2005: Who Came In Second?

Home // Forums // Movies // 2005: Who Came In Second?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Brokeback clearly. It probably came fairly close in the voting, but lack of passion as well as homophobia kept it from winning. Crash is more dramatic, more powerful film that was surely more relatable to the L.A based Academy. Hard to say if Capote or Goodnight And Good Luck were third.  

Best Director: Haggis- Lee won in a strong majority I’d imagine. Clooney was definitely third here.  

Best Actor: Ledger, but I think Hoffman won by a strong majority, even though I know some predicted Ledger to win at the time. Ledger was most likely hurt by his age as well as his restrained performance.  Phoenix probably racked up some votes, but I think voters felt that honoring Witherspooon was enough to honor both performances and the film.

Best Supporting Actor: Giamitti, although I think he wasn’t as close to Clooney as you might think. Clooney was clearly loved by the Academy that year and he had to win somewhere. Cinderella Man was such a flop and Giamitti isn’t nearly as liked as Clooney or he probably would have been nominated for Sideways the year previously. Dillon and Gyllenhaal  probably tied for third place. 

Best Actress: Huffman, although she was more of a distant second for sure. Witherspoon was so popular and Walk The Line was by the far the most well recieved film in this lineup.  The Academy probably wasn’t quite ready to honor a transgendered performance(If I’m not mistaken, Linda Hunt was actually playing a man in The Year Of Living Dangerously) like Huffman’s yet. Dench was most likely third with Theron and Knightley in 4th and 5th place.

Best Supporting Actress: Adams- William’s work is too understated as well as unimportant to Brokeback Mountain as a whole IMO to win. Adams could have won if the wider Academy membership got around to seeing the film. Keener and McDormand had no chance of winning.

Best Original Screenplay: Tough, but I’ll say Goodnight And Good Luck.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Capote. The Constant Gardener should have won though.

What do you think?  

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Brokeback clearly. It probably came fairly close in the voting, but lack of passion as well as homophobia kept it from winning. Crash is more dramatic, more powerful film that was surely more relatable to the L.A based Academy. Hard to say if Capote or Goodnight And Good Luck were third.  

Best Director: Haggis- Lee won in a strong majority I’d imagine. Clooney was definitely third here.  

Best Actor: Ledger, but I think Hoffman won by a strong majority, even though I know some predicted Ledger to win at the time. Ledger was most likely hurt by his age as well as his restrained performance.  Phoenix probably racked up some votes, but I think voters felt that honoring Witherspooon was enough to honor both performances and the film.

Best Supporting Actor: Giamitti, although I think he wasn’t as close to Clooney as you might think. Clooney was clearly loved by the Academy that year and he had to win somewhere. Cinderella Man was such a flop and Giamitti isn’t nearly as liked as Clooney or he probably would have been nominated for Sideways the year previously. Dillon and Gyllenhaal  probably tied for third place. 

Best Actress: Huffman, although she was more of a distant second for sure. Witherspoon was so popular and Walk The Line was by the far the most well recieved film in this lineup.  The Academy probably wasn’t quite ready to honor a transgendered performance(If I’m not mistaken, Linda Hunt was actually playing a man in The Year Of Living Dangerously) like Huffman’s yet. Dench was most likely third with Theron and Knightley in 4th and 5th place.

Best Supporting Actress: Adams- William’s work is too understated as well as unimportant to Brokeback Mountain as a whole IMO to win. Adams could have won if the wider Academy membership got around to seeing the film. Keener and McDormand had no chance of winning.

Best Original Screenplay: Tough, but I’ll say Goodnight And Good Luck.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Capote. The Constant Gardener should have won though.

What do you think?  

Seeing Hoffman’s lips moving and detecting any change in the tone of his voice would have seemed OTT to me, speaking of restrained.

The rest I agree with for the most part, although William Hurt could have been closer than it seemed. It’s a divisive perf, but definitely an attention grabbing one, and with the respect that both he and Cronenberg have, he may have been second, since noone was beating Clooney that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Going out on a limb on a couple of these…

“Brokeback Mountain”
    Paul Haggis
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Keira Knightley
    Paul Giamatti
    Michelle Williams

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Brokeback Mountain
    Paul Haggis
    Heath Ledger
    Judi Dench – yes baby
    Paul Giamatti
    Amy Adams

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Brokeback Mountain
    Director: Haggis, with Clooney a close 3rd (Picture and Director used the same voting system back then, so clearly there were people voting for Crash but not its director. Maybe some of the homophobes who snubbed Brokeback might have voted for Clooney here.) 
    Actor: Ledger
    Actress: Huffman, with Knightley possibly a strong 3rd due to her being a new star in a classic role, and with some below-the-line nods for her film
    Supporting Actor: Giamatti, though it could have been Gyllenhaal, who won BAFTA
    Supporting Actress: Williams – she had that classic emotional scene and, unlike Adams, most people actually watched her film (except for the homophobes)
    Original Screenplay: Good Night and Good Luck. Squid and the Whale had the critical acclaim but it was just not an Oscar player.
    Adapted Screenplay: Capote

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

You are all out of your minds. Felicity Huffman was a very strong second for the best performance of the year. Knightley, my ass. She didn’t even recieve SAG and BAFTA (!!!) nominations. And Dench, while I liked her performance, was nowhere near close to win.

1. Reese Witherspoon
    2. Felicity Huffman
    3. Charlize Theron
    4. Judi Dench
    5. Keira Knightley

My personal ranking:

1. Felicity Huffman (one of the best performances I’ve ever seen)
    2. Judi Dench (funny, emotional and amazingly well-put)
    3. Charlize Theron (strong)
    4. Keira Knightley (incredibly authentic and lovely)
    5. Reese Witherspoon (decent)

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I have to agree with both Nick and Vinceletre- no way a 20 year old actress like Knightley starring in a film that had no real Oscar support(no adapted screenplay nod) got any considerable amount of votes, especially over Dench and especially Huffman. How could you think of anyone else especially Knigtley being second? Dench I could understand or even Theron, but not Knightley. Her nod was somewhat surprising given the snubs, but she clearly had more popularity then Zhang Ziy.

ReplyCopy URL
    MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, people who think Dench or Knightley had more votes than Huffman need to elaborate. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: this had to be Brokeback Mountain

Director: agree with Joe, with the wins from Crash it had to be Paul Haggis

Lead Actor: with Witherspoon’s win for Actress, her leading man Joaquin Phoenix (who was better than her) would have been second here.

Lead Actress: there’s no way this wasn’t Felicity Huffman (as the post above says people who think differently need to elaborate)

Supporting Actor: I don’t think it was Giamatti, I don’t think he was as close as people think. Coming off the Bafta win I think it was Jake Gyllenhaal

Supporting Actress: this one is tough, I think it was Michelle Williams

Adapted Screenplay: I have no idea, Capote maybe

Original Screenplay: this is the only one that Good Night, and Good Luck would have come close to winning. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Denis
    Participant
    Topics:

There is no way Phoenix was not a second that year, really, no way.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
    Best Director: Paul Haggis
    Best Actor: Terrance Howard
    Best Actress: Felicity Huffman
    Best Supporting Actor: Jake Gyllenhaal
    Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams

ReplyCopy URL
    Kevin Groome
    Participant
    Topics:

it honestly surprises me that Huffman lost given that she was on the biggest TV show on television at that time…I mean, yeah Reese was popular and Felicity’s film was small and could’ve gotten homophobic backlash, but still….

ReplyCopy URL
    jamiepg88
    Participant
    Topics:

it honestly surprises me that Huffman lost given that she was on the biggest TV show on television at that time…I mean, yeah Reese was popular and Felicity’s film was small and could’ve gotten homophobic backlash, but still….

Unfortunately I think what really hurt her chances was how “ugly” she got. People can overcome the low profile of their movie or the bigotry of some voters…but a woman delivering a performance so unglamorous/messy/raw was never going to win, not in a year with an alternative like Reese going brunette and quietly suffering at her husbands side  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: 2005: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.