Home Forums Movies 2013 Tech Categories Discussion Thread

2013 Tech Categories Discussion Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Leonardo
    Topics:

I didn’t include Best Original Song, since I noticed there’s a thread about it already.

Could you all please suggest contenders for the next categories?

Best Film Editing

GRAVITY
    12 YEARS A SLAVE
    THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    NEBRASKA
    RUSH
    AMERICAN HUSTLE
    THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
    BLUE JASMINE 

Best Cinematography

GRAVITY
    12 YEARS A SLAVE
    NEBRASKA
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    ALL IS LOST
    AMERICAN HUSTLE
    THE GREAT GATSBY
    RUSH
    THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
    THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
    PRISONERS 

Best Costume Design

THE GREAT GATSBY
    12 YEARS A SLAVE
    AMERICAN HUSTLE
    OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL
    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    RUSH
    AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
    LEE DANIEL’S THE BUTLER
    SAVING MR. BANKS
    THE INVISIBLE WOMAN
    THE BOOK THIEF
    BLUE JASMINE
    THERESE 

Best Production Design

THE GREAT GATSBY
    12 YEARS A SLAVE
    AMERICAN HUSTLE
    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    RUSH
    SAVING MR. BANKS
    THE BOOK THIEF
    LEE DANIEL’S THE BUTLER
    GRAVITY

Best Make-Up & Hair

AMERICAN HUSTLE
    RUSH
    LEE DANIEL’S THE BUTLER
    DALLAS BUYER CLUB
    12 YEARS A SLAVE 
    THE BOOK THIEF 

Best Visual Effects

GRAVITY
    PACIFIC RIM
    ELYSIUM
    MAN OF STEEL
    THOR: THE DARK WORLD
    STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS
    IRON MAN 3
    OBLIVION 

Best Sound Mixing

GRAVITY
    INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    PACIFIC RIM
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
    RUSH
    ALL IS LOST
    MAN OF STEEL
    ELYSIUM
    AMERICAN HUSTLE
    12 YEARS A SLAVE 

Best Sound Editing

GRAVITY
    ALL IS LOST
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
    RUSH
    PACIFIC RIM
    MAN OF STEEL
    ELYSIUM

Best Original Score

GRAVITY
    12 YEARS A SLAVE
    ALL IS LOST 
    SAVING MR. BANKS
    THE BOOK THIEF
    RUSH
    NEBRASKA
    MAN OF STEEL
    MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM

Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Blue jasmine for editing

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Prisoners is not a very good movie, but Deakins has to be considered a possibility for Cinematography. Not only is he a big name, but his work is by far the best aspect of that movie.  Could end up a nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Not having seen Gravity, The Great Gatsby needs to win cinematography, even if just for how amazing Leonardo DiCaprio looked.

Only God Forgives is something that deserves to contend for the wins in cinematography and score and I would not mind an editing nomination.

To the Wonder pairs Terrence Malick with Emmanuel Lubezki again, so of course the cinematography deserves a nomination, but it should not be considered for the win like The Tree of Life.

It would be cool if Spring Breakers managed an editing or sound nomination.

Those are the technical achievements that have stood out to me so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

If this is seen stuff then Book thief for production design, costumes, and hair and make up, Monsters University in score
     personal Unseen stuff but good early word: lone Survivor film editing, sound editing, sound mixing, and makeup. Banks, Frozen should be contenders in score, 

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Lubezki arguably does his best work in Gravity. The Great Gatsby is one of my least favorite movies of the year, so I’d be happy to see it shutout entirely.

Rush should do well in the sound categories, and it has that dual storyline which the editors love. I think American Hustle will score many noms here because they have such outrageous hair, makeup, costumes, etc… Plus, David O Russell is primed for a BP sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Prisoners is not a very good movie, but Deakins has to be considered a possibility for Cinematography. Not only is he a big name, but his work is by far the best aspect of that movie.  Could end up a nominee.

I disagree that Prisoners is “:not a very good movie”. It could be one of my favorites this year so far. I’d be lying big time if I didnt admit that I am rooting for Roger Deakins. His work is subtle here, but always masterful. I’d LOVE to see him win, although Lubezki has been hosed before, and this time, his work is front and centre and impossible to overlook.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

To be fair, there are moments in Prisoners I really liked. I love the scene Jake Gyllenhaal sees Paul Dano’s RV and arrests him right in the beginning. The shots and the blue lights are quite captivating. I love some of the interrogation scenes. I liked the labyrinth motif before it became too much of an element in the story.  But I was sorta let down by the final third or so of the film. I thought it was a really interesting film before all the twists started piling up and and the pieces came together. But Deakins does a great job here, as usual, and he’d be quite deserving of a nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    drenja
    Participant
    Topics:

Gravity is lock for Cinematografphy and i think for visuals too, since it is only one from that category which is going to be nominated for Best Picuture and we know that the movie which is nominated for best picture wins visual effects. I think that Iron Man 3 can get a nomination for that category because first two were nominated. Inside Llewyn Davis is probably going to do fine with cinematography and sound nominations and i can see The Great Gatsby totaly skipped and i would be fine with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Leonardo
    Topics:

I know it’s still too early but I think these are frontrunners to win the tech categories:

Film Editing: GRAVITY
    Cinematography: GRAVITY
    Production Design: THE GREAT GATSBY / 12 YEARS A SLAVE
    Costume Design: THE GREAT GATSBY / 12 YEARS A SLAVE / AMERICAN HUSTLE
    Make Up & Hair: THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
    Visual Effects: GRAVITY
    Sound Mixing: GRAVITY / INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS
    Sound Editing: GRAVITY
    Score: GRAVITY / 12 YEARS A SLAVE 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, there are moments in Prisoners I really liked. I love the scene Jake Gyllenhaal sees Paul Dano’s RV and arrests him right in the beginning. The shots and the blue lights are quite captivating. I love some of the interrogation scenes. I liked the labyrinth motif before it became too much of an element in the story.  But I was sorta let down by the final third or so of the film. I thought it was a really interesting film before all the twists started piling up and and the pieces came together. But Deakins does a great job here, as usual, and he’d be quite deserving of a nom.

Well, I am heavily biased in favour of “Prisoners”. Denis Villeneuve, along with David Cronenberg, are two of my favorite Canadian directors. I’ve seen all of Villeneuve’s other films, and, despite the talk about the ‘disappointing’ box office, I’d venture to guess that it’s already made more dollars than all of his other films put together. I dont know how I feel about his venturing into Hollywoodish English- speaking films, but I hope that this is the beginning of further exposure and accolades for his works.
    Funny thing about the Cinematography Oscars. So often, the one we think is going to ‘win’ doesnt. Although I cant imagine Lubezki missing this one, I’d be very happy seeing Deakins at least nominated, ….so that he can lose 11 in a row.
    I also really enjoyed Melissa Leo, particularly in retrospect. Hope she can snag a nod.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.