Home Forums Movies 2006: Who Came In Second?

2006: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s my thoughts! 

Best Picture:  A difficult category to predict at the time.  That said, it was definitely going to be either Babel, The Departed, or Little Miss Sunshine.   It was common knowledge that the Queen would be honored with Mirren’s win and Letters From Iwa Jima was honored with it’s surprise nominations.  The Departed won only because the Oscars wanting to really say “I’m Sorry” to Scorsese. One would think that Babel would be second, but the film doesn’t have a rooting factor behind it and after Crash’s win,  I think voters did not feel obligated to honor another large ensemble film about topical issues.  I think Little Miss Sunshine was second, due to it’s guild wins and the fact the film was such a hit with audiences.   

Best Director:  Marty won in a strong majority.  I’d say Alejandro was a distant second.  Eastwood had just won and the film had very little buzz.  Frears and Greengrass had no chance.  

Best Actor: O’Toole. Whitaker most likely won in a landslide though.

Best Actress:  Like Heath Ledger’s win two years later, this was probably a win that was very close to being unamious. Streep came in at a very distant second I believe. I believe Dench had more buzz earlier in the season, but Streep’s Golden Globe win as well as this being her 14th nomination makes me think she got more votes then Dench whose character may have been too unlikeable.

Best Supporting Actor: Murphy, with Walberg picking up some votes.

Best Supporting Actress: Very hard because JHud clearly ruled this category this year. Many say Blanchett, but she just won so it’s hard for me to see her as second. I honestly really can’t decide, please help!  

Best Original Screenplay: Babel.

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Notes On A Scandal.  Little Chiildren had no buzz by then and neither Borat nor Children Of Men strike me as potential contenders.   

Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture – really hard to decide. Babel seems like the obvious choice because Little Miss Sunshine is a comedy and didn’t get the direction nomination.

Director – it had to be Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. As mentioned above Eastwood was a recent winner so I don’t think they would have picked him.

Actor – again it had to be Peter O’Toole, a veteran actor and good performance. DiCaprio possibly placed third.

Actress – Judi Dench came in second here, her performance is incredible. I would have loved it to be Streep because I like her film but I think the Academy were waiting a bit longer.

Supporting Actor – Eddie Murphy without a doubt.

Supporting Actress – I would like to think that Cate Blanchett placed second here but she did win not very long before this. Maybe it was Rinko Kikuchi? I’m not sure either.

Adapted Screenplay – Notes on a Scandal for sure. A great script that matched its book nicely.

Original Screenplay – The Queen came in second here. It had the Globe win and was the next best thing in this film to Mirren’s performance.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Little Miss Sunshine
    Best Actor: WIll Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
    Best Actress: Kate Winslet, Little Children
    Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
    Best Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, Babel

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Obviously Mirren won in a landslide but I just don’t see Meryl coming in 2nd. No one was going to give her a third for a supporting role in a comedy. I’m sure Dench was 2nd and Winslett was stone cold last.

Great lineup by the way.

Surely Breslin was 2nd in Supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: has to be Babel. It was a really divisive film, and you spelled out its weaknesses perfectly, but I think without a directing nomination Little Miss Sunishine stood no chance, especially since it was an indie comedy. 
    Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. No explanation needed.
    Actor: Peter O’Toole. I want to say Will Smith due to his film having an extremely emotional factor to it, but O’Toole’s overdue factor (which was far greater than DiCaprio’s at the time) probably put him over Smith and DiCaprio.
    Actress: Judi Dench. Mirren won in a landslide, but there’s no way Streep came in second for a girly comedy about fashion, no matter what the Golden Globes said. 
    S. Actor: Eddie Murphy. Alan Arkin didn’t deserve this award. He died like 40 minutes in, and he didn’t deliver any sort of special performance at all. Even Wahlberg deserved it more.
    S. Actress: absolutely no clue. Here’s a complete guess: someone from Babel.
    O. Screenplay: The Queen. Peter Morgan is an extremely admired playwright and screenwriter, and Babel’s was kind of messy. 
    A. Screenplay: Notes On a Scandal. I have never seen the film, but based on the other nominees (Borat, really?) I’m going to have to go with this one. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Little Miss Sunshine
    Director: Iñárritu
    Actor: O’Toole
    Actress: Dench
    Supporting Actor: Murphy
    Supporting Actress: Either Breslin or Kikuchi, but I’ll got with the former as the latter might have lost votes to her co-star. Also Oscar loves little girls, especially when they’re in Best Picture contenders.
    Original Screenplay: The Queen 
    Adapted Screenplay: Notes on a Scandal 

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m gonna guess Supporting Actress was either Kikuchi or Breslin. A lot of the time S Actress is the place they reward movies that either they like but isn’t going to win anywhere else (Arquette, Spencer, Swinton, etc.) or when a move could win BP and needs an extra win to boost it’s number. The industry clearly loved Little Miss Sunshine, Breslin is almost a borderline lead in the movie, and this is obviously the category that is kindest to child actors. Meanwhile Babel also probably got close to winning some big ones, and Kikuchi seemed to be the performer in that movie that people were most passionate about. I’m gonna go with Breslin, just because while Babel seemed to have broader support, the people who loved Little Miss Sunshine seemed to really love it, and I’m willing to bed Breslin got a lot of number 1 votes.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 2006: Who Came In Second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.