Home Forums Movies 2012 BEST DOCUMENTARY – short list announced

2012 BEST DOCUMENTARY – short list announced

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

“Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry,” Never Sorry LLC

“Bully,” The Bully Project LLC

“Chasing Ice,” Exposure

“Detropia,” Loki Films

“Ethel,” Moxie Firecracker Films

“5 Broken Cameras,” Guy DVD Films

“The Gatekeepers,” Les Films du Poisson, Dror Moreh Productions, Cinephi

“The House I Live In,” Charlotte Street Films, LLC

“How to Survive a Plague,” How to Survive a Plague LLC

“The Imposter,” Imposter Pictures Ltd.

“The Invisible War,” Chain Camera Pictures

“Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God,” Jigsaw Productions in association with Wider Film Projects and Below the Radar Films

“Searching for Sugar Man,” Red Box Films

“This Is Not a Film,” Wide Management

“The Waiting Room,” Open’hood, Inc.

lots of surprise (though there always are) omissions – Central Park West, West of Memphis, Marley, Jiru Dreams of Sushi, Samsara, Queen of Versailles, Room 237 among them.

So no Oscars for Ken Burns or Peter Jackson in this category this year.    

Bette Streep
    Topics:

The Documentary Feature category always stirs up controversy.

I’m curious to know about the 111 other features that were eligible but didn’t make the short list.

Does anyone have a link to the full list of documentaries that were eligible this year? There were apparently 126 altogether.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I’m rooting for Jafar Panahi like crazy! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordell Martin
    Participant
    Topics:

Pissed that Brookyln Castle, Marley, Bad 25, and the Central Park 5 didn’t make the cut!

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

What Renaton is talking about is This Is Not a Film. It was a clandestinely made film in Iran by the director of The White Balloon and other terrific films before he began his prison term for opposing the Iranian government (and also banned from making films for 20 years, a particularly cruel added sentence). It premiered at Cannes 2011, played at most major fests, and played limited runs in the US.

I don’t know if this will happen, but if it makes the final 5, one or more of the competitors might announce that they prefer solidarity with Panahi over winning the Oscar themselves. But it could be that winning might make his life more difficult. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I think his life is probably hell already after getting the film made. And I don’t think bigger harm than it already has been done would happen, because it would attract too much attention, as it’s bound to find it’s way into the news and make the story even bigger than it already is. Although you might be right too. But it’s just something that shouldn’t just be ignored by the Oscars. Whoever wins, must at least acknowledge the situation in their speech.

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Topics:

Want to read something funny? Of course you do!
    —————————————————————-
    ‘2016’ Oscar Snub Has Filmmakers Claiming Political Bias
    3:08 PM PST 12/4/2012 by Paul Bond

Gerald Molen, who produced the Academy Award-winning ‘Schindler’s List,’ said the box-office success of the anti-Obama documentary proves the film was a hit: “The action confirms my opinion that the bias against anything from a conservative point of view is dead on arrival in Hollywood.”

Gerald Molen, the Oscar-winning producer of Schindler’s List, is claiming political bias because a documentary movie he produced this year isn’t up for an Oscar, even though that film, 2016: Obama’s America, made more money at the box office than the combined earning of the 15 films the Academy deemed eligible.

2016 is a negative take on President Barack Obama. It was co-written and directed by author Dinesh D’Souza, and earned $33.4 million at the domestic box office. But its omission on the list of the 15 documentaries the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Monday would advance in the voting process makes it ineligible for an Oscar.

“Dinesh warned me this might happen,” Molen laughed on Tuesday. “The action confirms my opinion that the bias against anything from a conservative point of view is dead on arrival in Hollywood circles. The film’s outstanding success means that America went to see the documentary in spite of how Hollywood feels about it.” 

D’Souza echoed his producer’s words.

“I want to thank the Academy for not nominating our film,” D’Souza joked. “By ignoring 2016, the top performing box-office hit of 2012, and pretending that films like Searching for Sugar Man and This Is Not a Film are more deserving of an Oscar, our friends in Hollywood have removed any doubt average Americans may have had that liberal political ideology, not excellence, is the true standard of what receives awards.”

The documentaries from 2012 that the Academy has deemed Oscar-worthy besides Sugar Man and Not a Film are: Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry; Bully; Chasing Ice; Detropia;  Ethel; 5 Broken Cameras; The Gatekeepers; The House I Live In;  How to Survive a Plague; The Imposter; The Invisible War; Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God; and The Waiting Room. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The Queen of Versailles snubbed?

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched The Watchkeepers, the Israeli doc that opened only in LA and only for a week (not yet in NY). It plays in Sundance next month (already played Toronto and NY) before opening for real later on.

It is a strong film because of its journalistic discovery and the news involved. Centering on interviews with members of Shin Bat, the Israeli CIA, usually super secretive. It traces the transformation from Israel from the 6 Day War (1967) till now, and how the occupation of Palestinian territories has transformed the country, in the eyes of these intelligence agents, for worse.

This category is tricky. Nothing is certain here, including this being nominated. But I think this is a strong candidate to win (I’ve seen 10 of the 15 so far).     

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA Picks 5 Nominees for Best Documentary Director

Published: January 14, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Post a Comment

By Lucas Shaw

The Directors Guild of America announced its five nominees for best director of a documentary on Monday, honoring Kirby Dick, Malik Bendejelloul, Lauren Greenfield, David France and Alison Klayman.

Dick is nominated for “The Invisible War,” which examines sexual assault in the United States military. It premiered at Sundance in 2012, where it received the Documentary Audience Award. Dick has previously made several documentaries, including “This Film Is Not Yet Rated.”

Bendejelloul is nominated for “Searching for Sugar Man,” which follows two fans who track down obscure Detroit-based musician Rodriguez. The film has rejuvenated the career of the singer-songwriter, who was unknown in the United States but popular in South Africa, though he didn’t know about it.

Greenfield is nominated for “The Queen of Versailles,” which depicts a Florida couple that attempted to build the most lavish single-family home in the nation on the precipice of the financial crisis.

France is nominated for “How to Survive a Plague,” which revisits how AIDS activism helped the disease become more manageable for those afflicted.

Alison Klayman will compete with “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry,” a film about the artist and activist, and his disputes with the Chinese government.

All five are first-time nominees, and three of them — Bendjelloul, France and Klayman — received the nominations for their first features. “Sugar Man, “How to Survive a Plague” and “The Invisible War” were also nominated for Oscars in the Best Documentary Feature category; “Ai Weiwei” was shortlisted but not nominated.

The DGA awards will take place Feb. 2.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.