Home Forums Movies 2013 Post-Oscars Ceremony Comments & Reactions

2013 Post-Oscars Ceremony Comments & Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 210 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Scottferguson
DominicCobb
KT
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Post your post-Oscars comments here.

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Congrats to the GD tech team – no problems tonight. Thank you!

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes. Thank you goldderby.

ReplyCopy URL
    unsunganthem
    Participant
    Topics:

Way to go internet. This would be even funnier if Idina hadn’t been the unfortunate victim of Travolta’s idiocy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/if-john-travolta-had-to-pronounce-everyones-name-at-the-osca 

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I never thought my predictions would be better than last year (20 of 24), but somehow went 22 of 24 tonight. There are probably people that had perfect records, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Well, most of our comments are in the other thread already.

To rehash:
    – Disappointing how predictable it was.  This doesn’t lend itself well for people who pour over the Oscars for months and really analyze each race, where the upsets can come (they didn’t).

– Disappointed Ellen didn’t learn from her past mistakes.  The Oscars is not like her TV talk show….you cannot use gimmicks in the audience.  It doesn’t play well for the world stage.  Also, Ellen doesn’t have the natural host abilities that the best Oscar hosts had (Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg), who could be reactionary + entertaining and play off the audience.  I think Ellen had people bored there…Scorsese was out of it, so was Bale.  And her entire monologue went south after the Liza joke didn’t go over well; from there, the excitement went out and she didn’t know how to respond.

– Will Smith presenting Best Picture?  WHAT THE WHAT?  Sidney Poitier, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford…come on!

– John Ridley had a bug up his ass and it showed.  What was going on with him?

– Immaculately rehearsed speeches by the acting winners.  Made me miss spontaneity and sheer exuberance of a surprise winner.

– Plastic surgery was very clear in the HD presentation.  Kim Novak and Goldie Hawn were the most obvious.  Novak looked like she had trouble talking.  I saw Eva Marie Saint on TV and she looks fab, aging gracefully…she looks wonderful in her late 80s with no work done.

– Lastly, Whoopi nailed her intro to Wizard of Oz.  She’s a natural in how she reads her script, being both passionate for film + funny with her ruby heels and black/white stockings.  A little glimpse of why she was so successful as a host. 

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

No real surprises, I bet many had perfect scores. All the limbs I went out on broke, so I’ve only got like 17-19 right, I don’t even remember.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Ellen did a pretty fine job. To me, a good Oscar host is someone who can make the crowd really feel comfortable and integrate with them well. Personally, I really enjoyed the pizza gag (particularly Brad Pitt’s reaction after she complained he was only paying $20) and the Twitter photo (surprised to see so many people in the front row game for that). 

And I don’t mind predictability when there are some satisfying winners. Aside from Act of Killing losing Documentary, I’m not sure that there are any that I can really dislike from this year. That win for Her was probably the most inspired choice by the Academy in that category since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

The Hunger Games for Best Picture? Are you kidding me? Only films that are worthy of being best picture to each voter should win best picture. It doesn’t matter what the box office is. It doesn’t even matter what critics think. Sometimes art and commerce coincide and that’s fine. Like you said, they are not mutually exclusive. But commerce shouldn’t ever be misunderstood as a criteria for quality. Some of the best movie classics ever made made no money in its day – including wizard of oz, citizen kane and blade runner. I don’t think the oscars deliberately chose to go art house. It’s just that there are so very many populist films that simply aren’t the best. Frozen included.

Thanks for this. Commerce should never be the only criteria for this endeavor.  But there was a time from the mid 90-s until mid 00’s where critical acclaim and popularity intersected (Forrest Gump, Titanic, Return of the King). That time has passed. And who knows if it will ever be embraced again.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this proves going with the GD favorites might automatically get you 80% or better. I’m a bit dissapointed I took a few risks. 
    Like I said on the other thread: 19/24 (5 wrong, 4 of them second choice)

ReplyCopy URL
    Milo Kunis
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought it was a fantastic telecast. First year in many that I have not taken thirty minute breaks, returning to speed through the crap by way of DVR to get to the big categories. 

Things I would have changed:

Best Picture winner AND presenter. Will Smith? Seriously? 

Oh! And McConaughey lost me when he began preaching the gospel.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Great night for Warners (except) – 10 Oscars out of the 19 non-mainstream categories with 3 different films

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

Liked the ceremony as well, one of the best/smoothest-running in recent years. Ellen was fine. I prefer her interactions with the audience than someone just standing up there throwing jokes and then joking about reactions. I do support a Whoopi return.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

With Ellen, there was so much dead space.  She didn’t go broke for laughs (instead resorting to tacky moves), and at times her monologue felt like it had no flow.  It wasn’t building toward something, and then just ended, rather suddenly.  I don’t think a lot of the audience was wholly into her.  Some were simply not feeling it.  Also, quite a few times, she didn’t come out right away, which was kind of a weird effect as the camera waited for her.  She then dressed as Glinda, when Whoopi had already done the dress-up play with her red heels and stockings.  I think the audience is more at ease when they are laughing.  The host can put people at ease that way while still remaining on stage…there’s no need to go through the audience (and some people looked really uncomfortable when she went near them, like oh shit!).  Crystal and Goldberg had so much more flair, as actors, and at their best totally owned the role and made the show infinitely more successful and gave it momentum even when going long.  I think the host job demands an actor-comedian who can be comfortable with at the moment improvisation, playing off the audience, and can get the laughs without being offensive.

ReplyCopy URL
    salmonpie
    Topics:

Craig Zadan and Neil Meron need to go.
    This is the second year in a row the show’s been a snooze fest.
    Ellen was not funny.
    The way they presented the technical clips were uninspired.
    Some of the presenters were questionable.
    The heroes montages were lazy and unnecessary.
    Even the audience looked bored.
    And this is supposed to be the most watched awards show on television?

The best thing about the show was probably Pharrell Williams’ performance of HAPPY which was fun, energetic, youthful and edgy but I suspect those 2 had nothing to do with it since the rest of the show had none of those qualities by any long shot. THe performance is most likely Williams’ idea.

BRING BACK BILL CONDON!!!

Or hire the folks who run the GRAMMYS or the TONY shows to do this thing.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 210 total)
Reply To: 2013 Post-Oscars Ceremony Comments & Reactions

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.