Home Forums Movies 2009: Who Came In Second?

2009: Who Came In Second?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s another one! Although I’ll be honest and say that I had no motivation to see a lot of the films this year(I missed HL, Avatar, IB, and District 9), I have to say that this was one of the worst Oscar seasons I’ve covered mostly due to the complete lack of suspense in the races and Bullock’s Oscar win, although I don’t hate The Blind Side as much as I used to

Best Picture: Avatar. But Hurt Locker was always a strong frontrunner throughout the season to me due to the Academy’s long standing bias against Sci Fi films and the fact it had Bigelow/topical themes behind it. Up In The Air was a strong contender in the beginning of the season, but it needed a Golden Globe victory to get it beyond an also ran status which it didn’t get. Inglorious Bastards would have had a better chance if Harvey hadn’t put put all his eggs in the rotten basket of Nine. Precious never had a real chance at a win here.

Best Director: Cameron. His technical achievement as well as the Academy’s bias against women got me nervous he could triumph here, but I was happy when the Academy finally honored a woman.

Best Actor: Hmm, hard to say. But I think Renner most likely was a distant second since Firth’s film was probably not seen by the wider majority of the Academy membership. He would have had a better chance if the film had been a stronger contender at Oscar time. Both Clooney and especially Freeman were also rans.

Best Supporting Actor: Another tricky one because Waltz dominated the season so much. Some said Plummer could have possibly been a sentimental vote, but that film is so terrible that it’s hard for me to see anybody voting for him. I guess I’ll say Damon, but I honestly have no idea.

Best Actress: Most would say Streep and I’d probably agree although there’s a slight chance Mulligan was second. She did win many critics prizes as well as the BAFTA and I honestly think that she could have beaten Meryl had The Blind Side not existed. But I’m inclined to go with Meryl because after all she’s Meryl Streep. Gabby was overshadowed by the hurricane of acclaim surrounding Monique’s performance throughout that entire season which is a shame because she would have been highly deserving of the award. Seriously, she’ll probably never be nominated again. Mirren was lucky to be nominated.

Best Supporting Actress: Kendrick, who had some early buzz even when Monique was steamrolling the competition. None of the other nominees had any chance what so ever.

Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Bastards. I actually predicted it to win over Hurt Locker due to the fact they love honoring avant-garde films in this category but like Birdman’s victory five years later, the Academy has a hard time not giving the Best Picture winner a screenplay win most of the time.

Best Adapted Screenplay: This was the only real upset of the ENTIRE night and if it hadn’t happened so early in that awfully boring ceremony it would have made more of an impact. Up In The Air had won literally all of the important precursors here and this was it’s clear consolation prize much like Juno, Lost In Translation, and Sideways. But Precious must have had a lot of passion behind it. If anyone has any more explanation of why this win happened, please chime in!

What do you think?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Joe Burns.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Jason was feuding with the co-scriptwriter for Up In The Air. He wanted sole credit. So those who found the situation distasteful went for an alternative they could be proud of. Remember Precious over performed on nomination morning. Everyone assumed Mo’Nique were its only possible win. By giving Precious Adapted Screenplay we have our first black screenwriter winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

That behind the scenes stuff about the script stuff makes sense! However, I feel that Precious didn’t over perform on Oscar morning. I expected it to get in for Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, and for it’s Screenplay. I guess Editing could have been a surprise, but it got all the major nominations I expected it to get. To me, there was no indication that the Academy loved it more then I thought they would.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice analysis. My hunch is Avatar, Cameron, Firth, Streep, Tucci and Farmiga. Indeed, though, there was so much distance between the acting winners and their competition that it’s tough to gauge.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1989) – A Love Letter to Howard Ashman

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s another one! Although I’ll be honest and say that I had no motivation to see a lot of the films this year(I missed HL, Avatar, IB, and District 9), I have to say that this was one of the worst Oscar seasons I’ve covered mostly due to the complete lack of suspense in the races and Bullock’s Oscar win, although I don’t hate The Blind Side as much as I used to

Best Picture: Avatar. But Hurt Locker was always a strong frontrunner throughout the season to me due to the Academy’s long standing bias against Sci Fi films and the fact it had Bigelow/topical themes behind it. Up In The Air was a strong contender in the beginning of the season, but it needed a Golden Globe victory to get it beyond an also ran status which it didn’t get. Inglorious Bastards would have had a better chance if Harvey hadn’t put put all his eggs in the rotten basket of Nine. Precious never had a real chance at a win here.

Best Director: Cameron. His technical achievement as well as the Academy’s bias against women got me nervous he could triumph here, but I was happy when the Academy finally honored a woman.

Best Actor: Hmm, hard to say. But I think Renner most likely was a distant second since Firth’s film was probably not seen by the wider majority of the Academy membership. He would have had a better chance if the film had been a stronger contender at Oscar time. Both Clooney and especially Freeman were also rans.

Best Supporting Actor: Another tricky one because Waltz dominated the season so much. Some said Plummer could have possibly been a sentimental vote, but that film is so terrible that it’s hard for me to see anybody voting for him. I guess I’ll say Damon, but I honestly have no idea.

Best Actress: Most would say Streep and I’d probably agree although there’s a slight chance Mulligan was second. She did win many critics prizes as well as the BAFTA and I honestly think that she could have beaten Meryl had The Blind Side not existed. But I’m inclined to go with Meryl because after all she’s Meryl Streep. Gabby was overshadowed by the hurricane of acclaim surrounding Monique’s performance throughout that entire season which is a shame because she would have been highly deserving of the award. Seriously, she’ll probably never be nominated again. Mirren was lucky to be nominated.

Best Supporting Actress: Kendrick, who had some early buzz even when Monique was steamrolling the competition. None of the other nominees had any chance what so ever.

Best Original Screenplay: Inglorious Bastards. I actually predicted it to win over Hurt Locker due to the fact they love honoring avant-garde films in this category but like Birdman’s victory five years later, the Academy has a hard time not giving the Best Picture winner a screenplay win most of the time.

Best Adapted Screenplay: This was the only real upset of the ENTIRE night and if it hadn’t happened so early in that awfully boring ceremony it would have made more of an impact. Up In The Air had won literally all of the important precursors here and this was it’s clear consolation prize much like Juno, Lost In Translation, and Sideways. But Precious must have had a lot of passion behind it. If anyone has any more explanation of why this win happened, please chime in!

What do you think?

Aw, I truly liked The Last Station. Especially Plummer. I also cant resist a film with Anne -Marie Duff.
    I pretty much agree with the rest. Esp Meryl. She was definitely second, before the stars aligned for Ms Bullock.

ditto re the screenplay discussed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I was quite fond of The Last Station too and actually thought both Mirren and Plummer should’ve prevailed.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1989) – A Love Letter to Howard Ashman

ReplyCopy URL
    13SV8
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Picture: Avatar

Best Director: James Cameron

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan

Best Actor: Collin Firth

Best Supporting Actress: Vera Farmiga

Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lead Actress race was interesting. I do think that Carey Mulligan and Gabourey Sidibe would have stood a better chance to win if the other one was not nominated. I actually preferred these performances over Streep and Bullock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Me too. It’s a shame they didn’t win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Sandra Bullock deserved that Oscar. For her long and successful career alone. I’ve been watching some Bullock films lately, and while not all of them are that worthy, she’s phenomenal in most. She was sadly snubbed for Infamous and Crash, so this Oscar was just well-deserved. I love Gabourey Sidibe but she has yet to prove herself in another film again, and Carey Mulligan cannot be more boring with her film choices. Bullock proved herself in Gravity, Our Brand Is Crisis (she was so much better than some of the actual leading lady nominees) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close ever since. She’s a good actress, and I’m happy to live in a world, where hard-working actresses like her are Oscar winners. I know it’s not a popular opinion to say, but that’s what I think.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Also, Anna Kendrick was easily second. She had the most showy role next to Monique’s of course. Gyllenhaal was a “long-overdue” nominee in a filler spot, Vera was too simple for Oscar’s taste, and Penelope Cruz’s nomination was a joke.

All Kendrick’s, Farmiga’s and Gyllenhaal’s career were buzzed up because of the nominations which is nice, but I never heard of Cruz again. She’s gone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Avatar, Cameron, Firth, Streep, Plummer, Kendrick or Farmiga (toss-up), Bastards, Up in the Air (lost partly because of the Reitman controversy with the other writers and not sharing credit).

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe if Cruz was an american woman like Gyllenhaal, Kendrick and Farmiga, people would know more about her. Also, I don’t think it’s easy for Sidibe to get good parts in movies, to be honest there isn’t parts for her.

Bullock was good in a bad movie, Streep was there for the accent. Sidibe and Mulligan, especially the latter, were far better but being newcomers didn’t help against a 250M box office, right?

I don’t vote for newcomers unless is something really GREAT, but Mulligan has proved that she’s amazing and today I would love she had won in 2009.

The runner ups were Avatar, Cameron, Firth, Streep, Plummer and Kendrick.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I really believe she could have been that year’s Brie Larson had Bullock not been in the mix- Streep’s chances would have faded eventually, since the Academy was never going to honor a film like Julie And Julia with an Oscar and they liked An Education. But the media buzz around Streep vs Bullock derailed that, although I don’t really think Streep had any chance once The Blind Side got in for Best Picture, especially since Bullock had won the SAG already.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

That BP nod for Blind Side kinda sealed the deal for Bullock, it was like this year when Room got a BD nom.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.