Home Forums Movies 2011 Leading Ladies: Strong Year, Weak Lineup?

2011 Leading Ladies: Strong Year, Weak Lineup?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

Since Vincelette created a thread about the 2010 Best Supporting Actress race and how it was a strong year supporting ladies yet wasn’t really represented in the actual lineup, I figured I’d create my own thread for what I found to be a pretty flustering case: the 2011 Best Actress race. 

From that lineup, I would say Rooney Mara was best in show. Haven’t seen Glenn Close but the rest gave simply good performances in either crap (The Iron Lady) or ho-hum (The Help, My Week With Marilyn) movies.

A lot of the best performances were kinda thrown under a bus:

Tilda Swinton, We Need To Talk About Kevin
    Charlize Theron, Young Adult 
    Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene
    Brit Marling, Another Earth
    Olivia Colman, Tyrannosaur
    Adepero Oduye, Pariah
    Kristen Wiig, Bridesmaids
    Kristen Dunst, Melancholia 
    Charlotte Gainsbourg, Melancholia

What were some of your favorite performances from this year? Let’s discuss. 

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe the inclusion of Close and Davis helped Streep win her category. For some reason if more younger actresses made the lineup I believe the Academy would be more incline to award them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Patrick
    Participant
    Topics:

Kristen Wiig deserved a nomination, but it seems like it’s the rare comedy that gets a nomination in one of the lead categories (usually for a man).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

My Top 15

https://stufflikemine.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/2011s-leading-ladies-top-15/

Streep deserved to win in a weak category, but it was Swinton’s award. Davis’ performance is highly overrated in “The Help” and Glenn Close is just dreadful in “Albert Nobbs”. I liked Rooney Mara and Michelle Williams.

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Participant
    Topics:

I hated this category that year. As much as I wanted Viola to win, Rooney is the only one I would consider keeping around. The other 4 are Swinton, Dunst, Theron, and Olsen.

2011 as a whole could use a complete do-over, imo. 

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Juliette Binoche in Certified Copy
    Tilda Swinton in We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Yun Jung-hie in Poetry

^ To me, these are still three of the decade’s most essential performances and all were eligible that year. I knew Binoche and Jung-hie were never going to happen, but it still annoys me that Tilda had every precursor she had needed and still missed out (I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone before her had the BAFTA/BFCA/Globe/SAG combo and missed out even if it happens more often now). Oduye in Pariah and Colman in Tyrannosaur are good calls, as well, and I would include Sareh Bayat in A Separation.  

I do quite like the nominated performances of Viola Davis and Meryl Streep, but I can see why not everyone would. Viola held her film with a strong dignity, doing a lot while deceptively looking like relatively little. I really like how Meryl played with Thatcher’s self-perception of herself through the older Margaret’s flashbacks, and her older Margaret was some of the best work she’s done in decades; if she had to win another lead Oscar in the last ten years I’m kind of glad it was for that. I think Williams nailed something interesting about the Marilyn/Norma dichotomy, but I don’t think the film was focused on the right questions and Monroe’s shoes were always going to be a bit too big for her to fill. I think Rooney had some good intense moments that really highlighted the contrast to the rest of her performance, which doesn’t really feature many interesting choices or not that much energy (especially compared to Noomi Rapace). But Glenn Close’s nomination is what I think is ridiculous; I love her as much as the next actressexual in general but that film is SO flat and whatever might have worked on stage did NOT jump out at the screen — but right in the midst of voting season suddenly there’s a news item of how she was so deadly ill with the flu but she was so determined to make the movie that she powered through it. Give me a BREAK. Over Tilda?! Hell no. Beyond unnecessary.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Weak lineup but Streep deserved to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Not motivated to see Close or Mara, although a part of me wants to see Close just to see how that movie is.  As for the ones I’ve seen, Davis is terriffic, although I get tired of The Help since I’ve seen it so often. Streep is quite impressive too, though we know it’s just a walk in the park for her. She’s quite good though and I don’t mind her win as much, although Viola’s loss makes me sad.  Williams is unbelievable as Marilyn Monroe, although she has her moments. 

As for the snubbed contenders, I’ve seen Theron and I think she should have definitely been nominated.  

ReplyCopy URL
    GhostOrchid
    Participant
    Topics:

Good year, predictable line up, Meryl’s best chance in years, Glenn “welcomed back” with a passion project, the Academy would never touch films like WNTTAK or Melancholia and they just didn’t care about Young Adult or Margaret or Martha Marcy May Marlene or whatever, instead they nominated Incredible Loud&Incredible Close and War Horse for BP.
    Was everyone okay with the rest of the winners?

ReplyCopy URL
    Sab21
    Topics:

That was the year, that featured two of the most terrible snubs in the leading acting categories of this decade, probably of this century for me: Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin and Michael Fassbender for Shame – both of whom should have won. Kirsten Dunst also definitely deserved a nomination. 

I haven’t seen Glenn Close, but I think the other nominees are solid, but not spectacular by any means. I would have probably picked Michelle Williams, she really brought something to her role. Meryl has some great scenes, but I really think that the movie and the screenplay really harm her – more scenes about Thatcher, when she was in the prime of her time as prime minister would have given Streep more possibilities to shine. Streep was my second or third choice out of that line-up, not sure if I prefer her or Mara.

But I’ve never understood all that noise about Viola Davis. Some good moments, yeah, but I don’t think her performance was that special. 

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty weak year in general for the Oscars. Olsen was my personal winner, and agreed with Davis’, Streep’s and Mara’s noms, Streep was deserving of a win. She was brilliant in Iron Lady.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

My line up would have been:
    1. Olsen
    2. Williams
    3. Swinton 
    4. Mara
    5. Wiig

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: 2011 Leading Ladies: Strong Year, Weak Lineup?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.