Home Forums Movies 2007: Who Came In Second?

2007: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Continuing with Vincelette’s idea! 

Best Picture:  There Will Be Blood most likely, I think No Country was fairly an easy winner that year though.

Best Director:  Probably Anderson, Schanbel may have gotten some votes, but not enough to put him in second.  

Best Actor:  Day-Lewis won in a landslide.  On paper, I would say Clooney, but I could see Mortensen in second perhaps.  

Best Actress:  Many will disagree, but I dont think Christie came in second. Her work was too subtle for the Academy. I think Linney got more votes then she did, but Marion probably dominated the balllots that year.  

Best Supporting Actor:  Tom Wilkinson, but Bardem won in a landslide.  

Best Supporting Actress:  Cate Blanchett.  The performance had a lot of buzz at the time and Blanchett has more clout as an actress then Amy Ryan. Both of them I think were pretty evenly matched in second place. I doubt Dee got that many votes even with the SAG win.   Ronan was clearly fifth.  Swinton probably won in a narrow margin.  

Best Original Screenplay: Michael Clayton.

Best Adapted Screenplay:  Diving Bell And The Butterfly.  

Anonymous
    Topics:

PICTURE – I think either Atonement or There Will Be Blood. I’m going with Atonement right now.

DIRECTOR – Paul Thomas Anderson.

ACTOR – Unfortunately, mediocore Clooney.

ACTRESS – Who would disagree that Christie came second? There is no way in hell that either Blanchett or Linney came second. And Page was a strong third. I remember Christie as being a lock for the win – this was my first year Oscar-wise, so I remember is clearly haha.

SUPPORTING ACTOR – Tom Wilkinson, maybe.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS – I think with a SAG-win, Ruby Dee was the strongest alternative. But I’m happy that Dame Tilda won instead!

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – Atonement. It should have won.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – Michael Clayton.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Atonement had NO Oscar momentum by post nominations season. It definitely did not come in second.

As for Christie, she did win a lot of precursors, but that performance is an EXTREMELEY subtle performance. People call Saoirise Ronan in Brooklyn subtle, but if you”ve seen Away From Her, you”ll know what I mean. Christie”s Fiona is is quite and understated, not the Academy”s cup of tea. Ronan”s performance may be understated, but it”s not subdued. Oscar voters never honor subtle performances anymore, much less quiet ones. Blanchett was definitely fifth in lead that year. Linney”s nomination came out of nowhere, but the Academy liked her work a lot and I think many left Away From Her disappointed with it. One voter actually stated he didn”t know anyone who had gotten through it(it”s a very sad film after all). Page was most likely fourth that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Christie won every single precursors and all big critics prizes, but the BAFTA award. I think she was an easy second. I mean she’s after all a legend. In the end, I didn’t really like/care for his performance in “Away from Her”. As of my preferences I would probably rank it either 4th or last.

My predictions for the voting results that year…
    Nomination-wise
    1. Julie Christie
    2. Ellen Page
    3. Marion Cotillard
    4. Cate Blanchett
    5. Laura Linney

Winner-wise
    1. Marion Cotillard
    2. Julie Christie
    3. Ellen Page
    4. Laura Linney
    5. Cate Blanchett

— I can see your point about Atonement, but I remember as being very strong overall. I think There Will Be Blood was too much for the Academy and Juno was fun but not their typical BP-winner. Michael Clayton….well I’m sure they just simply slept a good one on it like the rest of us.

ReplyCopy URL
    Monty
    Participant
    Topics:

2007 season is really a memorable season in history of Oscar as the winners are very very well deserved (Day-Lewis, Cotillard, Bardem, No Country for Old Men, Coen Brothers)
    Best Picture: There Will Be Blood (a masterpiece)
    Best Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
    Best Actor: Viggo Mortensen
    Best Actress: Julie Christie (I don’t think Cotillard win by a landslide. I think it is really close.)
    Best Supporting Actor: I don’t know, Bardem was too dominant that I am not sure who come second
    Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett (If she didnt win for the Aviator, she will surely win this one to compensate for the snub of Elizabeth)

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: There Will Be Blood, but I’ll bet it wasn’t close.
    Director: Anderson
    Actor: Tricky. Clooney’s film had the most support, but he’d only just won and his role wasn’t as showy as his supporting co-stars. Tommy Lee Jones might have got votes effectively for No Country as well as his nominated film. But seeing as DDL won in such a landslide, it might even have been Johnny Depp, seeing as this was when he was still cool, it was his third nom in a short space of time and he had (literally) a killer role.
    Actress: Christie. Ellen Page was a comfortable but relatively distant 3rd, despite the BP nom for Juno.
    Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson, particularly considering the Swinton win.
    Supporting Actress: Again, tricky. Blanchett was brilliant but she’d recently won and I’ll bet voters were turning off I’m Not There left, right and centre. Amy Ryan had a lot of critics wins but there wasn’t much support for the film as a whole, and her role wasn’t that huge. Ruby Dee had the SAG, but not much else which made her vulnerable. I’m tempted to say Saoirse Ronan as she was in a BP nominee and Oscar loves female youngsters, but she disappears from the film very early on and some voters might have been more moved by Romola Garai as the older Briony. (Not me though.) Ruby Dee had ‘that scene’, despite the smallness of her role, so I think it was her.
    Original Screenplay: Michael Clayton of course.
    Adapted Screenplay: A toss-up between Atonement and TWBB, but I’ll go with the latter as it had more memorable dialogue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the 2007 race not 2008.

Please change the title.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Got it!

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Vincelette, I remember Atonement being very strong as well in the early Oscar season. On paper, it”s right up Oscar”s alley.However, the film started losing steam as No Country started dominating the precursors and it winning the Golden Globe certainly did nothing for it”s chances since there was no ceremony that year. Also, There Will Be Blood became more and more buzzed about as the season went on and it seemed to be gaining some support, although not enough to unseat No Country. The fact that Wright missed the directing nomination essentially killed Atonement”s chances and to my mind, made Juno a rather distant third (Reitman”s nomination was definitely one of the biggest and at the time, one of the most pleasant surprises to me on Oscar Nomination morning). The 2000″s also was breaking the tradition of the traditional Oscar film, with no large, romantic epic film winning Best Picture throughout the whole decade. A Beautiful Mind is the most traditional Best Picture winner by far from fhat decade. The King”s Speech”s win 3 years later made me think the traditional Oscar film was making a comeback, but it doesn”t seem to be that way(unless you count 12 Years A Slave which is an historical film, but not exactly as traditional as The King”s Speech)

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: There Will Be Blood
    Best Actor: George Clooney
    Best Actress: Laura Linney
    Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson
    Best Supporting Actress: Ruby Dee

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.