2008: Who finished second?

Home // Forums // Movies // 2008: Who finished second?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Previous Results

2014:
    “Boyhood” / Richard Linklater / Michael Keaton / Marion Cotillard / Emma Stone / Edward Norton / “Whiplash” / “The Grand Budapest Hotel”

2013:
    “Gravity” / Steve McQueen / Chiwetel Ejiofor and Leonardo DiCaprio (tie) / Sandra Bullock / Barkhad Abdi / Jennifer Lawrence / “Philomena” / “American Hustle”

BEST PICTURE
    BEST DIRECTOR
    BEST ACTOR
    BEST ACTRESS
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

I would like to hear your thoughts and speculations on the 2008’s race
    this time. Who do you think finished runner-up and why? Remember it’s
    not
    about your personal preference, it’s more like a good guessing  type of
    fun.

Anonymous
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE – Either “Milk” or “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”.
    BEST DIRECTOR – David Fincher.
    BEST ACTOR – Mickey Rourke.
    BEST ACTRESS – Meryl Streep or Anne Hathaway. Probably Meryl as she won the SAG and was long overdue for a third Oscar.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – No runner-up here. But if I must choose, Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – I know people love Viola Davis and they are going to say her name here, but objectively, she has missed the BAFTA nomination, so Amy Adams could pretty much come second – she was the only one next to Cruz who hit all precursors.
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – I think “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” was strong, but “Doubt” was stronger in this category.
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – I can imagine all four as runner-ups…I’m going with the best “In Bruges” out of the bunch.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE – Milk 
    BEST DIRECTOR – David Fincher
    BEST ACTOR – Mickey Rourke
    BEST ACTRESS – Meryl Streep 
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR – Josh Brolin
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – Viola Davis
    BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY – The Reader
    BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY – WALL·E was considered strong competition until the night of. 

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Best Director – David Fincher
    Best Actor – Mickey Rourke
    Best Actress – Meryl Streep
    Best Supporting Actor – Robert Downey Jr.
    Best Supporting Actress – Viola Davis
    Best Original Screenplay – Wall-E
    Best Adapted Screenplay – Doubt

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Definitely Milk.  Benjamin Button had zero chance of winning the big awards,even after thirteen nominations.  The Slumdog train railroaded it completely that season, not to mention I think many people were turned off by it.  Milk was a very moving and great film that  had a very strong impact due to Prop 8 being passed just recently.  If Slumdog hadn’t been so strong, I think that, combined with guilt from Brokeback’s loss 3 years earlier, would have tipped the odds in it’s favor.  

Best Director:  Tricky. I think Van Sant came in second though due to the lack of passion surrounding Benjamin Button.  Stephen Daldry probably picked up some votes for The Reader. But Boyle no doubt won by a strong majority.  

Best Actor:  Mickey Rourke of course.  It was kind of tragic to see him lose, given how great he was. Penn was great too though.  Rourke was unfortunately going up against a very baity performance in a film with considerably more love for the Academy(Seriously, no nomination for Springstein’s song?Shame on the Academy! ).  He also didn’t campaign enough to change his image. Oscar voters probably still think he’s bizzare.

Best Actress:  Streep, for the reasons you mentioned. Hathaway was gaining some steam after she and Meryl tied for the Critics Choice award and even after Winslet’s double Globe win,  I still thought she had a  chance. But then Winslet was placed in lead for The Reader and the latter was nominated for BP and BD and Rachel Getting Married was shut out of everything else. That and Streep won SAG, basically demoting Hathaway to a distant third.  I doubt Meryl was as close as some thought at the time to Winslet though.  This was definitely  Kate’s year  and the support for The Reader sealed it.  

Best Supporting Actor:  This was probably one of the closest things the Academy has had to a unamious decision at the Oscars.  I think second place was probably Hoffman due to the strength of his performance.  

Best Supporting Actress:  Hard to say.  I’d say Davis though given she definitely had more buzz then Adams did, which matters a lot more  then  a snub at BAFTA.  Tomei and Adams were probably about equal with Henson in a very much deserved fifth spot in the voting(Seriously?  Couldn’t they have given Rosemarie Dewitt a nomination?).  

Best  Original Screenplay:  Either Wall-e or In Bruges. Probably the latter.  

Best Adapted Screenplay:  This was a rather undeserved win for Slumdog since Doubt,  The Reader, and Frost Nixon were all better scripts.  I’d say Doubt was the runner up due to it’s amazing, compelling dialogue.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – Milk (It had won so many critics Best Picture prizes that I think a BP win, if not for Slumdog, would have been a certainty. Also it had an Editing nomination, and even the all-too-often snubbed Danny Elfman got in for his Score. It would be looked at as a sort of symbolic apology to gay cinema & culture for snubbing Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture, infamously giving it to the homosexual-free Crash instead. Finally, it actually did win 2 big Awards, for Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay, the latter of which where it wasn’t even in competition with Slumdog.)

Best Director – Gus Van Sant (BP and director line up usually and this doesn’t seem like a year or film that would have split. See above reasons.)

Best Actor – Mickey Rourke (Career achievement. He should have won this easily in my opinion, I’ve always found Sean Penn whiny and obnoxious, whether it’s Gangster Squad, Mystic River or even Milk. He’s good at playing Spicoli and ONLY Spicoli, as far as I’m convinced. Rourke had the comeback narrative, the physical work he did, the critical acclaim, and I’m willing to bet there were quite a few Academy voters who felt 1 Oscar for Mystic River was enough already for Penn.)

Best Actress – Meryl Streep (She won the SAG and shockingly Critics Choice, she’s f**king Meryl Streep, the movie deals with an important and relevant subject, it was her 15th nomination and many voters would have felt it time for her 3rd win.)

Best Supporting Actor – Josh Brolin (A bunch of critics Awards, it’s still the Best Performance of his career, it was a Best Picture nominee, he’s playing a real-life person and Academy voters love that, he’s playing a villian and they also love that. Nobody could or should have beaten Heath Ledger as The Joker, but I think its obvious Brolin was for sure the distant 2nd.)

Best Supporting Actress – Marisa Tomei (Older male Oscar voters, aka most of the Academy, love to give Awards to Actresses playing prostitutes, so much they did it twice in the same year, with Elizabeth Taylor and Shirley Jones. It was a physically-demanding and revealing role, and just the kind of Supporting role they like to give an Award to. Also, it would be great confirmation that her previous win for My Cousin Vinny wasn’t a hoax after all, as hotly-debated as it was.)

Best Adapted Screenplay – Peter Morgan (This would be the category to give Best Picture nominee Frost/ Nixon real recognition. Peter Morgan is such a well-respected writer in the industry, he’s a previous nominee for The Queen, it’s a biopic and Oscar voters love that, esp. in that specific category, just look at 12 Years a Slave, The Imitation Game, etc. Or even Milk for real,over in Original that same year!)

Best Original Screenplay – Wall E (We’ve seen Animated films nominated before, like Shrek, and quite a few previous Pixar movies going back to the 1st Toy Story, before there even was an Animated Feature category. But I think the backlash over Wall-e getting snubbed for Best Picture, as well as the mostly dialogue free first half-hour, and the unique nature of the script itself would add up to the 1st Screenplay win for an Animated Motion Picture ever at the Oscars. Also, its environmental message couldn’t have hurt its chances.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Doubt or Benjamin Button was second but most likely Doubt because its script allowed the actors be strong in their scenes and it became intense. If there was as 10 nominee lineup in that year, Doubt would’ve been nominated for Best Picture

Considering Doubt’s 4 acting nominations (including Amy Adams WTF!), I’d say you’re probably right about it getting in if there had been a 10-nominee Best Picture field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

If the Academy nominated more then 5 films back then, there’s no doubt to my mind that Doubt, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight would all have been nominated.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture: Milk. Don’t let anyone tell you Benjamin Button, cos they’re wrong!!
    Director: Gus Van Sant. Ditto
    Actor: Mickey Rourke
    Actress: Meryl Streep

Supporting Actor: As Ledger was so far ahead, I have no qualms in choosing Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder as a likely 2nd place, as unlikely as it seems on paper. His role was the showiest of the four “losers” and he also had a good narrative with this and Iron Man being huge box office hits that year. Plus, Hoffman had recently won and his role probably creeped people out. 

Supporting Actress: Viola Davis. Oscar loves these one-scene wonders.

Original Screenplay: I wonder about Frozen River actually. It might have been the Winter’s Bone of that year in an expanded lineup, and the lack of human dialogue for whole portions of WALL-E might have counted against it. (Interestingly, both Frozen River and Milk were by first-time screenwriters.)

Adapted Screenplay: The Reader, though it could easily have been Frost/Nixon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Milk, with Benjamin Button a close third.
    Director: Gus Van Sant. Fincher was more overdue and (arguably) did the better work, but if Milk was second then its director probably was too, as this wasn’t a split type of year.
    Actor: Mickey Rourke, easily.
    Actress: Meryl Streep, for reasons stated above. 
    S. Actor: this is hard to pick, as this was probably one of the easiest choices the Academy has ever made and there were no precursors that disagreed with their choice. But I’ll have to go with Josh Brolin, as he had never won (or been nominated, wow) and had the performance and the film to do it. Hoffman may have been second, but he had just won a couple of years prior and I don’t see an overwhelming support for Doubt without a BP nomination. Plus, Shannon was kind of a surprise nominee and Downey’s presence was strictly to round out the five needed slots. It’s hard to imagine him getting even a single vote that year IMO. 
    S. Actress: hard pick between Adams and Davis, but I’ll have to go with Amy Adams. I don’t want to keep using the “overdue” argument (as it isn’t always right: Rourke lost), but Adams had more screentime and all the precursor nominations to indicate being in second place. Tomei wasn’t far behind, either. 
    Original Screenplay: Wall-E. In Bruges had a brilliant script, but Pixar is always a spoiler in this category, and I think the outrage over Wall-E’s BP snub (although was it ever really a great possibility?) gave it a lot more votes than In Bruges.
    Adapted Screenplay: This was a stacked category. Doubt had the best dialogue and was compellingly written, Benjamin Button must have been close due to its overwhelming presence that year, and The Reader I assume had a fantastic script (haven’t seen it), but Frost/Nixon had a beloved writer behind it and wasn’t close to winning anywhere else, so if they wanted to honor it, it would’ve been here. Plus, Doubt wasn’t even nominated for BP, and as we know thanks to the Steve Jobs thread, winning a screenplay award without being nominated for BP isn’t common. 

And BTW, can anyone who makes a thread like this provide the nominees and winners in that given year in their post? I want to contribute to most of them but I don’t want to google who the nominees were every time, because I’m lazy. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

If the Academy nominated more then 5 films back then, there’s no doubt to my mind that Doubt, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight would all have been nominated.  

Agreed.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture- Milk 
    Director- Van Sant
    Actor- Rourke
    Actress- Streep or Jolie
    Supporting Actor- Hoffman
    Actress- Adams
    Original Screenplay- Wall.e
    Adapted- Doubt or Frost/Nixon 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture – Milk
    Best Directing – Gus van Sant.
    Best Actor – Rourke.
    Best Actress – Streep.
    Best Supporting Actor – Shannon. The only true passion pick among the nominees.
    Best Supporting Actress – Adams and Davis both had supporters but they were aiming at the same voting block, so I’d say Tomei.
    Best Original Screenplay – In Bruges.
    Best Adapted Screenplay – The Reader. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Rooney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Picture; Milk

Lead Actor: Mickey Rourke.

Lead Actress: Meryl Streep.
    Life is so strange.
    Viola Davis was probably too relieved at the time when she’s learned the Academy bumped Winslet up to Lead and her category suddenly became wide open. But had Streep&Winslet won Lead and Supporting categories respectively in 2008; no one would have stopped her even more prestigious “Lead” Oscar three years later. Be careful what you wish for, lol.

Supporting Actor: Robert Downey Jr.

Supporting Actress: NO WAY Adams was ahead of Davis. Everyone who has watched the movie was either talking about Streep or Davis or the scene between Streep and Davis.
    Adams was serviceable and she’s done her best with the material she’s been given but this just simply wasn’t a role that could win any awards. It was too submissive, ineffectual and secondary. It was a “Why not?” nom. than “Give her an Oscar dammit!” nom. That’s why she’s nominated everywhere and didn’t win anything, unlike Davis who had an undeniable critical buzz.
     Bafta just isn’t a credible precursor to begin with when we’re talking about her, since they showed they were desperate enough to nominate her for even Big Eyes last year. I can see her nomination over Davis as a mixture of an apologize for her previous snub for Junebug and Bafta’s specific despise for short performances-see also snubs for Ruby Dee and Beatrice Straight.

Original Screenplay: In Bruges.
    Adapted Screenplay: Frost/Nixon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Honestly, most people don’t acknowledge’s Amy’s awards run in 2008, because they don’t like her AMAZING performance. Davis had buzz, but she has missed the BAFTAs, sorry but that’s what it is. A snub. I doubt Davis was runner-up, I think she was a strong third.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: 2008: Who finished second?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.