2010 Supporting Ladies: Strong competition, weak nominees?!

Home // Forums // Movies // 2010 Supporting Ladies: Strong competition, weak nominees?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Hailee Steinfeld: Very good, but a big fat category cheat.

Amy Adams: Brilliant. She’s the strongest next to Steinfeld.

Melissa Leo: Over the top. She should have make the list with another performance – “Welcome to the Rileys”.

Jacki Weaver: Spooky and interesting, but she doesn’t have the screentime to impress me enough. Also her film is awful.

Helena Bonham Carter: You know, she’s good. But she could have play this character and give this performance in her sleep.

I think there were some notable contenders which are worthy for the mention even more next to them:

Kimberly Elise in “For Colored Girls”
    Marion Cotillard in “Inception”
    Rebecca Hall in “The Town”
    Anika Noni Rose in “For Colored Girls”
    Phylicia Rashad in “For Colored Girls”
    Anne Marie Duff in “Nowhere Boy”
    Yasmin Paige in “Submarine”
    Sally Hawkins in “Submarine”
    Loretta Devine in “For Colored Girls”
    Kim Cattrall in “The Ghost Writer”
    Amanda Seyfried in “Chloe”
    Melissa Leo in “Welcome to the Rileys”
    Dale Dickey in “Winter’s Bone”
    Janet Jackson in “For Colored Girls”
    Kristin Scott Thomas in “Nowhere Boy”
    Sandra Oh in “Rabbit Hole”
    Barbara Hershey in “Black Swan”
    Mila Kunis in “Black Swan”
    Olivia Williams in “The Ghost Writer”

Who were your favorits? Discuss.

FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Jacki Weaver is my personal winner of that category. The only other actress from the actual lineup I would nominate is Amy Adams who was leagues better than Melissa Leo imo. Some of my other favorite performances that year are Patricia Clarkson for Easy A, Rooney Mara for The Social Network (only had a handful of scenes and NAILED it), Mila Kunis/Barbara Hershey for Black Swan, Marion Cotillard for Inception, Alison Pill for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and Kierston Wareing for Fish Tank. Great year for supporting ladies! 

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Mila Kunis gave her career best performance, and definitely deserved a nomination. I would have probably removed Steinfeld with the intention of putting her in lead instead, where she certainly belonged. Thankfully this could be the last case of what I like to call ‘Huttoning’ (campaigning a lead child actor in supporting simply because they’re children). If Wallis had been nominated in supporting, I may have fully given up on the Oscars. I got off-topic there, but I’m actually fine with the other four, though I would have chosen Adams over Leo for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

My Line Up From 2010:

1. Amy Adams – The Fighter (WINNER)
    2. Marion Cotillard – Inception
    3. Mila Kunis – Black Swan
    4. Melissa Leo – The Fighter
    5. Helena Bonham Carter – The King’s Speech 

I wasn’t a lover of True Grit when I saw it, and haven’t seen it since. But if I were to watch it now, it could impress me more. (Now that I have a greater appreciation of the Western genre). I haven’t seen Animal Kingdom. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Mila Kunis gave her career best performance, and definitely deserved a nomination. I would have probably removed Steinfeld with the intention of putting her in lead instead, where she certainly belonged. Thankfully this could be the last case of what I like to call ‘Huttoning’ (campaigning a lead child actor in supporting simply because they’re children). If Wallis had been nominated in supporting, I may have fully given up on the Oscars. I got off-topic there, but I’m actually fine with the other four, though I would have chosen Adams over Leo for sure.

Over Michelle Williams, I guess? The other 4 would be too hard to remove. 

I loved Steinfeld’s performance but I gotta agree that she should be Lead nominee a’la Keisha years before her. I did believe it will happen after BAFTAs but… it obviously didn’t happen.

I’m sorry about Mila Kunis not getting nominated. She was delightful, playing both Nina and the way she was perceived by Natalie Portman’s character. I believe that Nina being so sexually free and unapologetic about it was the reason the voters didn’t vote for her, like it happened with Nicole Kidman (“To Die For”, “The Paperboy”), Jamie Lee Curtis (“A Fish Called Wanda”, “True Lies”) and Cameron Diaz (“Vanilla Sky”).

Marion Cotillard was effective as always (sans “The Dark Knight Rises”) but there’s no way she was ever a legitimate Oscar contender. C’mon, she wasn’t even up for Saturn Award. 

BAFTAs did great that year, including Julianne Moore and Barbara Hershey plus nominating Amy Adams and snubbing Melissa Leo, giving “The Fighter” exactly what the film deserved in that category.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

Leo and Weaver deserved their nominations fully. Carter did absolutely nothing in her film to warrant a nomination, and Steinfeld should be in lead.

I would’ve added in Barbara Hershey (Black Swan), Diane Wiest (Rabbit Hole) and Annette Bening (For Kids or Mother and Child) 

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Dianne Wiest should have won this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Melisaa Leo played an over the top character. She did not give an over the top performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I conside Lesley Manville to be lead in Another Year, but I think they clearly could have gotten her in that category had their campaigned her as such earlier for the critics and other industry awards groups to catch up. Even then with the BAFTA nod she seemed like she wasn’t that far off.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually would have swaped Helena’s performance in King’s Speech with Harry Potter 7.1. I thought she was deliciously evil and really was excellent in that movie. Barbra Hershey was my runner up for Black Swan. From the line up, Haliee was by far was the best with Amy next, Melissa, Jacki, and then Helena. Yeah Hailee should have been in lead but that’s the treatment that breakouts get 

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed. The nominees are weak and a double spot for The Fighter did not help. Steinfeld didn’t go here, I’m fine with Weaver, no to Bonham Carter. My ballot probably:

Marion Cotillard – Inception
    Rebecca Hall – The Town

Barbara Hershey – Black Swan
    Mila Kunis – Black Swan
    Emma Watson – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 *

Dianne Weist – Rabbit Hole

*She’s lead but I would have cheated. Oscar taught me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought the lineup was fine. Loved Leo, Weaver, and Adams. Steinfeld was a strong breakthrough choice. I’m glad she can call herself an Oscar nominee. I know that I would have replaced Helena Bonham Carter for one of the “Black Swan” ladies, probably Mila Kunis. Both Kunis and Hershey if Steinfeld went lead. My only must-haves in lead actress that year were Sidibe and Mulligan. Streep was okay. Mirren was way OTT. As for Bullock, sigh. At least she’s redeemed herself with stronger later works. Steinfeld could have replaced any of them TBH.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Agreed. The nominees are weak and a double spot for The Fighter did not help. Steinfeld didn’t go here, I’m fine with Weaver, no to Bonham Carter. My ballot probably:

Marion Cotillard – Inception
    Rebecca Hall – The Town
    Barbara Hershey – Black Swan
    Mila Kunis – Black Swan
    Emma Watson – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 *

Dianne Weist – Rabbit Hole

*She’s lead but I would have cheated. Oscar taught me.

Definitely. I think she’s as significant as Radcliffe in this episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I thought the lineup was fine. Loved Leo, Weaver, and Adams. Steinfeld was a strong breakthrough choice. I’m glad she can call herself an Oscar nominee. I know that I would have replaced Helena Bonham Carter for one of the “Black Swan” ladies, probably Mila Kunis. Both Kunis and Hershey if Steinfeld went lead. My only must-haves in lead actress that year were Sidibe and Mulligan. Streep was okay. Mirren was way OTT. As for Bullock, sigh. At least she’s redeemed herself with stronger later works. Steinfeld could have replaced any of them TBH.

Different year.

But I think the 2010 Leading Ladies’ lineup is very strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Atypical”]

Different year.

But I think the 2010 Leading Ladies’ lineup is very strong.
    [/quote]

Yikes that’s right. Ugh. Well, replace Carter with Kunis then. I wouldn’t have changed any of the lead actress nominees from 2010.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: 2010 Supporting Ladies: Strong competition, weak nominees?!

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.