2012 Oscars reaction thread Pt 2

Home // Forums // Movies // 2012 Oscars reaction thread Pt 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

The earlier one reached 530 and replies disallowed, so for whatever reaction is left….

I wondered if the 12 separate feature films that won was a modern record (earlier years with more awards and often fewer big winners there were often more). Turns out not – 2007 had 14.
    The years between went from 10-12.   

Benedick
    Participant
    Topics:

A NYtimes reader shares her thoughts –

“I feel so disconnected from the fawning, self-congratulatory world of Hollywood. So I haven’t watched the Oscars in years. In fact, I haven’t seen any of the nominated movies. Last time I checked I was number 26 on the library waiting list for “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” But this morning, of course, I’m listening to NPR on my way to work, my head full of the usual worries, about the job prospects of my well-educated though underemployed daughters, about the grueling week ahead working two full-time jobs, about whether the 14-year-old jalopy I drive will last the winter. Then, suddenly, I hear the earnest voice of Anne Hathaway, ” I had a dream (pause, pause, sob, sob) and it came true.” Barf doesn’t begin to cover my reaction.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Good for Streisand to be there with the first (?) tie since hers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

I bailed officially from Awards Daily today.  Too much drama and not enough self-control.  The mods aren’t happy that Riva lost, so one of them posted a pic of Lawrence abd her middle digit, and the other posted this titled article, “Old White Guys Prefer Hot Young Babes”. Lawrence’s Oscar is being devalued by the hour by all the haters out there. I’m done with it all.  They couldve posted a pic of her fall, if they wanted to make her look like an airhead, but the middle finger made the cut, I’m suggesting to provoke a reaction. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

There have been 2 or 3 ties in shorts/doc categories since, where perhaps only a couple hundred people voted and the chances for this were much higher.

This I believe was only the 3rd tie in categories in which all members voted (might be wrong about that, but close at worst). And one of those ties wasn’t (Beery/March were 3 votes apart, when there were at most a few hundred voters). 

ReplyCopy URL
    dancebear
    Topics:

Anyone know what Kristen Stewart was on??

ReplyCopy URL
    Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

Getting my 8-Ball out and considering how winners will be perceived in the future:

Argo – weak (believe that Affleck will make much stronger films and people will at least remember Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, and The Master)
    Lee – fine to weak (though Avatar will likely be considered the more important 3D work and others will come) 
    Day-Lewis – OK (likely overshadowed by his Blood performance, and Phoenix will have his fans)
    Lawrence – weak (along the lines of Paltrow and Witherspoon’s wins – surely going to be better in the future)
    Hathaway – hard to tell but probably OK (setting aside personal feelings, she has fans for the crying but I don’t think Les Mis will age well)
    Waltz – liked (solid work in successful Tarantino pics)

So, yeah — not strong. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

Day Lewis winning for Lincoln will be remembered as strong in my opinion. How can you even argue with it??? Everyone was on their feet when he won. It’s shameful to even say he’ll be considered just okay. Seriously, enough with the hating.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Logan
    Participant
    Topics:

“Enough with the hating.” Octavia Spencer got a standing ovation (as did Bullock) – both performances aren’t often written about as being great wins. How can I argue about it? My guessing that Phoenix’s performance will be remembered as stronger (since The Master’s probably going to be more respected by film enthusiasts) and his work in There Will Be Blood overshadows his other work (including My Left Foot).

Nice overreaction, though. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

Day Lewis winning for Lincoln will be remembered as strong in my opinion. How can you even argue with it??? Everyone was on their feet when he won. It’s shameful to even say he’ll be considered just okay. Seriously, enough with the hating.

Hating? How so? Please don’t accuse someone of “hating” for simply expressing an opinion you don’t agree with.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone know what Kristen Stewart was on??

All. 😉 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

”Enough with the hating.” Octavia Spencer got a standing ovation (as did Bullock) – both performances aren’t often written about as being great wins. How can I argue about it? My guessing that Phoenix’s performance will be remembered as stronger (since The Master’s probably going to be more respected by film enthusiasts) and his work in There Will Be Blood overshadows his other work (including My Left Foot).

Nice overreaction, though. 

I wasn’t overreacting. You just sound like you’re saying his performance was OK for the sake of being different. Lewis’s win was not only expected, it was deserved and most people agree he was more then deserving. I don’t know anyone who’se talking about The Master like they do Lincoln, and yes that’s your opinion but I’m not going to let a comment like that just slide since I feel Lewis more then deserves accolades and not a comparison to Sandra Bullock.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Ethel Charles
    Topics:

A NYtimes reader shares her thoughts –
    “I feel so disconnected from the fawning, self-congratulatory world of Hollywood. So I haven’t watched the Oscars in years. In fact, I haven’t seen any of the nominated movies. Last time I checked I was number 26 on the library waiting list for “Beasts of the Southern Wild.” But this morning, of course, I’m listening to NPR on my way to work, my head full of the usual worries, about the job prospects of my well-educated though underemployed daughters, about the grueling week ahead working two full-time jobs, about whether the 14-year-old jalopy I drive will last the winter. Then, suddenly, I hear the earnest voice of Anne Hathaway, ” I had a dream (pause, pause, sob, sob) and it came true.” Barf doesn’t begin to cover my reaction.”

Sounds like a ghastly life! Two full-time jobs might suggest a 70+ hour work week. Yuck! I’d prescribe some movies but fast to get this poor dear into some better realities, even if for a few hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

My TalkPop Oscar recaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1oPvoFSM8c

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

In all of the “Chicago” hubbub, there was no mentioning of Martin Richards in the In Memoriam tribute? Tsk, tsk.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Reply To: 2012 Oscars reaction thread Pt 2

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.