, if not then Vera Drake. There is also a slight chance Sideways could have been 2nd for Best Picture considering that it beat the BP winner for Adapted Screenplay and inspired more passion than The Aviator, which members apparently seemed to be going out of their way to avoid voting for, even after it had won PGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I think Portman was a clear runner-up to Blanchett.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Aviator

Director: Scorsese

Actor: one of those years you can’t imagine people voting for anybody else (Theron, Blanchett’s second and so on). I suppose Eastwood was second 

Actress: I agree that Staunton was probably second. This is almost like Foxx, everybody probably voted for Swanl. Doesn’t really matter how many times we bring up the second Swank vs. Bening race, I don’t think Bening was actually in it for a movie very few people probably saw. Winslet could’ve had votes here too.

Sup Actress: definitely Portman. 

Sup Actor: Church, who should’ve won.  

Original Screenplay: with a Directing nod and a chance to finally reward him, I think Vera Drake and Leigh were second here. 

Adapted Screenplay: Million Dollar Baby 

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Aviator

Director: Martin S.

Actor: Leo (Jamie swept so this was hard)

Actress: Stauton (BAFTA win over Charlize Theron tour de force definitely put her in 2nd IMO)

Supporting Actor: Church (better than the winner)

Supporting Actress: Portman

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: I agree with everyone above. The Aviator was second and Sideways was third.

Director: it could have been Alexander Payne but this was most likely Martin Scorsese.

Actor: this was most likely Leonardo DiCaprio but I’m not so sure that this role was the one that the academy would want him to win for. Johnny Depp’s film was popular enough and he was coming off the success of Pirates of the Caribbean but again I don’t think the role was an academy award winning role. 

Actress: I’d like to say Kate Winslet but I think it was Imelda Staunton. She was fantastic in this film.

Supporting Actor: like everyone above I think it would be Thomas Haden Church.

Supporting Actress: even though posters above have mentioned the lack of love for Closer would influence this I don’t agree, films with one nomination for acting (even though Closer got two) can win and Natalie Portman was really good. 

Adapted Screenplay: judging by the wins in major categories it would have to have beenMillion Dollar Baby.

Original Screenplay: The Aviator seems like an obvious choice but I think it would have been Vera Drake. Mike Leigh had the directing nomination which would have helped and the script was very strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I just feel that Madsen was more beloved in a much more liked film  and Portman was so young at the time.  I guess we’ll never know. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I would think…

“The Aviator”
    Martin Scorsese
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Imelda Staunton
    Alan Alda (recall how hard he campaigned; I suspect the old-timers went for him)
    Virginia Madsen

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

The Aviator
    Martin Scorsese
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Imelda Staunton
    Clive Owen
    Natalie Portman

Owen and Portman seemed to have much more likeability(?) with the industry than the supporting actors from Sideways.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Ray
    Best Director: Martin Scorsese
    Best Actor: Don Cheadle
    Best Actress: Annette Bening
    Best Supporting Actor: Jamie Foxx
    Best Supporting Actress: Sophie Okonedo

ReplyCopy URL
    Emil Petrov
    Participant
    Topics:

The Aviator was not only the second movie but it was also a VERY CLOSE second. 

The movie was impressive with the precursors.
    PGA, ACE, HFPA, BAFTA
    It had 11 nominations and won 5 (the most for the night).

And it was a brilliant film. Amazing.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: 2004: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.