Home Forums Movies 2013 was not as strong was 2012

2013 was not as strong was 2012

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Stardust
Jason Travis
Ryan Lapierre
  • Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

When people say that the 2013 Oscar race was stronger than the 2012 Oscar race, I scoff. Not that the quality of the films were better or worse, which is arguable depending on who you are, but it’s just that the race was so predictable for the most part. Either Gravity or Twelve Years a Slave won BP, with Director usually going to Alfonso Cuaron, Actor to Chiwetel Ejiofor, Actress to Cate Blanchett, Sup. Actor to Jared Leto, Original Screenplay to Her, Adapted Screenplay to Twelve Years, Visual Effects to Gravity, Song to “Let it Go”, and Cinematography to Gravity.

Of course, these are not necessarily bad choices. A lot of these choices are correct in their own right. It’s just that in 2012 we had a variety of films winning in the various circuits. One circuit would give BP to Argo, another to Zero Dark Thirty, another to Life of Pi, another to Silver Linings Playbook, and while there was for the most part a clear frontrunner, it was a more competitive race for more films. Seven out of the nine films up for BP last year won at least one BP category in the circuit, and were still hotly in contention. This year, it usually goes to Gravity or Twelve Years. True, Her did win a couple and American Hustle won once, but honestly, I would like a lot of variety. It keeps the race lively, instead of predictable.

That being said, some years there’s just such a clear and obvious winner that they just clean up in the circuits. Javier Bardem, Heath Ledger and Christoph Waltz all cleaned up in the circuits winning almost every Sup. Actor category in at almost every award ceremony. And that’s great in and of itself, but I wish that they would spread the wealth a little more.

Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

2012 was one of the most predictable years in recent memory, in no small part thanks to the director snub brouhaha.

THis year nothing but Actress and VFX is 100% certain. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

This year awards season has been quite predictable and boring, but overall I think 2013 was a better year for quality films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

I enjoyed 2012 very much- lot’s of up in the air categories-

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: I think this was a close battle. I still think Tommy Lee Jones was a strong second, and I also think Robert De Niro was getting last minute votes too. A great race to the last second.

BEST DIRECTOR: Another one I was inbetween Spielberg and Lee for, and also that Russell could have pulled an upset too.

BEST ACTRESS: Yeah, yeah- Jennifer Lawrence was pretty much sewn up- BUT Riva’s BAFTA win made me think otherwise. And earlier in the season, Lawrence was competing with Jessica Chastain.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Tarantino or Haneke?

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Argo or Lincoln?

This year def has some up in the air categories too- including Best Picture. It will be a fun night! 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Stardust
    Participant
    Topics:

I suppose Gabriel’s and OP’s predictions will be 85% or more accurate.

^Tarantino and Argo were certainly winning screenplay (w/ SLP as the upset), and in my view director was an easy prediction. Lee w/ Pi was easily the beneficiary of the Affleck snub. No passion at all for Spielberg, and the Clinton stunt could only hurt him/the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

2012 was exciting regarding Supporting Actor and Director, but the rest of the categories were pretty much sewn up.

DDL imo had an undeserving winning sweep that year for that boring/safe performance, over the other four contenders who did something more unique.
    Anne Hathaway is amazing as both an actress and a person, but she shouldn’t have won that easily either.
    No matter what people say, there was no way Jen was losing. She was too well respected that year by both fans and critics, and her performance was perfection. 
    Argo is the definition of overrated and awful. We knew it was going to happen, but it had no business winning over masterpieces like Beasts, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty, and Life of Pi. 

This year is actually going to be exciting. Blanchett is the only virtual lock for Best Actress (Rightfully so), along with other locks like Gravity for Visual Effects, and Frozen for Best Animated Picture. Everything else isn’t 100% certain like it was mostly last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

I will NEVER forgive the Academy for snubbing The Master in so many categories last year! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

I will NEVER forgive the Academy for snubbing The Master in so many categories last year! 

Hard to believe. All signs point to you hating that film, it certainly isn’t your GoldDerby avatar after all! LOL JK 😉 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

The Master deserved a lot more love – a Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay nomination – and Joaquin Phoenix deserved to win Best Actor 

ReplyCopy URL
    K-Hole
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither 2012 nor 2013 is going down in the history books as one of the greatest years in cinema, but like most years, there were a few great films, some very good films, and a whole lotta mediocre and crap films.

At least in 2013 filmmakers tackled some important subjects, and unlike 2012 did so without the assistance and approval of the CIA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Travis
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s easy to say past years had most races sewn up because the dust has settled. I recall QUITE a bit of tension last year in many categories; so many people saying Amour would still win Screenplay because voters would be turned off by Tarantino’s violent and racy script (though I predicted it); plenty of folks predicting Spielberg, and only last minute did I see more predicitions for Ang Lee. 2012 was very up in the air for many, as is 2013. 

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Im sorry but 12 Years a Slave and Gravity shits on all movies released in 2012. Personal opinion

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I think both are great years for different reason.  Two of the stronger years we’ve had this past decade.  There’s no point in saying one is better than the other, because we should all just be happy that this isn’t 2011 again.  Woof…  What a lame year THAT was…  

ReplyCopy URL
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

I was just talking about this.  I wholeheartedly disagree.  2013 was definitely a stronger year than before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

2011 was a terrible year I hated half the movies up for best picture. 2012 and 2013 were great years. I hope we have more like them. Overall I would say that 2012 was slightly better.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: 2013 was not as strong was 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.